Re: message 1453, E bay camera.

  • ericevans2000
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 5, 2012
      Somebody knew enough about it to pay £573 GB for it! It had a look of a tropical version of the Ross Portable Divided Camera, but it didn't quite fit; that brass handle certainly didn't look English to me, although the rest might have been.
      Eric.
    • tomkom1
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 6, 2012
        Hi, I think it is a version of the Artist Hand Camera manufactured by E. Francais, Paris and some were marketed and sold through the London Stereoscopic & Photographic Co. Ltd.,  here is a reference page that I have with a similar camera.

        http://historiccamera.com/cgi-bin/librarium2/pm.cgi?action=app_display&app=datasheet&app_id=1806

        I think it was a good buy.

        Regards, Tom

        --- In woodandbrass@yahoogroups.com, "ericevans2000" <ericevans2@...> wrote:

        > Somebody knew enough about it to pay �573 GB for it! It had a look of a tropical version of the Ross Portable Divided Camera, but it didn't quite fit; that brass handle certainly didn't look English to me, although the rest might have been.
        > Eric.

      • Eric Evans
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 6, 2012
          Tom,
                  I'm sure you have hit it. That looks exactly right, with an allowable slight variation in the focusing hood which could easily have occurred between models. It is interesting to see, on the site you have linked to, a phenomenon we often encounter in this hobby: the artist's impression, presumably from a contemporaneous advert, and the actual photo, show a number of discrepancies, occasioned I suppose by the limitations of working with a woodcut or etching. I always have preferred cameras with names on them over anonymous ones. If the buyer knew what you have just discovered, that it had a name and a good one, he did indeed get a good buy.
          Regards, Eric.