Re: Lillie Langtry and the Camera

  • ericevans2000
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 19, 2012
      Hi John,
      I just love that story. Like you, I am very susceptible to the history connected with my cameras, and the "research" I do, (for want of a better word) is a large part of the attraction of collecting them: there are better and more learned researchers on this group, but I enjoy what I do, and I get plenty of help here at times. Lillie Langtry was the way she spelled her name; but because she was known to the Bitish public as "The Jersey Lily", having been born there, the Brits always knew her as "Lily". I read that she was a very naughty girl who eventually was "dumped" by King Edward VII in a rather brutal and public fashion. At a charity function, she handed him a glass of wine which she had "kissed". He turned his back and said "Madam, I prefer a clean glass". That was the end of her career as his mistress, but it apparently did not leave him entirely bereft of feminine company. Horsman no doubt found that her name on a product would have guaranteed good sales for the item. I don't know if there was any commercial link between her and Lonsdale Brothers, but they put her name on one of their cameras. For me their Sheffield connection, brief and tenuous though it may have been, makes my day, as a citizen of that fair city. Well done on getting your little "Eclipse" camera, and completing an outfit for it, and thanks for the very interesting background story.
      Eric.