Re: [Women Hunters] bows

  • MessageINaBottle
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 30, 2007
      Who bought that bow for you? Your boyfriend? If so he probably bought it to for his pull capabilities and not yours.

      Anyway, I use a parker buckshot; they come in different ranges. Either a 30-40 or a 40-50.

      They are designed for kids mostly because they have a "grow up" plan where you can buy the 30-40 pounder and it will adjust a full 10" and you can order the bigger draw weight parts for 50 bucks or so within a year.

      That may not be verbatim accurate, but I have a 40-50 Parkers bow and I like it. Currently I am making a homemade longbow...one for my boyfriend and one for me. They are made of hickory and will be backed with bamboo.

      I am very interested in traditional archery,,,it is yet another method of bow hunting that should be considered by all archers. After all, thats what most of our ancestors used to sustain and protect themselves for eons.

      Just a side note, if you are a woman and you go to a sporting goods store to acquire hunting gear for YOURSELF, go to a store that RESPECTS and shows you courtesy. Most will dis you because you are a woman. They just don't expect us to know much or take us serious as hunters, ect. I went to three stores and the first two sucked. The last one treated me seriously and thats where I bought my bow. Good service means a lot to me. But if your bow is a 40 pound draw and you want it lowered, they really cant do that; its too dangerous.

      Martha in Montana

      brendab_17_99 <brendab_17_99@...> wrote: When I went to the archery shop...the "person" behind the counter
      said they could not lower my draw weight under 40lb...I have a hoyt
      selena....is it true or could they have done it....anyone know

      --- In womenhunters@yahoogroups.com, kristina_everhart@... wrote:

      > I hunt with a Hoyt SierraTec and it's draw weight is only 40 lbs.
      They
      > have a new bow for women called Selena and it's draw weight is 30-
      60 lbs.
      > Just make sure to check the hunting regulations in your state to
      see what
      > the minimum draw weight is to make sure you're legal.
      >
      > Kristina Everhart
      > Engineering Services,
      > Technical Librarian
      >

      > "cammiecary" <cammiecary@...>
      > Sent by: womenhunters@yahoogroups.com
      > 11/03/2005 04:28 PM
      > Please respond to
      > womenhunters@yahoogroups.com

      > womenhunters@yahoogroups.com
      > cc
      >
      > Subject
      > [Women Hunters] bows
      >

      > Can anybody give me advise on a good bow for a not so strong girl.
      > I can't even pull back 50lb. I love rifle hunting haven't tried
      bow
      > hunting yet but anxious to try Thanks... Cammie
      >

      > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
      >
      > Visit your group "womenhunters" on the web.

      Service.

      http://www.suncanaa.com/in_memory_

    • Gail
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 1, 2007
        No one Selena goes from 30-60#. That means you can get the bow with
        either 30#, 40#, 50#, or 60# limbs. Each set only goes down about
        10#.
        Gail

        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 1, 2007
          If you have a 50# bow, it should not go under 40#. Most bows,
          including Hoyt, can be lowered 10# from what they are marked. A
          couple brands will go 15#.
          Gail

          --- In womenhunters@yahoogroups.com, "brendab_17_99"