Re: [woodandbrass] Is it or ain't it a Tit=Bit or a Tid=Bit English Camera

  • saywuff@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 14 8:06 PM
    I forgot to add this picture taken with this camera,

    Message 2 of 5 , Aug 15 4:04 AM
      John,
      Sorry not to be able to help with this one. There was a multitude of cameras of almost identical appearance, marketed by many major manufacturers and retailers of the period.
      Eric.
      --- In woodandbrass@yahoogroups.com, "jwb.jr77" <saywuff@...> wrote:

      > PICTURES will be found in my album "ALL AMERICAN" in the Photos section.
      >
      > Yup another English camera but this one surfaced at a USA yard sale. We have owned it about 12 years. Having completed much extensive research I don't know what it's real name is. The little plaque on the front says British Made.
      > The plaque on the lens board reads W. Tylar 81 High St. Aston, Birmingham. According to an 1899 advertisement that a friend in Great Britain sent me this camera resembles in some ways a Tylar camera called the Strand Magazine camera. That camera was inspired according to the ad by Tylar's Tit=Bit camera. So is this the missing Tit=Bit camera.
      > It measures 4 by 7 by 8 1/2 inches. Plate size about 3 and 1/4 by 4 and 1/4 inches. It holds 10 plates. If a few exposures are made they can be removed from the camera by the bottom door. There is a ground glass that came with it but it would be awkward to use.
      > So any comments or information as to it's name would be welcome. John

    • rob_tooley
      Message 3 of 5 , Aug 18 12:22 AM
        Hi,
        a couple of Tylar adverts show that their magazine (falling plate) cameras were called the Strand. The price was usually included in the name e.g. The 10/6 Strand or The 42 Shilling Strand. The adverts show the camera closed so the shutter can't be seen making identification of your model difficult.

        The Tit-Bit name was used on an older generation of cameras.

        Rob

        --- In woodandbrass@yahoogroups.com, "jwb.jr77" <saywuff@...> wrote:

        > PICTURES will be found in my album "ALL AMERICAN" in the Photos section.
        >
        > Yup another English camera but this one surfaced at a USA yard sale. We have owned it about 12 years. Having completed much extensive research I don't know what it's real name is. The little plaque on the front says British Made.
        > The plaque on the lens board reads W. Tylar 81 High St. Aston, Birmingham. According to an 1899 advertisement that a friend in Great Britain sent me this camera resembles in some ways a Tylar camera called the Strand Magazine camera. That camera was inspired according to the ad by Tylar's Tit=Bit camera. So is this the missing Tit=Bit camera.
        > It measures 4 by 7 by 8 1/2 inches. Plate size about 3 and 1/4 by 4 and 1/4 inches. It holds 10 plates. If a few exposures are made they can be removed from the camera by the bottom door. There is a ground glass that came with it but it would be awkward to use.
        > So any comments or information as to it's name would be welcome. John

      • jwb.jr77
        Message 4 of 5 , Aug 18 8:20 PM
          Hi Rob: I also have an ad that makes it look like the Strand. It's a very well made camera and I was very supprised to see it turn up in the yard sale. The lady was selling very expensive furniture and didn't seen like some one who would be bothered selling a camera. We are very happy to have it. John