Eastman 2 d 8x10 for sale, parts or project

  • Jerry Laderberg
    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 19, 2012
      Neither rare nor beautiful, the 2 D by Graflex is one of the strongest units around.  Now that winter has returned you may want to buy this one to work on while the wind roars .

      It is complete except for these: bellows , handle .   The camera is absolutely filthy, but the 8X10 back is clean & has a sericeable ground glass.  A proper film holder is included.

      Price:  $  65  plus shipping from  Arlington, Virginia.

    • David Silver
      Message 2 of 18 , Nov 19, 2012
        Hey gang,

        I have a particular large wood and brass box camera I want to display this
        season in my office, and one end of the strap has rotted away. Here's a
        pic of the good end:

        http://www.photographyhistory.com/strap.jpg

        I'd like to find something to replace it altogether while the camera is on
        display. It's fairly thick leather, the length of the central portion
        between the two large end flaps must be between 7 1/2 and 8 inches, and
        the width where the strap passes under the lugs is about 3/4 inch. Look
        at the pic, and note the rather rounded bulbous shape of the ends.
        Perhaps somebody has something appropriate off a spare parts large format
        view camera? Something from a large case or box? Something from another
        actual large box camera? Whatever! Let me know directly at
        silver@... if you find anything that might do the trick.

        Then I'd like to find an early style brass shutter with 4x5 lens for a
        Folmer & Schwing self-casing camera I have. It's currently wearing a very
        nice Manhattan Optical brass barrel wide-angle lens of appropriate
        vintage, but it's clearly not original to the camera, so I'm looking for
        something like what I have on another Folmer & Schwing camera in my
        collection:

        http://www.photographyhistory.com/FSshutter.jpg

        Unicum, Victor, anything similar, as long as it's clean and complete with
        the proper F&S markings and a proper 4x5 lens. Check those old spare
        parts cameras lurking in your closet and cabinets! Contact me directly if
        you find one.

        Thanks!!

        Best wishes,

        David Silver - President
        International Photographic Historical Organization
        E-mail: silver@... Telephone: (415) 681-4356
        Web site: http://www.photographyhistory.com
      • David Silver
        Message 3 of 18 , Nov 20, 2012
          Hello everybody,

          Here's an especially rare and historically significant piece for the wood
          and brass fanciers. A Benster diaphragm shutter (US patent #339,731 from
          April 13, 1886) installed in an impressive big brass Bausch & Lomb Special
          Rapid Portrait Series C lens for 6 1/2 x 8 1/2 inch format, engraved for
          sale through Ralph J. Golsen of Chicago. Seriously, rare as hen's teeth.
          I think I've only seen three Benster shutters in my nearly 40 years of
          collecting, and this one is exceptional. Take a look:

          http://www.photographyhistory.com/Benster1.jpg
          http://www.photographyhistory.com/Benster2.jpg
          http://www.photographyhistory.com/Benster3.jpg
          http://www.photographyhistory.com/Benster4.jpg
          http://www.photographyhistory.com/Benster5.jpg

          The shutter works smoothly (manually operating the piston...I haven't
          attached a tube and bulb to it), it opens and closes exactly as it should,
          and the iris blades are perfect. The lens is a beauty. Other than the
          soft dent to the front hood, it's in excellent overall condition with
          clean optics and clean glass surfaces, very attractive patina to the
          brass, and it comes with the original mounting flange. Wow!

          I'm asking $1750, and I'll cover the cost of shipping to any location in
          the world. Contact me directly at silver@... if you're interested.
          If nobody responds in the next day or so, it's off to eBay, but I'd much
          rather see a friend acquire this rarity. Fingers crossed...

        • voncabbage@aol.com
          Message 4 of 18 , Nov 20, 2012
            right back at you

            http://www.ebay.com/itm/Darlot-Lens-With-Wollensak-Shutter-Very-Unusual-/321025067526?pt=US_Vintage_Cameras&hash=item4abe95ca06

            Message 5 of 18 , Nov 20, 2012
              What...???

              On Tue, 20 Nov 2012, voncabbage@... wrote:

              > right back at you
              > http://www.ebay.com/itm/Darlot-Lens-With-Wollensak-Shutter-Very-Unusual-/32
              > 1025067526?pt=US_Vintage_Cameras&hash=item4abe95ca06

            • F West
              Message 6 of 18 , Nov 20, 2012
                Hello, I don't understand this "right back at you". I don't see any relevance.  They are completely different items, a 19th century rarity in David's possession and some sort of regrettable cobbled together oddity on eBay from decades later. What do you mean? I'm puzzled. Good day, Frank West

                Message 7 of 18 , Nov 20, 2012
                  sorry..........i'm new to this
                  i cannot tell the difference (yet)

                  Message 8 of 18 , Nov 21, 2012
                    Come on in. The first forty years are the worst. We are all still learning. Why not introduce yourself?
                    Eric.

                    --- In woodandbrass@yahoogroups.com, voncabbage@... wrote:

                    > sorry..........i'm new to this
                    > i cannot tell the difference (yet)

                  • John Rushton
                    Message 9 of 18 , Nov 26, 2012

                      Hi All,

                      This is a copy of one of my posts to the IDCC Forum. Marcel has asked me to share it with you too. So here goes!

                      Message starts:

                      Now, you must understand that I am not normally into handbags, but I bought a 'handbag camera' of unknown maker's name at the SAS Auction recently. However, it did have a retailer's name plate on it. The description in the auctioneers catalogue was as follows:

                       A black morocco leather-covered pale mahogany and nickel plated brass half-plate 'handbag' Field Camera, with Dallmeyer 6½ x 4¾ Rapid Rectilinear brass lens, with retail plate for 'Robertson's Photo Stores 5 Castle Arcade Cardiff' the camera covered in grained and lined morocco-leather with folding handle to top and leather flap over focusing screen with bag type latch, two matching dds and one non-matching, G, lens F-G, some tarnishing to metal work

                      The camera is shown at the link below. I hope to show some images of the rear of the camera later.

                      http://tinyurl.com/9dewtkx

                      Images added:

                      http://tinyurl.com/bpdt6va

                      http://tinyurl.com/bpdt6va

                      http://tinyurl.com/cknnx96

                      http://tinyurl.com/bqc3zl2

                      The back, and the edges of the base, are covered in Morocco leather and there is a flap and catch  to cover the focusing screen as maybe found on a satchel type handbag. The outer base is not covered in leather. If one were to carry the camera in its folded state with base side facing one's body then the camera would look like a handbag/satchel, not a camera.

                      I am searching for information on this camera and I would appreciate some help in identifying it. Do any members know what make and date it is?

                      The concept of handbag cameras was presumably to minimise people's suspicions as to the taking of photographs containing people in the early days of hand cameras before people generally became used to candid photography. Isn't it interesting that there is still sensitivity in this present era of people having their photographs taken in public places.

                      One of the most famous, but unaffordable, handbag cameras was the Certo camera shown at the links below.

                      http://collectiblend.com/Cameras/images/Certo-Damen-Kamera.jpg

                      http://collectiblend.com/Cameras/images/Certo-Damen-Kamera_1.jpg

                      So, has anyone got any information on my camera for me please?

                      Also, have any members got any deeper insight into the use and popularity of handbag cameras?

                      End of previous message.

                      Since the above message was placed on IDCC I have shown the camera to experienced wood and brass collectors at two PCCGB meetings, plus the curator at the National Media Museum, Bradford, England, and no one has seen one before. One collector thought that the tripod ring on the base looked very much like the one he had on a Lancaster camera.

                      At this stage the camera is considered to have been made in the 1890’s. The serial number stamped into the wood, which can be seen when the back is removed, is ‘2’.

                      Coincidentally, while attending an antique fair very recently, I spotted a ladies shoulder bag on a sales table, which looks very much like the rear side of the camera. Please see the following link.

                      http://tinyurl.com/bwl5nmb

                      I am beginning to think that this camera was a prototype, maybe with a view to make a more stylish camera.

                      Best Wishes,

                      John

                    • Eric Evans
                      Message 10 of 18 , Nov 26, 2012
                        Hi John,
                                   A bit away from your point, as I am unable to say much about your handbag camera, but after living 82 years without seeing any reference to Robertsons of Cardiff, I bought a W&B camera for spares with their nameplate on it on the 4th of November and now yours turns up. Like buses.............
                            Knowing how 19th C. makers used to carefully observe one another's products, I think it is quite likely that your camera and the Certo camera were not made that far apart in date? These things tended to go in fashions, and if people didn't follow what was going on, they soon went out of business. I'd cite many examples of bankruptcy I have found in researching W&B cameras. The fact that yours is not all that cunningly disguised in totality, suggests that possibly it was early in the trend; a prototype sounds feasible.
                            Equally, at a point in time which I have never been able to establish, even with the help of this austere group, black leather covering for even polished mahogany cameras (quite suddenly, it seems), became not only acceptable, but essential if goods were to be sold to a fickle public. Whatever that date was, your camera may well have been on the cusp of it.
                        Eric.
                      • GEORGELAYNE@AOL.COM
                        Message 11 of 18 , Nov 26, 2012
                          Did we not go over this in detail about a month ago?

                          Thee are several emails about it.

                          George Layne

                          Message 12 of 18 , Nov 26, 2012

                            Hi George,
                                           Yes I believe we did discuss it on the IDCC forum, but John has opened it up for further discussion by the Wood and Brass group. Material then gets displayed on both Wood and Brass and IDCC. Not trying to be patronising but maybe you didn't know that. My apologies if you did.
                            Sent: Monday, November 26, 2012 3:21 PM
                            Subject: Re: [woodandbrass] Handbag Camera?

[...]

                          • Maren /Fred Friedman
                            Message 13 of 18 , Nov 26, 2012
                              I wonder if the idea was simply to appeal to female photographers by adding the leather and the handbag like catch. The camera would seem to be tripod needed - not a hand camera. I have an aluminium mounted Pocket Instantograph with decorated, embossed aluminium in a very pretty leaf and vine pattern. Very scarce, apparently. Why a decorated aluminium? I suspect as an appeal to female photographers. These cameras - yours and mine may simply be a test run in an attempt to broaden the market and sell more cameras. Don't think it worked! If anyone else has a decorated aluminium mounted example, please let me know.
                              Cheers,
                              Fred in sunny, gorgeous Cliffside Park, NJ

                              Message 14 of 18 , Nov 26, 2012

                                George,
                                           And I might have got hat last reply wrong.........anyway it appears on my computer and on the wood and brass site. I am not a computer wizz.
                                Sent: Monday, November 26, 2012 3:21 PM

                                Message 15 of 18 , Nov 26, 2012
                                  No, I didn't realize that, but it might be helpful if someone started the discussion by sending Marcel the prior emails on the subject.

                                  Sent: Monday, November 26, 2012 3:21 PM

                                  Message 16 of 18 , Nov 26, 2012
                                    Fred,
                                    I saw a decorated aluminium bound Lancaster on e bay once, so unless you got that one there are at least two of them in existence.

                                    Message 17 of 18 , Dec 5, 2012
                                      does anybody know anything about this?

                                      http://www.ebay.com/itm/330835103475?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

                                      Message 18 of 18 , Dec 5, 2012
                                        Interesting camera. But it doesn't look British to me. French? No info on lenses given nor any info on dovetailing, etc.
                                        Fred