Dog Owners' Election Guide

  • John
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 29 12:54 PM
      No Clear Support For Dog Owners'
      Rights In Presidential Primaries

      by JOHN YATES
      The American Sporting Dog Alliance
      http://www.americansportingdogalliance.org

      Dog and kennel owners aren't likely to find a hero among the five
      surviving major candidates for President of the United States, an
      analysis of voting records, public statements and news reports by
      The American Sporting Dog Alliance (ASDA) shows. ASDA defends the
      rights of dog owners and professionals who own or work with breeds
      of dogs used for hunting.

      Animal rights and animal welfare issues have not been identified as
      among the major concerns of voters this year, and information about
      the candidates' positions and records on these issues is difficult
      to find. ASDA's analysis concentrates on the available public record
      of each candidate.

      Candidates Hillary Clinton, Barack Obama, Ron Paul, John McCain and
      Mike Huckabee remain in the race following the early primary
      elections. Primaries remain in Pennsylvania, Ohio, Texas, Vermont,
      Rhode Island and other states. McCain appears to be headed for the
      Republican nomination, but the Democratic race is seen as very close
      between Clinton and Obama.

      This report will summarize ASDA's findings. Detailed documentation
      is available to support our summary of each candidate's position.

      Clinton

      Sen. Clinton's track record shows clear support for animal rights
      legislature during her tenure in the U.S. Senate. From 2002 to
      present, she has received 100% ratings from the Society for Animal
      Protective Legislation, the Humane Society of the United States
      (HSUS), the Animal Protection Institute, the Doris Day Animal League
      and the Fund for Animals. Her prior ratings were 86%.

      She also has been given consistently low ratings by gun owners'
      organizations, and middle of the road ratings by farm groups. Gun
      Owners of America has consistently rated her at 0%, and the National
      Rifle Association has given her consistent "F" ratings. A gun
      control group, the Brady Campaign Against Handgun Violence, has
      given her consistent 100% ratings.

      Sen. Clinton also has demonstrated a strong propensity to support
      liberal activist causes and heavy-handed legislative solutions.

      Obama

      Sen. Obama has had a relatively brief political career and short
      track record. He has received above average approval ratings by
      animal rights groups. During 2005-2006, he received a 60% rating
      from HSUS and the Fund For Animals. However, in a public statement
      during the Nevada primary, he supported the concept of animal rights
      and touted the previous endorsements of the Humane Society of the
      United States (HSUS). He said: "…it's very important that we have a
      president who is mindful of the cruelty that is perpetrated on
      animals." He also said he supported legislation in the Illinois
      state Senate that bans the slaughter of horses.

      Obama has received a generally poor rating by gun owners' groups,
      and above average ratings by farm groups. Gun Owners of America gave
      him a 100% rating one year, and 0% the year before. He has been
      given a consistent "F" rating by the National Rifle Association.

      Although he has said that he does not hunt or own firearms, his
      campaign website makes a very strong statement in favor of gun
      owners' rights, conservation and hunting. He is seen as generally
      supporting liberal activist causes.

      Paul

      Rep. Paul has received generally low ratings by HSUS and other
      animal rights groups, and has established a clear congressional
      record for voting against most animal rights legislation. He
      received moderate approval ratings by animal rights groups during
      his early years in Congress, but his ratings dropped sharply in
      recent years. HSUS, The Doris Day Animal League and Fund for Animals
      have given him consistent 11% ratings since 2003. In contrast, the
      National Animal Interest Alliance Trust, which supports the rights
      of animal owners, gave him a 100% rating in 2006.

      He has won strong ratings from gun owners' groups, and very low
      ratings from groups that favor gun control. Gun Owners of America
      has given him consistent 100% ratings, and NRA has given him
      consistent "B" grades. Gun control groups have given him
      consistently low ratings. His farm group ratings have been moderate.

      He is generally seen as a libertarian who believes in small
      government and civil liberties, although he has not been completely
      consistent in this regard.

      McCain

      Sen. McCain has received mixed but generally low-to-moderate ratings
      from animal rights groups, and is generally seen as someone whose
      position on animal rights legislation is moderate. His voting record
      shows strong support for animal owners on most issues, but also a
      willingness to support some animal welfare legislation.

      Prior to 2003, McCain received very high ratings (mostly 100%) from
      animal rights groups, including some of the most radical
      organizations, such as the Doris Day Animal League. For the past two
      years, however, his rating from the Fund for Animals and HSUS has
      been 40%, and it was 20% for the three years before that.

      He has said publicly that he doesn't hunt and doesn't own firearms,
      but knows how to hunt and how to shoot. McCain's ratings by Gun
      Owners of American have ranged from 0% to 100%, and the National
      Rifle Association has given him "C+" grades in recent years. His
      rating by groups advocating gun control has ranged from 0% to 14%.
      Farm groups have given him above average ratings.

      McCain is seen as generally moderate on domestic issues, most often
      favoring the status quo but occasionally supporting new laws that
      infringe on the rights of animal owners and the Second Amendment.

      Huckabee

      Mr. Huckabee does not have a legislative track record, but clearly
      did not support moderate animal rights legislation during his 10-
      year tenure as Governor of Arkansas. He has been vehemently attacked
      by the HSUS for not supporting animal rights issues as governor. He
      opposed legislation to make animal cruelty convictions a felony
      (they are misdemeanors in Arkansas).

      He has issued no position papers on animal rights or animal welfare,
      but has issued strong statements in favor of gun owners' rights,
      farming and hunting. He is a member of the National Rifle
      Association and describes himself as a life-long hunter. He is a
      strong and vocal supporter of farmers' organizations.

      Huckabee's record is tarnished, however, by his son's reported
      involvement in an animal cruelty case, and reports that he
      interfered in the police investigation. This incident was reported
      by Newsweek on Dec. 15, 2007. The incident occurred in 1998, and the
      magazine reported that a stray dog was tortured, stoned and killed
      by hanging at a youth camp where Huckabee's son had worked as a
      counselor. Huckabee's son was fired from his job, and reportedly
      said the dog was ill and had mange. An Arkansas prosecuting attorney
      tried to look into the allegation, but said he received no
      cooperation from the state police. Huckabee allegedly leaned on the
      head of the state police to block any investigation of the incident.

      Huckabee generally is seen as a "new right" social conservative who
      is opposed to governmental interference in private business.

      The American Sporting Dog Alliance works to protect the rights of
      dog owners and professionals. Your participation and membership are
      vital to our success. Please visit us on the web at
      http://www.americansportingdogalliance.org .
    • Constance
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 3, 2008
        Good information.

        Keep in mind that animal welfare, animal cruelty
        and animal rights can be very different things politically.

        Constance