Re: [woodandbrass] Handbag Camera?

  • Eric Evans
    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 26, 2012
      Fred,
      I saw a decorated aluminium bound Lancaster on e bay once, so unless you got that one there are at least two of them in existence.
      Sent: Monday, November 26, 2012 3:41 PM
      Subject: Re: [woodandbrass] Handbag Camera?

      I wonder if the idea was simply to appeal to female photographers by adding the leather and the handbag like catch. The camera would seem to be tripod needed - not a hand camera. I have an aluminium mounted Pocket Instantograph with decorated, embossed aluminium in a very pretty leaf and vine pattern. Very scarce, apparently. Why a decorated aluminium? I suspect as an appeal to female photographers. These cameras - yours and mine may simply be a test run in an attempt to broaden the market and sell more cameras. Don't think it worked! If anyone else has a decorated aluminium mounted example, please let me know.

      Cheers,
      Fred in sunny, gorgeous Cliffside Park, NJ
      On Nov 26, 2012, at 8:36 AM, John Rushton wrote:

      Hi All,

      This is a copy of one of my posts to the IDCC Forum. Marcel has asked me to share it with you too. So here goes!

      Message starts:

      Now, you must understand that I am not normally into handbags, but I bought a 'handbag camera' of unknown maker's name at the SAS Auction recently. However, it did have a retailer's name plate on it. The description in the auctioneers catalogue was as follows:

       A black morocco leather-covered pale mahogany and nickel plated brass half-plate 'handbag' Field Camera, with Dallmeyer 6½ x 4¾ Rapid Rectilinear brass lens, with retail plate for 'Robertson's Photo Stores 5 Castle Arcade Cardiff' the camera covered in grained and lined morocco-leather with folding handle to top and leather flap over focusing screen with bag type latch, two matching dds and one non-matching, G, lens F-G, some tarnishing to metal work

      The camera is shown at the link below. I hope to show some images of the rear of the camera later.

      http://tinyurl.com/9dewtkx

      Images added:

      http://tinyurl.com/bpdt6va

      http://tinyurl.com/bpdt6va

      http://tinyurl.com/cknnx96

      http://tinyurl.com/bqc3zl2

      The back, and the edges of the base, are covered in Morocco leather and there is a flap and catch  to cover the focusing screen as maybe found on a satchel type handbag. The outer base is not covered in leather. If one were to carry the camera in its folded state with base side facing one's body then the camera would look like a handbag/satchel, not a camera.

      I am searching for information on this camera and I would appreciate some help in identifying it. Do any members know what make and date it is?

      The concept of handbag cameras was presumably to minimise people's suspicions as to the taking of photographs containing people in the early days of hand cameras before people generally became used to candid photography. Isn't it interesting that there is still sensitivity in this present era of people having their photographs taken in public places.

      One of the most famous, but unaffordable, handbag cameras was the Certo camera shown at the links below.

      http://collectiblend.com/Cameras/images/Certo-Damen-Kamera.jpg

      http://collectiblend.com/Cameras/images/Certo-Damen-Kamera_1.jpg

      So, has anyone got any information on my camera for me please?

      Also, have any members got any deeper insight into the use and popularity of handbag cameras?

      End of previous message.

      Since the above message was placed on IDCC I have shown the camera to experienced wood and brass collectors at two PCCGB meetings, plus the curator at the National Media Museum, Bradford, England, and no one has seen one before. One collector thought that the tripod ring on the base looked very much like the one he had on a Lancaster camera.

      At this stage the camera is considered to have been made in the 1890’s. The serial number stamped into the wood, which can be seen when the back is removed, is ‘2’.

      Coincidentally, while attending an antique fair very recently, I spotted a ladies shoulder bag on a sales table, which looks very much like the rear side of the camera. Please see the following link.

      http://tinyurl.com/bwl5nmb

      I am beginning to think that this camera was a prototype, maybe with a view to make a more stylish camera.

      Best Wishes,

      John

    • voncabbage@aol.com
      Message 2 of 18 , Dec 5, 2012
        does anybody know anything about this?

        http://www.ebay.com/itm/330835103475?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

        Message 3 of 18 , Dec 5, 2012
          Interesting camera. But it doesn't look British to me. French? No info on lenses given nor any info on dovetailing, etc.
          Fred