Camera with label "Richard Keene, Derby".

  • ericevans2000
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 3, 2012
      Please see new pictures in my album. I am fairly sure that Richard Keene was not the maker of this camera, although I have added it to my collection because of its association with him.....he was one of the great professional photographers of the 19th century, a member of the Linked Ring, and moving in the same circles as, for instance, Frank Sutcliffe, to name but one. I don't believe he was into camera manufacture, but I have seen a Thornton-Pickard camera with his label and the T-P label on, so it is fair to assume he was a camera retailer, among other things. There is a fair bit about him on google. My question is, does anybody recognise the rather distinctive (probably patented, for those deeply into such things), transverse brass bar locking mechanism for the front panel of this camera, and if so, does anybody know who made it? Long shot, but we live in hope.
      Eric.
    • rob_tooley
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 4, 2012
        Eric,
        It looks like the Tivoli from Levi, Jones, they were manufacturing at the same time as Keene had his outlet in Derby. That type of hinged grip was used on several of their cameras, field and hand types.

        --- In woodandbrass@yahoogroups.com, "ericevans2000" <ericevans2@...> wrote:

        > Please see new pictures in my album. I am fairly sure that Richard Keene was not the maker of this camera, although I have added it to my collection because of its association with him.....he was one of the great professional photographers of the 19th century, a member of the Linked Ring, and moving in the same circles as, for instance, Frank Sutcliffe, to name but one. I don't believe he was into camera manufacture, but I have seen a Thornton-Pickard camera with his label and the T-P label on, so it is fair to assume he was a camera retailer, among other things. There is a fair bit about him on google. My question is, does anybody recognise the rather distinctive (probably patented, for those deeply into such things), transverse brass bar locking mechanism for the front panel of this camera, and if so, does anybody know who made it? Long shot, but we live in hope.
        > Eric.

      • Eric Evans
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 4, 2012
          Rob,
                 Thank you very much for that. Now you have told me a name to look for, I have of course found a picture of just such a device on p.73 of Channing and Dunn, under "Levi, Jones & Co. Ltd"., and on p.621 of McKeown, under "S.J.Levi". Same firm under two names apparently, at different times in its existence. The clamping bar is shown on a different camera, but it is so distinctive that "beyond reasonable doubt", this is an identification as far as I am concerned, and over and above that, I appreciate more greatly your opinion. I shall now be able accordingly to catalogue the camera into my collection and in due course on to my web site. I am really grateful for your time and trouble.
          Thanks and Regards,
          Sent: Saturday, August 04, 2012 8:02 PM
          Subject: [woodandbrass] Re: Camera with label "Richard Keene, Derby".

          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 7, 2012
            Hi Eric

            My understanding of Keene is that he was chiefly a photographer. There is a photo of him with the Photographic Convention in Derby in the Kodak Museum in Bradford. I will send you that photo directly. I would tend to agree he may have retailed rather than manufactured cameras.

            Cheers!

            Marcel

            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 12, 2012
              Rob,
              I have now received from Old Timer Cameras, a copy of an advert from "Photography", May 13th., 1897, which definitely shows the camera I was asking about as the "Tivoli" from Levi, Jones and Co. Ltd., as you said it was. A-star for that and thanks again.
              Eric.