[women-csd] Position Papers on Peace & Environment

  • Regina Birchem
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1, 1999
      Colleagues,

      I have been reading this list since it began and decided I should put forth
      the ongoing work of our organization, Women's International League for
      Peace and Freedom. Our focus is on peace, disarmament, environment,
      economic justice and the necessary foundation needed for sustainable peace.

      The two aspects of our work relevant to this discussion are 1) disarmament
      and impact of military activities on environment , 2) culture of peace,
      and 3) economic globalization.
      All these areas interrelate to forests, agriculture, trade, etc.

      We have a discussion paper on economic globalization developed within our
      organization and elaborated on in international conferences in Baltimore,
      August 1998, at the Hague Appeal for Peace, and recently in Costa Rica in
      conjunction with a Women Workers' Seminar. We are also sponsoring an
      October consultation in Tokyo on Globalization and its impact on women's
      lives which includes environmental aspects.

      We worked on issues related to military activities and military culture and
      the environment at the Earth Summit and at the successive CSD meetings. We
      usually did this in conjunction with the Peace Caucus, Values Caucus and
      other caucuses such as Oceans, etc.

      We would like very much to interact with others in preparation for the CSD
      8 particularly in the three areas mentioned above.

      Regina Birchem (cell & plant biologist, independent consultant)
      R.D.1, Box 134
      Irwin, PA 15642 USA