Field Camera: Lonsdale Bros. "The Langtry".

  • ericevans2000
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 15, 2012
      I hope that members find some interest in my occasional postings of recent acquisitions; I would if others were doing it, but a bore doesn't always know when he is being boring. Here is my latest, images in Eric Evans' album:
      Lonsdale Brothers.| The Langtry LB. | 1900. | Field Camera.|1/1 Plate.
      Operating between 1890 and 1907, from a number of addresses at various times in Leeds, London and Sheffield, Lonsdale Brothers were at 129, West Street, Sheffield, in 1907, a fact of interest to a Sheffield collector, if nobody else. They produced a wide range of camera models, in both kit form, (advertised under the "Sun" label, as being suitable for self-assembly by amateurs or dealers) and with the label "LB", in fully finished form, ready made, as with this well constructed and professionally presented "Langtry LB". One wonders if their self-assembly kits produced some of the many unlabelled W&B cameras often seen today. Some makers at the time chose topical events, e.g. "Harrysmith" (a Boer war battle) and personalities, e.g. "Birkbeck" (a politician), and "Stanley" (the explorer), as names for their cameras; this "Langtry" is clearly a tribute to Lily Langtry, actress, society figure and mistress of Edward VII.