Re: [Women Hunters] Intro from SE Michigan

  • Michelle Jackson
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 1, 2007
      Hi Sonya
      I Live in Virginia Beach but my hubby is from Michigan.. south west corner.. town called Eau Claire (near Benten Harbor & Dowagac).. We went for thnaksgiving and I shot my first deer (after 25 years of hunting in Maine where my folks are from)!! I got a small doe but I was soooo happy.. It appears that Michigan is the place to hunt!! My hubby is in the Navy and gets out in 5 years and that is where we will be moving to.. I can't wait.... Take care and glad to hear you're raising them youngsters right!!! :-)

      Sonya <talking2sonya@...> wrote:
      Hello to all, my name is Sonya, I am from SE Michigan, married for 15
      years and have 2 kids, a son 14 and a daughter 11. 3 of the 4 of us
      hunt, me, my son and my daughter is in training..... Hubby isn't a
      hunter, but will help drag and help hang. I have been hunting for 5
      years now, with 3 under my belt. I took my son out on opening day and
      he got his first deer, an 8 point...... His was slightly bigger then
      the one I got 2 years ago..... He loves it!!!!
      Good Luck to all,
      Sonya
      SE Michigan

    • Sonya
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 3, 2007
        Michelle,
        Congratulations on your first deer. Years ago, I ran with the local ambulance serves and saw how many accidents were caused from deer. Now years later, I find out that our county is one of the highest in the area for deer and we are under a DMU - Deer management unit.
        I feel really fortunate to have been hunting only 5 years, I got one the first 3 years and then the last 2 years, my son carries my gun while we are in the woods. Now that he has his deer, I am taking his best friend out with me. I can honestly say that it was more exciting to have the experience with the kids in the woods, then me getting my own. Next year my daughter will be able to carry a gun, so I'm gonna have to get us another gun. She does well with the camera for now..... \What an experience to have the kids (2-14year olds & 11 year old) helping to process also..... they did great, we were able to kind of turn it into a learning lesson in science..... Best of luck in the future hunts and feel free to contact me anytime.
        Sonya
        SE Michigan

      • Robin
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 5, 2007
          Hi Sonya -

          I'm a former Mi'er - I was up north by the bridge. I'm back in SC now
          and miss Mi so much!

          Anyways, good for you on hunting with the kids! I used to love to take
          them with me and some of the best times with them.

          Have you every participated in the WWOW program at Washtenaw Sportsman
          Club? They have a BOW type program mothers day weekend and it's a
          blast. Let me know if you're interested and I'll forward Gails info.
          They also do trips to Costa Rica and the Bahamas. :)

          Happy Hunting-
          Robin

          --- In womenhunters@yahoogroups.com, "Sonya" <talking2sonya@...> wrote:

          > Hello to all, my name is Sonya, I am from SE Michigan, married for 15
          > years and have 2 kids, a son 14 and a daughter 11. 3 of the 4 of us
          > hunt, me, my son and my daughter is in training..... Hubby isn't a
          > hunter, but will help drag and help hang. I have been hunting for 5
          > years now, with 3 under my belt. I took my son out on opening day
          and
          > he got his first deer, an 8 point...... His was slightly bigger then
          > the one I got 2 years ago..... He loves it!!!!
          > Good Luck to all,
          > Sonya
          > SE Michigan

        • Sonya
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 6, 2007
            Hi Robin,
            How is the hunting in SC? I have not heard of WWOW... I would be
            interested in hearing more... thank you in advance. I am not a bow
            hunter, my son has a nice bow and is good with it, but he isn't
            pulling just enough on it for me to feel comfortable yet... the
            people on our league say that he could make a kill, but I'm not
            comfortable... I want his experience to be quick and clean (ya know
            what I mean) as fast as he is growing, I'm sure now that he could
            pull more so maybe next season we can try bow.....
            Happy Holidays,
            Sonya
            SE MIchigan

            --- In womenhunters@yahoogroups.com, "Robin" <r.lee34@...> wrote:

            > Hi Sonya -
            >
            > I'm a former Mi'er - I was up north by the bridge. I'm back in SC
            now
            > and miss Mi so much!
            >
            > Anyways, good for you on hunting with the kids! I used to love to
            take
            > them with me and some of the best times with them.
            >
            > Have you every participated in the WWOW program at Washtenaw
            Sportsman
            > Club? They have a BOW type program mothers day weekend and it's a
            > blast. Let me know if you're interested and I'll forward Gails
            info.
            > They also do trips to Costa Rica and the Bahamas. :)
            >
            > Happy Hunting-
            > Robin
            >
            > --- In womenhunters@yahoogroups.com, "Sonya" <talking2sonya@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hello to all, my name is Sonya, I am from SE Michigan, married
            for 15
            > > years and have 2 kids, a son 14 and a daughter 11. 3 of the 4 of
            us
            > > hunt, me, my son and my daughter is in training..... Hubby isn't
            > > hunter, but will help drag and help hang. I have been hunting
            for 5
            > > years now, with 3 under my belt. I took my son out on opening
            day
            > and
            > > he got his first deer, an 8 point...... His was slightly bigger
            then
            > > the one I got 2 years ago..... He loves it!!!!
            > > Good Luck to all,
            > > Sonya
            > > SE Michigan

          • Robin
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 6, 2007
              This year the hunting is so so. our season is from aug 15th - Jan
              1st (all gun season) so I've been going out every other week and
              haven't hardly seen anything. it's been a very strange year...more
              acorn than in the past 10 years so the deer dont need to come out of
              the woods to eat corn. and hunting in a bathing suit covered by a
              bug suit in 98 degrees is a lot different than 18 layers and 20
              degrees! :)

              anyways, the lady that runs it - her name is Gail. here is her email
              address wscwomen@... and the club's website
              http://www.wsclub.org/

              another good link
              http://www.michigandnr.com/publications/pdfs/edopps/2008.pdf

              and
              www.michigan-sportsman.com

              wrote:

              > Hi Robin,
              > How is the hunting in SC? I have not heard of WWOW... I would be
              > interested in hearing more... thank you in advance. I am not a bow
              > hunter, my son has a nice bow and is good with it, but he isn't
              > pulling just enough on it for me to feel comfortable yet... the
              > people on our league say that he could make a kill, but I'm not
              > comfortable... I want his experience to be quick and clean (ya know
              > what I mean) as fast as he is growing, I'm sure now that he could
              > pull more so maybe next season we can try bow.....
              > Happy Holidays,
              > Sonya
              > SE MIchigan
              >

              > --- In womenhunters@yahoogroups.com, "Robin" <r.lee34@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hi Sonya -
              > >
              > > I'm a former Mi'er - I was up north by the bridge. I'm back in
              SC
              > now
              > > and miss Mi so much!
              > >
              > > Anyways, good for you on hunting with the kids! I used to love
              > take
              > > them with me and some of the best times with them.
              > >
              > > Have you every participated in the WWOW program at Washtenaw
              > Sportsman
              > > Club? They have a BOW type program mothers day weekend and it's
              > > blast. Let me know if you're interested and I'll forward Gails
              > info.
              > > They also do trips to Costa Rica and the Bahamas. :)
              > >
              > > Happy Hunting-
              > > Robin
              > >
              > > --- In womenhunters@yahoogroups.com, "Sonya" <talking2sonya@>
              wrote:

              > > > Hello to all, my name is Sonya, I am from SE Michigan, married
              > for 15
              > > > years and have 2 kids, a son 14 and a daughter 11. 3 of the 4
              of
              > us
              > > > hunt, me, my son and my daughter is in training..... Hubby
              isn't
              > > > hunter, but will help drag and help hang. I have been hunting
              > for 5
              > > > years now, with 3 under my belt. I took my son out on opening
              > day
              > > and
              > > > he got his first deer, an 8 point...... His was slightly bigger
              > then
              > > > the one I got 2 years ago..... He loves it!!!!
              > > > Good Luck to all,
              > > > Sonya
              > > > SE Michigan

            • Mike
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 8, 2007
                I sure wish we had a modern gun season that long here in Arkyland we
                have 2 weeks of black powder then 2 weeks of modern gun season in most
                places. Then two 3 day seasons that are within driving distance in
                Jan. our bow season is that long but I'm not into the primative stuff
                that much. And those bugs in Black Powder season??? YUCK! LOL Good