Re: [Women Hunters] newbie

  • Nancy Brechtel
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 28, 2008
      Trisha,
      I have been hunting 3 years and haven't got my first deer yet either, I'm hoping that this might be the year. My husband is hunting this week and I will be joining him on Thursday, he says he has a special deer picked out for me that he has been watching and has come to the feeder the last 3 nights, so we will see. Good Luck

      From: trisha wong <trishawong@att. net>
      Subject: [Women Hunters] newbie
      To: womenhunters@ yahoogroups. com
      Date: Friday, October 24, 2008, 8:18 PM

      hi, im going on my first hunt with my boss soon, imscared,lol. my name
      is trisha; im a dog trainer, walker, and kennel manager. i have a
      question. what does everyone due with the leftover parts you don't use?
      just wondering cause i feed whole prey for my seven dog's, whom would
      eat anything left of any animal. this is one of the reason's why im
      learning to hunt. i live in illinios. anyone ever has stuff to discard
      will take it. what does it feel like to get your first kill? do you
      feel guilty?

      trisha wong
      lake villa,il

    • trisha wong`
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 30, 2008
        thanks for sharing amanda. what state do you  live in? im in illnios.

        Trisha Wong
        Angel Dog's Positive Reinforcement Obedience Training & Services
        Lake Villa,IL

        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 3, 2008
          I live in Texas. I see that you are a dog trainer. I am a volunteer at my
          local animal shelter. I help with training, so that they have a better
          chance of being adopted. I hope you have a great hunting season. I killed
          two two hundred pound hogs on Nov. 1 and my husband got a nice 8 point. Good
          luck!

          On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 6:03 PM, trisha wong` <trishawong@...> wrote:

          > thanks for sharing amanda. what state do you live in? im in illnios.
          >
          > Trisha Wong
          > Angel Dog's Positive Reinforcement Obedience Training & Services
          > Lake Villa,IL
          >
          > --- On Sun, 10/26/08, Amanda Cornelius <acornelius83@...<acornelius83%40gmail.com>>
          > wrote:
          >
          > From: Amanda Cornelius <acornelius83@... <acornelius83%40gmail.com>>
          > Subject: Re: [Women Hunters] newbie
          > To: womenhunters@yahoogroups.com <womenhunters%40yahoogroups.com>
          > Date: Sunday, October 26, 2008, 6:01 PM
          >
          > Depends on the person, I think. I have been hunting all my life and didn't
          > take my first deer until I was 16. I felt a rush of different emotions that
          > I can't explain. Your first deer you will probably be shaking a lot
          > (especially on a buck) and I know it sounds crazy, but try and remain calm.
          > My first deer was a doe and I would swear to you I thought my heart was
          > going to come out of my chest. I have harvested several deer since that
          > time
          > I still get pumped over each and every one. I don't have to kill something
          > for it to be a successful hunt to me, just to watch and observe their
          > behavior is amazing to me. I have never felt guilty because I don't kill
          > out
          > of spite or meanness. I eat everything I kill, so nothing goes to waste. I
          > started off small to begin with a doe, then a spike, then a little 6 point,
          > then a few eights, then a 9 point, then my biggest a ten point that scores
          > 140'', but in eyes no matter how big or small they were all trophy's.
          >
          > On Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 8:18 PM, trisha wong <trishawong@att. net> wrote:
          >
          > > hi, im going on my first hunt with my boss soon, imscared,lol. my name
          > > is trisha; im a dog trainer, walker, and kennel manager. i have a
          > > question. what does everyone due with the leftover parts you don't use?
          > > just wondering cause i feed whole prey for my seven dog's, whom would
          > > eat anything left of any animal. this is one of the reason's why im
          > > learning to hunt. i live in illinios. anyone ever has stuff to discard
          > > will take it. what does it feel like to get your first kill? do you
          > > feel guilty?
          > >
          > > trisha wong
          > > lake villa,il

        • S J
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 3, 2008
            Where in Texas are you and where did you kill those hogs...
            Im in Round Rock and hunt all over our Lone Star State

            On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 6:03 PM, trisha wong` <trishawong@att. net> wrote:

            > thanks for sharing amanda. what state do you live in? im in illnios.

            > Trisha Wong

            > Angel Dog's Positive Reinforcement Obedience Training & Services

            > Lake Villa,IL

            > --- On Sun, 10/26/08, Amanda Cornelius <acornelius83@ gmail.com<acornelius83% 40gmail.com> >

            > wrote:

            > From: Amanda Cornelius <acornelius83@ gmail.com <acornelius83% 40gmail.com> >

            > Subject: Re: [Women Hunters] newbie

            > To: womenhunters@ yahoogroups. com <womenhunters% 40yahoogroups. com>

            > Date: Sunday, October 26, 2008, 6:01 PM

            > Depends on the person, I think. I have been hunting all my life and didn't

            > take my first deer until I was 16. I felt a rush of different emotions that

            > I can't explain. Your first deer you will probably be shaking a lot

            > (especially on a buck) and I know it sounds crazy, but try and remain calm.

            > My first deer was a doe and I would swear to you I thought my heart was

            > going to come out of my chest. I have harvested several deer since that

            > time

            > I still get pumped over each and every one. I don't have to kill something

            > for it to be a successful hunt to me, just to watch and observe their

            > behavior is amazing to me. I have never felt guilty because I don't kill

            > out

            > of spite or meanness. I eat everything I kill, so nothing goes to waste. I

            > started off small to begin with a doe, then a spike, then a little 6 point,

            > then a few eights, then a 9 point, then my biggest a ten point that scores

            > 140'', but in eyes no matter how big or small they were all trophy's.

            > On Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 8:18 PM, trisha wong <trishawong@ att. net> wrote:

            > > hi, im going on my first hunt with my boss soon, imscared,lol. my name

            > > is trisha; im a dog trainer, walker, and kennel manager. i have a

            > > question. what does everyone due with the leftover parts you don't use?

            > > just wondering cause i feed whole prey for my seven dog's, whom would

            > > eat anything left of any animal. this is one of the reason's why im

            > > learning to hunt. i live in illinios. anyone ever has stuff to discard

            > > will take it. what does it feel like to get your first kill? do you

            > > feel guilty?

            > > trisha wong

            > > lake villa,il

          • Amanda Cornelius
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 3, 2008
              East Texas! We are in San Augustine County and have been on this lease for 3
              years. We have seen such a change in the quality of deer because of the new
              antler restriction. I have not taken a deer yet, but I want a mature deer.
              Trail cams told off on the hogs they were coming out at the same time
              everyday last week. Which was kind of strange, but 8:00 in the morning and
              6:00 in the evening. Do you use any calls for the bucks? Have you had any
              luck with a certain one?

            • Diane Mayhew
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 3, 2008
                Amanda-
                We hunt in Hardin County (Votaw) on a lease, and we've had a mess of hogs this year too. If you can, try to get rid of the hogs so that the deer will come to you better.  We were afraid that the hogs were going to be our prizes opening weekend, because of all the ground that has been torn up, but they must have been spooked out or something, and I was able to get a nice 8 pt opening evening, and actually my buck was running through the area so I grunted at him making a similar sound to one of those one's you by at the store. (He was about 200 yards out) It did stop him. And he ended up coming to my feeder following a doe trail. He was in full rut.

                Good luck!

                Diane

                On Mon, Nov 3, 2008 at 12:00 PM, S J <sallyjotexas@ yahoo.com> wrote:

> [...]
                >
                > > started off small to begin with a doe, then a spike, then a little 6
                > point,
                >
                > > then a few eights, then a 9 point, then my biggest a ten point that
                > scores
                >
                > > 140'', but in eyes no matter how big or small they were all trophy's.
                >

                > > On Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 8:18 PM, trisha wong <trishawong@ att. net>
                > wrote:
                >

                > > > hi, im going on my first hunt with my boss soon, imscared,lol. my name
                >
                > > > is trisha; im a dog trainer, walker, and kennel manager. i have a
                >
                > > > question. what does everyone due with the leftover parts you don't use?
                >
                > > > just wondering cause i feed whole prey for my seven dog's, whom would
                >
                > > > eat anything left of any animal. this is one of the reason's why im
                >
                > > > learning to hunt. i live in illinios. anyone ever has stuff to discard
                >
                > > > will take it. what does it feel like to get your first kill? do you

              • S J
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 15, 2008
                  Amanda, I killed a hog this weekend...
                  but getting back to your question that I am
                  sorry for the delay in answering...
                  Typically I hunt blinds/feeders, but I have
                  a man that rattles bucks in and he has rattled
                  me up two bucks so far..an 8 pt in 2006 and
                  a 9 pt this season...Nov 8th..that is such an
                  exciting thing to watch...those jealous bucks
                  ready for a fight...what an adrenaline rush to see one charging in and then POW! I myself,
                  have not called one in...but rattling is fun..