How to keep track of your collection

  • J. Charles
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 9, 2013
      Hi All,
      As my collection keeps growing, I need help finding an efficient way of keeping track of my purchases, pictures, references before I forget or mix it all!

      How are you guys doing it? Is there a good software out there for wood and brass addict? Any suggestions welcome.

      Charles C
      Phoenix, AZ
    • Ake Borgstrom
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 9, 2013
        Hi Charles,

        Check out Collectiblend.com, there you can create your own inventory on line. It is free.
        Here is my inventory at Collectiblend:
        Some of my cameras are now sold.

        Best regards,

        Ake Borgstrom
        Collector of Antique & 19th Century Cameras
        http://www.photographica.nu

        Hi All,
        As my collection keeps growing, I need help finding an efficient way of keeping track of my purchases, pictures, references before I forget or mix it all!

        How are you guys doing it? Is there a good software out there for wood and brass addict? Any suggestions welcome.

        Charles C
        Phoenix, AZ

      • Rob Niederman
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 10, 2013

          I use a database program such as Microsoft Access. It’s a bit more work to set up, but you can do data sorts & searches, price value totals, and so forth. Here is a screenshot of my entry template for cameras (that’s all I track); but you can also add links to pictures and adapt it for anything acquired. - Rob

          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 11, 2013
          I also use a custom MSAccess database. It is not very difficult to
          learn enough to make up a database and form. Attached is my screenshot.
          Cameras, catalogs, other accessories get tracked. The other half of
          the story is having tie-on tags or markings on each piece so that items
          that have a history together stay forever linked. For instance, the
          camera pictured in my example would have six pieces marked: the case,
          the camera body, the lensboard, the plateholder, the clip-off back, and
          the ground glass frame that pulls out of the clip-off back.

          On 2/10/2013 9:48 AM, Rob Niederman wrote:
          > I use a database program such as Microsoft Access. It’s a bit more work
          > to set up, but you can do data sorts & searches, price value totals, and
          > so forth. Here is a screenshot of my entry template for cameras (that’s
          > all I track); but you can also add links to pictures and adapt it for
          > anything acquired. - Rob

        • John Rushton
          Message 5 of 11 , Feb 12, 2013
            Hi Larry, Charles and All,

            Would Microsoft Excel be equally good for making a camera inventory? This
            would get around another learning curve for MS Access.

            Best Wishes,
            John

            ________________

            I also use a custom MSAccess database. It is not very difficult to learn
            enough to make up a database and form. Attached is my screenshot.
            Cameras, catalogs, other accessories get tracked. The other half of the
            story is having tie-on tags or markings on each piece so that items that
            have a history together stay forever linked. For instance, the camera
            pictured in my example would have six pieces marked: the case, the camera
            body, the lensboard, the plateholder, the clip-off back, and the ground
            glass frame that pulls out of the clip-off back.

            On 2/10/2013 9:48 AM, Rob Niederman wrote:
            > I use a database program such as Microsoft Access. It's a bit more
            > work to set up, but you can do data sorts & searches, price value
            > totals, and so forth. Here is a screenshot of my entry template for
            > cameras (that's all I track); but you can also add links to pictures
            > and adapt it for anything acquired. - Rob

          • Bill Riley
            Message 6 of 11 , Feb 12, 2013
              John,
              Excel would be a good choice for camera inventory except for the fact that you cannot include pictures associated with a row of cells.  You can insert pictures into the worksheet but it will not stay with the role of cells when you do things like sort and rearrange in different reports.

              You can also insert a pointer to a picture link on your hard drive but that doesn't display with the report.

              I struggled with using Excel, really wanting to make it work.  But, it just didn't meet my needs because of the pictures -- I wanted to display a picture with the information for each item.  In addition, I needed to have the picture stay associated with the information when I sorted all of the items.

              I finally bit the bullet and built an Access database that associated photos of my camera and other items with the data for each camera.

              There are three parts to access:
              1.  The database of records which is fairly easy to set up in a spreadsheet form.
              2.  The user input form which is not necessarily required.  I created a user input form but rarely use it.  I prefer to just go to the database spreadsheet form and enter the data there.
              3.   The report form is why you create a database.  That is where I recommend you spending most of your effort.

              One more limitation with Excel is that you can only enter a maximum of 255 characters within a single cell.   I found that too limiting for the description field in my records.  That was true on earlier versions.  The cell size limitation may have changed in newer versions of Excel.

              My experience was with an earlier version of Access ... years ago. I understand that the newer versions of Access have many good wizards that help you through the process of creating a database.

              Your solution?
              It all depends upon your needs. If you need a ledger without photos and a verbose description then an Excel spreadsheet would be great.

              If, like me, you want photos, more detailed descriptions, and perhaps sophisticated reporting, Access may be your solution.

              All the best,
              Bill

              Message 7 of 11 , Feb 12, 2013

                Hi Bill,

                Thank you for your comprehensive summation of the virtues of Access/Excel. I appreciate your time and effort.

                I have just tried to insert an image to an Excel page and it seems quite straight forward. With the desired cell selected one just has to click on ‘Insert’, then ‘Picture’, and then choose the file of the chosen image from the Windows Explorer pane that appears. It is then coped to the chosen cell as an image, not a link. The image is then expandable to whatever size one wishes.  I don’t see why it will not respond as a normal cell for sorting purposes.  I will give it a more prolonged trial when time permits.

                Thank you once again.

                Message 8 of 11 , Feb 12, 2013
                  As far as entering the data, it would. But as far as displaying,
                  ordering, and using the data, it would not. Each row in Excell is very
                  much the same as a data record in Access. In fact, you can translate
                  back and forth between Excell and Access in that way.

                  Here are the things that I use Access for that Excell cannot do:

                  -display a photo or photos of the object while looking at its data
                  -look at only Anthony (or any other manufacturer) cameras
                  -view stereocards on the computer in stereo
                  -for each collection item, by entering a short acronym, to have the
                  entire company name and address and other company data instantly
                  associated with it, because company data is stored in another table
                  (e.g., all I enter is "ao" and the computer knows that it is American
                  Optical Co., Scovill Mfg. Co. proprietors, address, founding date,
                  ending date, etc.)
                  -(related to the last one) always have a company name (camera model
                  name, any other repetitively entered data) be the same each time, rather
                  than how you thought to enter it that day (Excell's autofill feature
                  helps with this)
                  -produce canned lists, e.g., "cameras not photographed yet", or "cameras
                  made prior to 1900", or "Scovill cameras made prior to 1900", or
                  "cameras without a lens (or an original case)" (to look for potential
                  matches if I am buying a lens or a camera-less case).

                  Currently, my collection database only links two tables: a "collection
                  items" table to a "manufacturer" table. I was going to link in a
                  "models" table to "collection items" which would bring in the beginning
                  and ending dates when each model was made, but it would only be
                  worthwhile if I had lots of the same model (like a Leica collection
                  maybe) so I abandoned it.

                  If you have an Excell spread sheet that contains your data, import it
                  into Access. Then choose <new form> and choose the form wizard to make
                  a form from the resulting table. Done. The rest is making it look like
                  you want (or adding in the Manufacturer's table for repetitive entries).

                • J. Charles Chapuis
                  Message 9 of 11 , Feb 12, 2013
                    Thank you all for your replies. I am looking for something like Larry's screen shot, definitively with a picture and if possible 3 to 4 pics?
                    I guess, I'll have to learn Access, but I meanwhile I'll better use Excel to keep the information at one place.
                    Charles

                    As far as entering the data, it would.  But as far as displaying,
                    ordering, and using the data, it would not.  Each row in Excell is very
                    much the same as a data record in Access.  In fact, you can translate
                    back and forth between Excell and Access in that way.

                    Here are the things that I use Access for that Excell cannot do:

                    -display a photo or photos of the object while looking at its data
                    -look at only Anthony (or any other manufacturer) cameras
                    -view stereocards on the computer in stereo
                    -for each collection item, by entering a short acronym, to have the
                    entire company name and address and other company data instantly
                    associated with it, because company data is stored in another table
                    (e.g., all I enter is "ao" and the computer knows that it is American
                    Optical Co., Scovill Mfg. Co. proprietors, address, founding date,
                    ending date, etc.)
                    -(related to the last one) always have a company name (camera model
                    name, any other repetitively entered data) be the same each time, rather
                    than how you thought to enter it that day (Excell's autofill feature
                    helps with this)
                    -produce canned lists, e.g., "cameras not photographed yet", or "cameras
                    made prior to 1900", or "Scovill cameras made prior to 1900", or
                    "cameras without a lens (or an original case)" (to look for potential
                    matches if I am buying a lens or a camera-less case).

                    Currently, my collection database only links two tables: a "collection
                    items" table to a "manufacturer" table.  I was going to link in a
                    "models" table to "collection items" which would bring in the beginning
                    and ending dates when each model was made, but it would only be
                    worthwhile if I had lots of the same model (like a Leica collection
                    maybe) so I abandoned it.

                    If you have an Excell spread sheet that contains your data, import it
                    into Access.  Then choose <new form> and choose the form wizard to make
                    a form from the resulting table.  Done.  The rest is making it look like
                    you want (or adding in the Manufacturer's table for repetitive entries).

                    On 2/12/2013 4:10 AM, John Rushton wrote:
                    > Hi Larry, Charles and All,
                    >
                    > Would Microsoft Excel be equally good for making a camera inventory? This
                    > would get around another learning curve for MS Access.
                    >
                    > Best Wishes,
                    > John
                    >
                    > ________________

                    <*> Your email settings:
                        Individual Email | Traditional

                    <*> To change settings online go to:
                        (Yahoo! ID required)

                    <*> To change settings via email:
                        woodandbrass-digest@yahoogroups.com
                        woodandbrass-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                    Message 10 of 11 , Oct 29 11:44 PM
                      Only months ago, we noted the passing of Fred Friedman of New Jersey. Now I had the sad duty to let group members know of the passing of Eric Evans on Wednesday, 26 October. Eric lived in Sheffield, Yorkshire and assembled one of the largest collection of branded British wood and brass cameras, totaling over 300.  Eric continued to derive great pleasure from new finds, especially if it was a maker he didn't have an example by. He was always a gracious host and happy to let you handle and photograph his treasures as he pointed out salient features. I visited him 4 times in the last few years, every time my travels took me the UK. Darrin Hill wrote a nice bio on the Facebook Wood and Brass group that I copy here: "Eric was someone who wouldn't perhaps be particularly popular in America, he lead his life based on very firmly held socialist principles. He always put others first. He was a true gentleman and it was rare for anyone to feel the full force of his formidable intellect, instead he would gently encourage in the right direction. He was a lifelong Socialist and worked tirelessly to promote the common good. He started life the son of a Yorkshire miner who died early from an industrial disease and was the first in our family to receive higher education. He was an athlete when younger and briefly ( almost accidentally ) played professional rugby league) .after a career educating kids he became a journalist using his photographic skills to illustrate road test reports on motor caravans and spent the last 30 years or so of his leisure time restoring and collecting old cameras. Apart from his abiding belief in the inherent goodness of human nature his other great quality as a fine person was his unremitting loyalty to his family and to his wife Maureen who he adored absolutely until her death some years ago. He was possessed of an astonishing memory and intellect and it is fair to say the camera world has lost an undoubted expert on early English wood and brass."

                      Vale my friend.

                      Cheers!

                      Marcel
                      --