Re: [Women Hunters] Successful Turkey Hunt

  • Dr. Spencer Tomb
    Message 1 of 6 , May 2, 2004
      Shelly:
      Kishka is right. Do not be down on yourself. Several years ago
      Melinda rolled a big tom in the spring and it got away I shot at it
      too and it did not go down. It was out there at 40 plus yards. later
      that fall she took that tom and he had about 30 of our #6s still in
      his backside. He was just too far and none of the pellets we pu in
      him hit neck bones.

      We both did a little practice after that and now each year we work on
      our ability to judge distance and practice shooting our load and choke
      combinations before the season.

      Just remember that big toms look closer than they are.

      Good luck.

      Spencer

      P.S. Our season is half over. I have a 3 year old in the freezer He
      had a 10.5" beard and 1" spurs and probably weighed 21 pounds he had
      been in a fight and was pretty mangled up. Mel took a 2 year old that
      was in better shape than mine he had a 9.8" beard and 7/8" spurs and
      was about 20 pounds. Both were classic call them in close hunts Her
      bird was taken at 23 yards and mine at 18.