Re: [woodandbrass] Lejeune & Perken, London, Scott's Patent Camera made for J T Chapman, Manchester

  • Maren /Fred Friedman
    Message 1 of 7 , May 22, 2012
      Eric,
      Thanks for sharing and congratulations on a very interesting find.
      Fred
      On May 22, 2012, at 1:27 PM, ericevans2000 wrote:

      Photos of this camera, label as above, are now on show in Eric Evans album on this site. Channing and Dunn refer to one known example of this camera, sold in a London auction in 1990. Chapman was working in Albert Square, Manchester at the time this was made, before or at 1887 when the firm Lejeune & Perken changed its name to Perken, Son and Rayment.
      Scott himself was making them just around the corner in the same city. Rhetorical question: Why did Chapman (presumably with Scott's knowledge), have them made in London by Lejeune and Perken and also by J L Lane, one of whose Scott's Patent Cameras labelled "Made by J L Lane, London, for J T Chapman, Albert Square, Manchester", is also in my collection?
      The three separate makers are noted in Channing and Dunn, q.v., who note that Chapman apparently tried to give the impression that he made them himself, in his advertising. It looks as if he was able to sell all he could get his hands on, from whatever source.
      As far as I can tell, the Scott's patent consists in the single, double- slotted rear strut, which makes the camera easy to fold up, and also disappears inside the camera body when folded, making a neat self-contained box.
      Eric.

    • roland_meynart
      Message 2 of 7 , May 23, 2012
        Eric,

        this is a fine, well-built, camera. It was advertised and illustrated in BJPA 1887 and 1888 but not later. In 1888, there was also an advertisement for the "British" camera that would become Chapman's best known camera. Your Scott's patent camera shows a very interesting detail: the thin reinforcement bands near the top of the sides of the body. This is typical of cameras made by Billcliff and is seen on Chapman British cameras and on early similar cameras bearing a "Billcliff manufacturer" badge. Your camera screams "I was made by Josuah". But then why a "Lejeune and Perken maker" label? Unless Perken were also economical with truth about their real manufacturing capabilities? Or Perken imitated Billcliff's typical making tricks?

        You say that you have another Scott's patent camera made by Lane. Does this one also sport these bands?

        Roland
      • Eric Evans
        Message 3 of 7 , May 23, 2012
          Hi Roland,
                          I guess there are some things in the old camera world that we shall never know. I have a Chapman's "British" camera, labelled "J T Chapman" although a consensus seems to be developing among photo historians that Billcliff made it. The inlaid strips you mention are of ebony on the "British"; the J L Lane and the Lejeune and Perken have the same inlaid strips, but made of brass. You say:

           "But then why a "Lejeune and Perken maker" label? Unless Perken were also economical with truth about their real manufacturing capabilities? Or Perken imitated Billcliff's typical making tricks?
              Either of your propositions is tenable. But then that doesn't explain the Lane camera of exactly the same style, with the same strips. Another theory of mine is that maybe Chapman insisted on the inlaid strips on cameras made for him by whoever, as some kind of trade mark? We may never know.
              I will try to put up a picture of the J L Lane camera and the "British".

          Message 4 of 7 , May 23, 2012
            Eric,

            Indeed the brass strips (instead of ebony) are the giveaway that the Scott's patent cameras have likely been built by someone else.

            I have two Chapman "British" cameras and one earlier Billcliff model, with the patented rotating back. Their common origin is pretty obvious.

            cheers,

            Roland
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 16 2:14 PM
              Hi all

              George Layne has shared some photos on Flickr on the IDCC list that I
              think one is worth sharing with the brass crowd (there is no wood in
              this camera!).

              http://www.flickr.com/photos/kaptainkodak/7381648372/in/set-72157630148597852

              Cheers! Marcel -- Marcel Safier (Photographic Historian and Collector)
              PO Box 239 Holland Park QLD 4121 Australia

              =======
              http://www.pctools.com/
              =======
            • Maren /Fred Friedman