Join New Yorkers in Uniting for Climate Action this Sunday, Nov18th at 2pm!

  • Tara DePorte
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 14, 2012
    For all of you in the NYC area,

    I hope you can join the Human Impacts Institute for a climate action press event and for the public launch and training of the new NYC Climate Coalition, where we'll have networking, training on community outreach for energy efficiency, and talk about our common goals for a climate smart NYC.  AND you can drink mojitos at the same time!  So, what more could you want?

    Join us at either or both events and let's show the world that New Yorkers take climate change seriously!

    RSVP and share on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/events/431484400247848/

    New York Climate Action Press Event and NYC Climate Coalition Launch
    Sunday, November 18th, 2012

    2-2:30 NY Climate Action Press Event
    @East River State Park, N8th and Kent Ave, Brooklyn NY

    3-4:30 NYC Climate Coalition Public Launch and Training
    @Cubana Social, 70 N6th St, Brooklyn NY

    More details below:

    FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

    In Wake of Sandy, New Yorkers Take on Climate Change

    The Human Impacts Institute invites citywide action with the NYC Climate Coalition and celebrates award of solar power from Green Mountain Energy for eco-workshops at East River State Park.

    (November 12, 2012 - Brooklyn, NY) – Following the unprecedented damage to our City from Sandy, the Human Impacts Institute (HII) invites New Yorkers to unite in addressing local impacts of climate change and disaster preparedness.  On Sunday, November 18, 2012, at 2pm, the Human Impacts Institute (HII) will host a press event and public call for climate action at East River State Park in Williamsburg, Brooklyn.

    “In the past weeks, we have seen the devastating vulnerability of our community to a changing climate,” remarked Tara DePorte, Founder and Executive Director of the Human Impacts Institute, “We are joining our partners to mobilize New Yorkers in addressing climate change head-on through direct action, education, and community organizing.”

    HII will be receiving $1,500 worth of solar equipment as the winners of Green Mountain Energy’s Vote Solar for Good non-profit challenge.  The event will mark the donation of the solar generator to the community, providing a model for reducing dirty energy impacts in New York City, as well as an open invitation to all New Yorkers to join the NYC Climate Coalition—a program of HII, which focuses on climate action and awareness. Speakers at the event will include New York State Assemblyman Joseph R. Lentol, NYC Councilmember Stephen Levin, HII’s Executive Director and other community partners.

    “In light of Hurricane Sandy, we must accept that climate change is happening and we must take the necessary steps to address it. The Human Impacts Institute’s new New York City Climate Coalition is leading the way in climate change education and awareness and I commend them on their efforts,” remarked Assemblyman Lentol, “I would also like to thank Green Mountain Energy for their dedication to the community of North Brooklyn and for choosing the Human Impacts Institute as a winner. The solar generator will undoubtedly have a positive effect on educating residents of North Brooklyn, both young and old, about climate change.”

    The solar generator will be housed at the Park and will provide clean energy for HII’s eco-workshops and events, as well as other community programs. East River State Park is an ideal stage for urban green demonstrations with its soft-edge waterfront and iconic views of Manhattan that bring tens-of-thousands of visitors per year.  As one of the few green spaces in North Brooklyn, it also serves as a testament to the lack of environmental buffers to natural disasters of the climate-vulnerable waterfront. “We are so grateful to be awarded this community resource,” commented DePorte, “and it’s a great addition to the innovative demonstration areas—solar lighting, composting, rainwater harvesting, and native species gardening—that we are working with the Park to develop as educational tools.”

    Following the press event, the Human Impacts Institute invites everyone interested in addressing climate change to attend the Coalition launch at 3pm at local restaurant Cubana Social, 70 North 6th Street (between Kent Ave and Wythe Ave), Brooklyn, NY, for outreach training and a hands-on action project!

    The Human Impacts Institute’s mission is to inspire action for strong communities and a healthy environment through hands-on education, creative engagement, and coalition building. In 2011, HII provided over 250 hours of education and outreach programs —reaching over 14,000 people in NYC and other communities.  For more information: HumanImpactsInstitute.org

    Contact: Tara DePorte,

    Executive Director and Founder of Human Impacts Institute

    HumanImpactsInstitute.org

    tara@...

    Office: +1.917.727.9761

    --
    Tara DePorte
    Executive Director and Founder
    The Human Impacts Institute HumanImpactsInstitute.org

    Adjunct Professor
    The New School, NYC
    Webster University, Leiden, The Netherlands
    Tara DePorteTeaching

    Tara DePorte Art

    TaraDePorte.com
    Do LESS. Be more.