Early Gandolfi cameras

  • John Marriage
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 29, 2012
      I am writing an article for Photographica World based on various papers held in the NMeM and with Sir Ken Corfield. Although I have several Gandolfi cameras from the period after the Great War, I have nothing earlier and have seen nothing earlier, though the firm was established in 1885. It has been said in print that the very early products were nothing special, pretty much run-of-the-mill for the period. But without evidence, I'd prefer not to just repeat that.
      So, does anyone have any 1885-1920 Gandolfi cameras, or have you seen one, or could you let me have photographs?
      Thanks
      John Marriage
    • ole@bruraholo.no
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 29, 2012
      I have a 1920's Gandolfi Universal 5x4" - very nice and well made
      tailboard camera.

      Ole Tjugen
    • Eric Evans
      Message 3 of 8 , Mar 29, 2012

        John,
                  I have been unable to put a date to the one on my site:
        but I think it may be an early one; you would know more about that than I do.

        Message 4 of 8 , Mar 31, 2012
          Hi Ole
          That's a very nice-looking Universal! I wonder if I might use this picture as an illustration in the article (I'd need a higher-resolution version)? However, as you say it's 1920s, so I'm still looking for earlier stuff.
          Cheers
          John

          --- In woodandbrass@yahoogroups.com, ole@... wrote:

          > I have a 1920's Gandolfi Universal 5x4" - very nice and well made
          > tailboard camera.
          >

          > Ole Tjugen

        • harkabee
          Message 5 of 8 , Mar 31, 2012
            Eric
            Your #0137 is a Universal, I'm pretty sure. Naming Gandolfi cameras is always a bit tricky, as nothing is labelled or serial-numbered, each was hand made and could be adapted to the customer's preference, the adverts show small vague illustrations from which it can be hard to deduce much, and they made specials too. Having said all that, I still think it's a Universal. A very long-running model, from 1899 to an end date which is uncertain, but may be as late as the sale of the firm in 1982. Records show that 354 Universals were made between 1946 and 1975 (25% of their new-camera production). So dating yours will need to be from subtle clues, unless there's any provenance. Just one possible hint; Of my Gandolfi cameras, the only one I'm confident was made during Louis Gandolfi's lifetime does have the "L GANDOLFI LONDON" blindstamp in the baseboard (as well as the usual white label). My others, two of which could either be during his life or later, don't have it. So a speculation is that after Louis died his sons ceased to use it, in which case your camera is pre-1932.
            Best wishes
            John

            Message 6 of 8 , Apr 5, 2012
              Hi John

              If you need help with researching early Gandolfi history please feel free to get in touch.

              Cheers! Marcel -- Marcel Safier PO Box 239 Holland Park QLD 4121 Australia

              On 29/03/2012 9:03 PM, John Marriage wrote:

              I am writing an article for Photographica World based on various papers held in the NMeM and with Sir Ken Corfield. Although I have several Gandolfi cameras from the period after the Great War, I have nothing earlier and have seen nothing earlier, though the firm was established in 1885. It has been said in print that the very early products were nothing special, pretty much run-of-the-mill for the period. But without evidence, I'd prefer not to just repeat that.
              So, does anyone have any 1885-1920 Gandolfi cameras, or have you seen one, or could you let me have photographs?
              Thanks
              John Marriage

              =======
              http://www.pctools.com
              =======
            • Ole Tjugen
              Message 7 of 8 , Apr 6, 2012

                John,

                I just returned home from an early Easter “vacation” and found your message.

                Of course you can use the picture, and I’ll get a couple more new ones if you want. Even with the “blind” lens board, or a less anachronistic lens?

                Ole Tjugen

                That's a very nice-looking Universal! I wonder if I might use this picture as an illustration in the article (I'd need a higher-resolution version)? However, as you say it's 1920s, so I'm still looking for earlier stuff.
                Cheers
                John

                --- In woodandbrass@yahoogroups.com, ole@... wrote:

                > I have a 1920's Gandolfi Universal 5x4" - very nice and well made
                > tailboard camera.
                >

                > Ole Tjugen

              • harkabee
                Message 8 of 8 , Apr 8, 2012
                  Ole
                  Thanks very much! A version with a blind lensboard would be fine - you're right, the current one looks a bit modern. Or if you've got it, with a lens of the 1910-20 period, which is probably about the right date. Image size in the region of 2000+ pixels on the long side?
                  Best wishes
                  John