Holy Cow - big money for a Dag

  • dcolucci@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 3, 2012
      Kaminski Auctions just sold a nice Daguerreotype of a photographer with his camera for $ 15,000 plus buyers premium.
      (Estimate was $ 5-7K )

      Makes me wonder what my image is worth ?  Not in as a nice condition,
      but more interesting in my opinion

      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 5, 2012
        Hi all

        This post follows on from a thread on the IDCC list.

        I suppose interest in wood and brass cameras and organisation of the
        people who collect them is never likely to reach the stage where
        significant listings/inventories of a model or maker of cameras or
        lenses are assembled except for a few selected cases such as Cliff
        Bulcock's (cjbulcock@...) project to chronicle Sanderson (see the
        PCCGB website http://www.nanites.co.uk/pccgb/research%2001.htm).

        I am curious as to whether anyone here is attempting to chronicle one
        maker or one model. Although not W&B I found by chance a Kershaw
        Curlew/Peregrine project
        http://www.statim.co.uk/Known%20surviving%20Curlews%20and%20Peregrines.htm.
        Unfortunately our task is not made easy by the more usual lack of serial
        numbers with these most likely to be found on just the lenses of the
        larger manufacturers. Do Voigtlander and Zeiss aficionados collect
        serial numbers for the brass lenses of those makers for instance?

        Cheers! Marcel -- Marcel Safier (Photographic Historian and Collector)
        PO Box 239 Holland Park QLD 4121 Australia

        =======
        http://www.pctools.com/
        =======
      • Robert Tooley
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 8, 2012
          Marcel,

          The info.I've collected on N&G models is here:
          http://www.earlyphotography.co.uk/site/ng_models.html  http://www.earlyphotography.co.uk/site/ng_id.html

          and on Sanderson models here:
          http://www.earlyphotography.co.uk/site/sanderson.html

          Rob

          To: woodandbrass@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 4
            Hello,

              Does anyone have dags with 1860s tax stamps on the back? Any info on this usage? I haven't held the images but could be ambros if that makes a difference. Totally new to me.

               My thanks,
                  Ira~
          • F West
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 4
              Hello Ira, weren't revenue stamps originally issued a full decade after the end of the dag period? Good day, Frank West

              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 6
                Frank,

                    While wet plates took over the technology, I would guess that some photographers would still use it for better quality images. My real question is that I thought that the tax stamps were for nonessential paper products (CDVs, newspapers, playing cards, etc.). Why would they put 5 cent stamps (highest rate) on each of a pair of dags? Did the photographer misunderstand the law?

                     My thanks,
                       Ira~

                   Sent: Wednesday, February 4, 2015 1:48 PM
                Subject: Re: [woodandbrass] Dags & 1860s tax stamps

                Hello Ira, weren't revenue stamps originally issued a full decade after the end of the dag period? Good day, Frank West