IIED- FAO Fuelling exclusion? The biofuels b oom and poor people’s access to land

  • Redwood Mary
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 2, 2008
      Dear all,
      I just received notice of this  report release by email- My Best Regards - Mary Rose

      The  IIED- FAO  publication was just released. Here are the details and how to access it.

      < Fuelling exclusion? The biofuels boom and poor people’s access to land >
      by Lorenzo Cotula, Nat Dyer and Sonja Vermeulen (
      http://www.iied.org/pubs/display.php?o=12551IIED).

      The report explores current and potential impacts of the increasing spread of biofuels on access to land in producer countries, particularly for poorer rural people. It finds that biofuels could revitalise rural agriculture and livelihoods, but may also marginalise poorer people - particularly where local land rights are insecure, capacity to enforce them is limited, and major power asymmetries shape relations between local resource users and large industry players.

      The report takes stock of evidence from Africa, Latin America and Asia, charting both negative experiences and promising approaches.

      Mary Rose(Redwood Mary) Kaczorowski
      Executive Director, Circle The Earth - Grassroots Women Taking Action for a Sustainable Future
      P.O. Box 14146, Berkeley CA 94712  USA

      NGO Delegate U.N. Commission on Sustainable Development, Womens' Major Group; California Women's Agenda, Environmental Co-Chair
      E-mail:   infocircletheearth@...    Web: http://www.circletheearth.netfirms.com/
      REDWOOD MARY's BLOG:http://redwoodmaryncalifornia.blogspot.com/ & Column at:http://www.feminist.com/activism/environment.html