Re: beginner

  • mamaflinter
    Message 1 of 5 , May 1, 2002
      Meredith welcome to the club. One thing you'll learn, as we all have
      learned about hunting. You never stop learning abouthunting. just
      when you think you know it all, you learn something else.
      Alot of people are concerned about what they are eating and take
      up hunting so that they know they are eating food that is much
      healthier than what we can buy in the meat section of the grocery
      store.
      About your new shotgun. Alot of women do in fact buy 20 ga.
      shotguns (as well as youth shooters) so that recoil is reduced. I'm
      sorry about your experience with the 12 ga. If you are still hesitant
      about the 20 ga. put a recoil pad on it and that will help reduce the
      felt recoil your shoulder receives.
      Another thing, I'd like you to visit a website called women
      hunters which can be found by clicking the following url
      http://www.womenhunters.com There are lots of interesting articles,
      message board, etc. to help you in getting equipped for hunting.
      Good luck in your hunts and I look forward to hearing about them
      in the future.

      Donna
    • BernzoBernie
      Message 2 of 5 , May 1, 2002
        Hi Meredith. Welcome to the club. And, welcome to the wonderful world
        of hunting. It really is a new world!

        If turkey season is open in your state, you really HAVE to try it.
        Once you do, you'll become a little turkey-hunting monster. You can
        hunt them with just one call such as a box call or a slate or glass
        call and wear green or brown pants & shirt if you don't have the camo
        yet. A must is a face mask and gloves, or camo makeup because they
        WILL see you face & hands.

        When I finally get around to buying a woman's gun, the weight will
        be big factor because the Remington 870 man's gun I use now is very
        heavy. I finally bought a strap for it so I can carry it on my back.
        I really hate carrying that heavy thing all over the woods.

        You'll find many knowledgeable people on this club who can help you.I
        just started hunting about 4 years ago when I joined this club, and
        got very good advice here. I still consider myself a newbie.

        I'm also sort of an artist. I use acrylic paints. Just painted a
        covered bridge on my first turkey feather and it is not too bad.

        Good luck to you.
        Bernie

        --- In womenhunters@y..., lightbownamadon@a... wrote:
        > Hi everyone,
        > I am a new member recently and just started "hunting" last fall. I
        put it in
        > parens because I really am learning everything from scratch. I live
        outside
        > of Boston in Massachusetts, don't know anyone that hunts, didn't
        grow up in
        > a neighborhood or family that hunted and have come to this later in
        my life.
        > I'm about to turn 55. Some of my friends are "preserve the
        environment"
        > people and some think that hunting is OK. Of these, some would
        like some
        > nice venison steaks if I should ever become lucky enough to get
        something. I
        > think the whole process of going out into the wild, (and I love the
        time
        > spent in the woods and fields), capturing your prey, dressing and
        preparing
        > it and finally putting it on the table is a very fulfilling and
        total
        > experience. So far, I've only put fish on the table, this may
        sound silly,
        > but I have a reverance for the food and appreciation of where it
        came from
        > that just doesn't match with supermarket food.
        > This new hobby began last summer when I confessed to my mother that
        I always
        > wanted to go hunting. this realization came about on my morning
        walks
        > through the conservation land around where I live, where I sighted
        deer
        > coming out to feed on the tender grass in one of the fields. My
        walking
        > partner thought aren't they pretty and I thought venison. Well, my
        mother
        > said, "your relatives up in Maine all go hunting every year. I'll
        write them
        > and see if you can go with them." So, I took the hunter education
        course,
        > got my FID and hunting licence and was off and running. My
        relatives are
        > mostly potato farmers way up in the back woods of Maine, close to
        Nova
        > Scotia. One of my cousins, Basil, a farmer with 40 acres, took me
        out in the
        > woods surrounding his farm, for two days in a row. (Most farmers
        have to do
        > logging to make a living now, the large corporate farms have put
        them out of
        > business.) It was a great experience, those woods had never been
        cleared
        > like the land in Massachusetts which has all at one point been
        cleared since
        > Colonial times for farming and has now filled in, the Maine woods
        were ultra
        > dense, you could hardly stick your finger off the logging roads
        into the
        > woods. Great fun! I saw "my" deer the first afternoon out,
        > but it was a doe and I ddn't have a doe licence. Afterwards, my
        cousin Basil
        > said, "You should have dropped her, we could have put it on my
        son's
        > licence." But it's just as well. That first sighting was pretty
        exciting,
        > when she lifted her head, turned to look at me curiously, and smelt
        the air
        > to pick up my scent, but couldn't because it was raining. That was
        cool. so
        > I'm hooked.
        > My first gun was a disaster. I don't really know what I'm doing,
        so I went
        > to a sporting goods store here in Cambridge and asked the salesman
        for help.
        > I said that I wanted something I could use for both bird and deer,
        something
        > versatile and with not too bad a kick.
        > Well, he sold me a Stevens 12 ga. break-action shotgun, single
        shot, that
        > left me with a bruise for two weeks and gun shy. He said it was a
        good gun
        > for a beginner. I am almost tempted to think he didn't care for
        women
        > hunters. This week I took it back and got some of my money back.
        Oh, also it
        > was used, which is OK. I have been talking to knowledgable people
        and have
        > been advised to get a 20 ga. semi-automatic shotgun, which won't
        have the
        > kick. I am an artist, illustrator and this may sound silly but I am
        looking
        > at a gun which I really like for its aesthetic value. It's the
        Benelli