Re: Women In The Out Outdoors!

  • Bernie Patrick
    Message 1 of 20 , Jul 1, 2009
      I am anxiously awaiting the new magazine that comes out in Sept. to see what all they will cover.

      I gave up being on our local NWTF committee because we had about 3 people who did all the work & couldn' get people to commit to helping for much more than one day.

      Spencer, I bet they will be tickled to have you write for the new magazine.

      Bernie

      --- In womenhunters@yahoogroups.com, "Dr. Spencer Tomb" <duckdoglover@...> wrote:

      > I am worried for these women's programs and magazines. I have a vested interest in the publications as I have written for two of them. I hope that something survives as Melinda and I have ideas for a couple more articles for women readers.
      >
      > I have corresponded several times with Karen Lee and I think that she does a great job as an editor. I wish her well with the NWTF publications. When I wrote the "Up from the Ranks" piece for WITO she was very helpful when I submitted it for an award from the National Shooting Sports Foundation.
      >
      > We cancelled the Kansas State WITO event back in the spring. No one was there to help it as we lost Ellen Benitz to being an RD in Missouri at a critical time in volunteer leadership transition. The ball was dropped in the planning stages.
      >
      > The good news is that the BOW program in Kansas is growing again.
      >
      > I guess I will have more time to focus on my shooting and hunting this year. I left the Board of the National Wildlife Federation in May after 12 years of service so that means I have more time to write.
      >
      > Hi Christy-- Keep on volunteering 'cause you do a great job.
      >
      > Spencer

    • nebrhuntress
      Message 2 of 20 , Jul 1, 2009
        --- In womenhunters@yahoogroups.com, "wildknives" <wildknives@...> wrote:

        > Just a question maybe a naive one but why cant we (women) start, run, develop our own magazine and or club/group? There has to be women out there with the money and wherewithal to do such a thing. And we where ALL willing to shell out what $45 a year <i forgot how much it was lol> anyway. The system is there, the need is there, the desire to belong to such a group is there....Tery

        Women Hunter Magazine is up and hopefully growing. I just renewed my membership and should have an article featured in there very soon. Dont give up on WITO yet. The sad thing as Spencer mentioned when the big switch from firing the WRC and making the rest regional directors is where you saw a huge drop in events. My state went from 8 to 4 to only 2 this year. This is a great program but unfortunatly not as large of a priority, even though they are saying it is, I can only hope it is true, history has shown otherwise.

        Hi back Spencer and yes I am still volunteering!!
      • Dr. Spencer Tomb
        Message 3 of 20 , Jul 2, 2009
          Hello Bernie and Christy
          Gosh it has been a while. I checked in here several times but the discssion was not on anything that was in my primary interest areas and none of the old crowd was around much.

          I have a new girl friend. Her name is Tully. She is going to be a superb hunter. She is from Iowa and comes froma great family of hunters. She is at my feet as I write this. She is a 6 month old golden retriever puppy. Jolly is still with us but at 11 she is starting to slow a little.

          Melinda is engaged and it looks like she will be moving to Missouri in a year or so. We still hunt and shoot clay targets together, but most of her weekend are in Missouri. I am very happy for her. The guy is still amazed that he has found a woman who hunts as hard and as often as he does. He has taken it well that she can shoot better than he can.

          It looks like we have had a great hatch on turkeys again this year. I have seen ten broods in the last two weeks and one was in my yard at my bird feeder.

          Melinda and I have been teaching the wild game cooking class at the BOW program and She also teaches turkey hunting and I teach my Botany and natural history class and help with shotgunnig when I am needed.

          I am doing a few shotgun lessons and helping with two shotgun clinics this summer. My writing, the garden, training the new puppy and shooting sporting clays have kept me out of trouble most of the summer so far.

          Spencer
          Manhattan, Kansas
        • Bernie Patrick
          Message 4 of 20 , Jul 25, 2009
            Hello Spencer:

            I'm glad you still check in here. I keep checking in, but I haven't had any hunting stories to tell for a while.

            I'm glad to see Tink is still around here also. I'm sure he keeps the group in line! ;~)

            Edsel and I have had to take a couple years off on the hunting trips due to building a log home, which is just about completed.

            I sure wish I had been in one of yours and Melinda's BOW classes! I'm sure I would have learned more in your classes.

            How is Tully doing? I am certainly an old dog around here!

            Bernie Patrick-Duty