Re: [woodandbrass] Lancaster see-saw shutter.

  • Eric Evans
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 5, 2012

      Thanks Dan, that is helpful. I can see that in spite of an abysmally dismal history when "mending" shutters, I may have to have a look inside this one. According to the link you gave to that wonderful Early Photography site, there are three different patterns, some incorporating a holding spring, which is probably what is missing from mine. Or maybe I will just leave it alone and accept that it doesn't work. I tend to do that a lot these days. It's very cold in my workshop at this time of year.
      Sent: Wednesday, December 05, 2012 10:16 PM
      Subject: Re: [woodandbrass] Lancaster see-saw shutter.

      Eric - this link should help

      Dan

      In a message dated 12/5/2012 5:12:10 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, rniederman@... writes:

      Eric … I had a see-saw shutter years ago.  As I recall, it is not gravity driven and is actuated by a pneumatic bulb.

      .: Rob

      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 6, 2012
        Hi all

        I may have been a bit quiet on the list lately but I have seen 10000+
        cameras up close and personal during my holiday travels thanks to a
        number of collector friends in the USA and Australia, including many
        (almost TOO many if that is possible) choice wood and brass items.

        Last week I flew to Melbourne for a two day photohistory conference at
        the University of Melbourne then on Saturday I picked up a hire car for
        the 50 minute drive to the home of Holger Schult who I have known for a
        number of years as a fellow member of the Australian Photographic
        Collectors Society and attendee at their fairs. I have long known of
        Holger's collection but never taken up the opportunity to view it...
        until now, and WOW, what an experience it was.

        Holger has his collection in a purpose fitted out lined shed, all neatly
        arranged on shelving albeit very tightly packed. As we say in Australia,
        John West (a brand of tinned sardines) couldn't do a better job. What
        struck me is the comprehensive span of his collection, telling the story
        of photography from dry plate to digital with approximately 2000
        cameras, although he does have one sliding box wet plate camera ($20 was
        it Holger?). Holger admits he can't focus on one brand or type but that
        means there is something in the collection to appeal to just about
        anyone. There is, dearest to my heart, a nice collection of wood and
        brass, mostly British and American plus plenty of brass lenses and early
        shutters. I noted a Butcher's Royal Mail (the 4th I have seen in
        collections in the past month!), a 12 lens array for a gem camera (but
        which one does it fit?), a good selection of 1/4 plate cameras (that
        certainly fit easier on a shelf than my own mostly 1/2 and full plate
        models) and a wierd George Hare full plate with 3 lenses that turned up
        in a past APCS auction.

        Holger also has a good array of Kodak, Zeiss, Agfa and aerial cameras
        and then numerous types of plate and film cameras from all the major
        camera producing countries and usual suspect manufacturers plus many
        more uncommon ones and a number from countries less well known for
        camera production such as South America. Holger hasn't excluded plastic
        cameras although focussing on the more interesting models plus an large
        array of single use examples. His display is complimented by various
        film, plate boxes, advertising and other items to add interest. Then of
        course there is Holger's exuberance to demonstrate and explain just
        about anything you care to ask about. One fact that amazed me was that
        all but around 100 cameras were sourced from within Australia.

        The trip was topped off by a visit to a friend of Holger's who lived
        nearby who also has a lovely and large collection, concentrating on
        Kodak, but containing plenty more besides including wood and brass, a
        taxiphot, stereoviewers, plastic cameras, and even a display of flash
        equipment including a rare flash for a Primaflex that Holger had been
        looking for in ernest and Igor just happened to have. Some haggling will
        no doubt follow.

        Great weather, lunch at a local pub and afternoon tea of home cooked
        gooseberry pie prepared by Holger's very understanding wife Anke capped
        off a fabulous day. You can see a good selection of Holger's cameras on
        his website: http://camerasdownunder.com/

        Cheers! Marcel -- Marcel Safier (Photographic Historian and Collector)
        PO Box 239 Holland Park QLD 4121 Australia

        =======
        http://www.pctools.com/
        =======
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 8, 2012
          Hi all

          A friend of mine is seeking further information and details about the
          maker of this interesting and beautifully constructed stereoviewer:

          http://www.flickr.com/photos/brisphoto/

          The stereoview is placed flat on the top.

          Does anyone recognise it or care to comment?

          Cheers!

          Marcel

          =======
          http://www.pctools.com/