Fw: [woodandbrass] Scottish and Irish W&B cameras

  • Eric Evans
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 24, 2013

      Sent: Sunday, February 24, 2013 1:58 PM
      Subject: Re: [woodandbrass] Scottish and Irish W&B cameras

      Marcel,
                There was a fairly active scene in Scotland, it seems, largely in Glasgow, also in Edinburgh, but I have found zilch going on in Wales, although there are several significant cities there, and there must have been some photographic activity.
          As well as Birnie, Lizars and Trotter, there were, in Glasgow, W A C Smith (one of which I have just acquired and not on web site yet), George Mason:
      and A. Riddell:
      There was also a Hume, (as opposed to Hulme in Birmingham), and McGhie and Bolton, among others, but I have nothing made by either of these yet.
      If I come across a Welsh connection, I will be in touch.
      Sent: Saturday, February 23, 2013 10:55 PM

      Hi again Eric

      I seem to remember we corresponded about Robinson previously.

      Of course we also collaborated on an article on your hal plate field camera by Alex Birnie of Dundee that was published in the PCCGB journal 3 years ago http://www.woodandbrass.co.uk/detail.php?cat_num=0143.

      We shouldn't forget to mention J. Lizars of Glasgow. I have two by that firm, a half plate field camera and 4"x5" Challenge and I note you have a quarter plate Challenge: http://www.woodandbrass.co.uk/detail.php?cat_num=0054.

      Were no cameras made in Wales?

      Cheers!

      Marcel

      On 24/02/2013 6:00 AM, Eric Evans wrote:

      Hi Marcel,
                    I have one Irish camera, by J. Robinson and sons at their Dublin address, 65 Grafton Street, must be prior to 1887, because that is when they gave up their Irish operation according to C&D. I have also an English one of theirs, with their address at 172, Regent Street, London. I have 2 or 3  Scottish cameras, including a John Trotter; I guess there will be few people apart from you and me, who have one of these. Yours and mine are the only two I know of, anyway.
      Best,
      Sent: Friday, February 22, 2013 10:34 PM
      Subject: Re: [woodandbrass] Chatham Pexton

      Eric

      I too grapple with the use of the work "maker" on the label especially when it seems unlikely that Pexton would have been geared up to produce cameras, given only two examples have surfaced. Maybe these ivory labels were intended for products he did make such as lantern projectors or even lantern slide boxes (although I have yet to see any of these with ivory labels) and he merely used those existing labels on some cameras he bought in. Pure conjecture of course.

      I alway like getting Scottish made cameras because there were somewhat fewer makers there compared to England. My great uncle was a microscope maker in Edinburgh in the Victorian era. I have note found much more than is in Channing and Dunn about Smith other than his christian name is William. My best Glaswegian made camera is by John Trotter.

      Do you have any Irish or Welch made cameras? I have never seen any.

      Cheers!

      Marcel

      =======
      http://www.pctools.com