Youth Information

  • ICYOIndia
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 2, 2007
      ICYO – Youth Information Newsletter

      Indian Committee of Youth Organizations

      November 2007 No. 75

      Platform of 356 Youth Organizations in India

      India’s largest network of urban and rural youth

      AIDS Battle Must be Won, Asserts Sonia Gandhi

      "IT IS a battle that can and must be won," said UPA chairperson and Congress chief Sonia Gandhi as she flagged off the Red Ribbon Express in New Delhi that will carry AIDS messages over 27,000 km across 24 states within the next one year.

      UNAIDS-backed data released this year said the estimated HIV-infected population in India was 2.5 million, half of last year's estimate of 5.2 million.

      "It continues to be a major public health concern. No single thing has such an impact in the world. Men and women in the prime of their youth have been lost to this disease," she said.

      Drugs to treat AIDS are available free under the government programme, but less than one lakh people are registered, largely because of the stigma attached. If treated, a person infected with the AIDS virus can lead a healthy life for many years.

      Second-line AIDS drugs for people who develop resistance will be provided free under the government programme in Mumbai and Chennai. These drugs are expensive and beyond the reach of thousands of HIV/AIDs victims in India," said Health Minister Anbumani Ramadoss. He said the scheme, which is expected to benefit over 2,000 people in its initial phase, would be extended to the rest of the country by April 1, 2007.

      At the flagging off at New Delhi's Safdarjang Railway Station, Railway Minister Lalu Prasad Yaday said that the government will make another train available for AIDS awareness. "The Indian Railway network is the ideal route to rollout a mass mobilization initiative intended to reach every nook and corner of the nation," he said.

      A collaboration between NACO, Rajiv Gandhi Foundation, Indian Railways and Nehru Yuva Kendra Sangathan, the train will become the platform for interactions, plays, films and poster exhibitions in what is being projected as the biggest AIDS awareness campaign in the country.

      IAPPD’s National Inter-University Debate Competition held

      3rd National Inter-University Debate Competition 2007-08 was held in New Delhi from November 16-17, 2007 and twenty-six universities were participated. They debated on topic “Urbanization Improves Environment”.  The debate was conducted first at University level (inter-college) and then at National level.

      The debate “For and Against” the above topic was very inspiring and thought provoking and interesting.  The participants were, no doubt, talented and prepared the topic very well.  University of Mumbai was declared Winner Team and the Runner-up Team was M.S. University of Baroda, Vadodara and individual prizes were given as under:- First Prize Mr.Aseem Naphade, Mumbai University; Second Prize Ms.Resham Pandit, M.S. University of Baroda, Vadodara and Third Prize Mr.Nachiket Kulkarni, Mumbai Univeristy, Mumbai.

      Mr Prem Singh, Speaker, Legislative Assembly Delhi inaugurated the debate on 16 November 2007 at SatPal Mittal Centre for Parliamentians. Mr. B.K. Prasad, Joint Secretary, MOH&FW was guest of honour, Mr. Sat Mahajan, Development Minister, Himachal Pradesh and Chairman, IAPPD presided the debate.  Prof.P.J. Kurien, MP and Chairman of IAPPD Standing Committee,  Mr Virendra Kataria, Vice-Chairman, IAPPD and Sh.Manmohan Sharma, Executive Secretary, IAPPD were on the dias.

      Members of the jury were Dr.D.K. Banerjee from Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU); Mr.K.M. Sathyanarayana, UNFPA; Mr.K.S. Sebastian, IPPF; Mr.R.S. Meena (Kalky); Ministry of Health and Family Welfare (MOH&FW); Dr.(Mrs.) Sudesh Nangia from Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU) as Chairperson and Dr.Kusum Premi was the Observer.

      Indian Association of Parliamentarians on Population and Development (IAPPD) organized the Inter-University Debate Competition, which is an annual feature.

      Alliance of Civilizations Annual Forum, Spain

      The AoC Annual Forum is a high-level event that will bring together key stakeholders to explore ways to promote cross-cultural understanding globally and will be held 14-16 January 2008 in Spain.

      Youth participation is critical to help frame the discussion, identify solutions in order to achieve greater understanding and tolerance between cultures and to carry the work forward after the forum.

      A pre-forum orientation session will be arranged on January 14, 2008, for youth participants to get to know each other and to better understand the forum’s objectives. From 15-16 January, youth will have the opportunity to engage in an interactive dialogue with noted world leaders during parallel working sessions.

      ICYO will attend the Forum.

      UNESCO Policy Paper on
      Peer-Group Monitoring and Evaluation

      Providing adolescent girls with the learning opportunities they need to develop their full potential was the fundamental motivation for the launch of the 2002 UNESCO pilot project "Breaking the Poverty Cycle of Women".

      From its early stages, the project addressed the multidimensional nature of poverty through its broad-based capacity-building programme and work with young people as peer monitors and evaluators. Based on the experience of the peer-group monitoring and evaluation component of the project, the UNESCO Section for Youth, Sport and Physical Education has just published
      a policy paper on Peer Group Monitoring and Evaluation entitled "Assessing Youth Empowerment through Peer-Group Monitoring and Evaluation: lessons learned and Perspectives for Replication".

      WAY AIDS Fund Launched

      World Assembly of Youth (WAY) launched the WAY AIDS FUND, which aims to raise US $ 38 million for its initial campaign.

      This campaign aims to develop and implement global HIV/AIDS intervention programmes in collaboration with national youth councils, as well as to launch an international media campaign with messages targeting youth around the world.

      Hostel of WYF Inaugurated

      The World Youth Foundation (WYF) launched it hostel on 19th November 2007. The hostel is milestone for the Foundation.

      The WYF Hostel is located within the Foundation Complex building. The WYF Hostel has a total of 39 apartment units that consist of three room apartments, a management office, a volleyball court and a prayer room. The hostel will start working from15th December 2007.

      WHO Developing
      an Integrated Approach to Adolescent Health

      The World Health Organization (WHO) is a treasure-trove of useful guidance on individual and public health, but is it organized in a fashion to address adolescent health issues in countries?

      This was the challenge that WHO's Department of Child and Adolescent Health and Development (CAH) rose to meet over the summer. While many departments within the organization work with "children" (defined as under 18), they do not necessarily specify actions for adolescents. The aim of the initiative was to provide better, more comprehensive support to countries by developing a portal to the breadth of resources that WHO has to offer on adolescents' health. CAH will use this as a basis to explore how WHO country offices can use such technical resources to address the health of adolescents in a more integrated manner.

      Globalization has not created many real opportunities in South Asia: Report on the World Social Situation.

      UNFPA UN Interagency Task Force on Adolescent Girls

      From 28-29 November, the UN Interagency Task Force on Adolescent Girls convened a meeting at UNFPA to discuss three main objectives:  (1) formalizing the task force and reaching agreement on its purpose and modalities for working together; (2) developing a joint programming framework for reaching marginalized adolescent girls; and (3) planning for joint programming through fundraising and partnership opportunities. During the meeting, the Task Force defined the essential elements for the joint programming framework and brainstormed on the potential for leveraging and driving resources for more targeted, strategic efforts aimed at marginalized girls as part of national development plans.

      Additionally, the Coalition for Adolescent Girls, a public-private initiative spearheaded by the UN Foundation and Nike Foundation to create lasting change in the developing world by driving investments to adolescent girls, launched a draft version of its Impact Girls Report.

      This seminal report, is the first of its kind that brings together the evidence base from the economics and social sciences perspectives and makes the case for the key role adolescent girls play in development.

      New UN 2007 Report on the World Social Situation Launched

      The "Report on the World Social Situation 2007: The Employment Imperative” focuses on the key role of productive employment and decent work in reducing poverty and promoting social development. The report states that in countries that have profited from globalization, adaptable and mobile young people have benefited. However, for countless others in Africa, South Asia and Latin America, globalization has not created many real opportunities. The report urges governments to place productive employment for all, rather than economic growth, or even simply creating jobs, at the centre of economic and social policy making.

      For more information, log on http://www.un.org/esa/socdev/social/rwss/index.html#2007

      Announcement

      ICYO start new e-newsletter on “Campaign against Sexual Abuse of Children and Youth” which covered the wide range of news, reports, activities on issue related to Commercial Sexual Abuse children (CESC) and Sexual Exploitation of Children and Youth. ICYO- Youth Information welcome the related materials for the newsletter.

      To receive the newsletters write to icyoindia@...

      Upcoming events:

      National Integration Youth Camp in
      West Bengal, India

      National Youth Project will organize the National Integration Youth Camp at Bainchigram, Dist Hoogly in West Bengal from December 22-29, 2007.

      The camp is open for Indian Youth age between 18 to 30 years. For more detail and participation contact NYP at nypindia@...

      Int. Young Professional Summit on MDGs

      The third International Young Professionals Summit, IYPS 2008, will be held from 19th to 22nd August 2008 in Manchester, England and will have the theme "How young professionals can help to achieve the Millennium Development Goals".

      The aim of the Summit is to bring together young professionals for networking, capacity building and information sharing around this core theme and specific topics covered will include: Governance, economy and education; Women and gender equality; Healthcare and HIV / AIDS; Environmental sustainability.

      For more information, log on http://www.iyps.org.

      CIVICUS Youth Assembly the 2008

      “People, Participation and Power...”

      Building on the success of last year's CIVICUS Youth Assembly the 2008 event will offer an execeptional opportunity to meet and work with other young women and men who are really making changes to things that matter.

      The Youth Assembly will offer young delegates a programme and a space to develop and commit to action internationally. The theme of participation in civil society will be explored over the course of the event and delegates will learn about issues that effect billions of people worldwide. The programme will develop not only delegate’s knowledge, but also build personal capacity through a series of workshops and skills development sessions. Participation is key and all delegates will be fully engaged in a programme

      Delegates will also have the opportunity to meet a number of Young Scots who are involved nationwide in social justice programmes. These opportunities will help build global linkages and offer both delegates and young Scots opportunities to understand issues from a global perspective.

      The age limit is 25 years old. For application information, log on http://www.rnw.org.uk/apply_now.aspx

      YES Fund Announces Business Plan Competition

      YES (Youth Employment Systems) Fund, the Global Fund for Youth Entrepreneurship announced the launch of the ICT Business Plan Competition for 2007-2008, to support budding young entrepreneurs.

      The programme will support youth to identify opportunities, prepare their business plans and compete for the best ideas. The winners will be provided with award money (in the form of collateral or loan guarantee) and innovative business development services to start their enterprise.

      Excited about the possibilities that this initiative brings, Gratian Vas, Executive Director, Indo Global Social Service Society, IGSSS commented, "The deserving youth, with drive and initiative but held back due to the lack of adequate financial backing, find an excellent opening to unleash their entrepreneurship with YES Fund."

      The competition will run from November 10, 2007 to January 18, 2008. The award ceremony will be held on March 28, 2008. Currently this pilot competition is only open to youth belonging to the YES Networks in India and Kenya. Soon it will add more countries to its portfolio. Interested youth are invited to log on to www.yesfund.org to learn about ways to participate in this Business Plan Competition.

      UN Student Conference to Recognize
      the Rights of Indigenous Peoples

      10th Annual United Nations Student Conference on Human Rights (UNSCHR) will take place from 5-7 December 2007 at United Nations Headquarters.

      The theme of this year’s Conference, "Recognizing the Rights of Indigenous Peoples", will support the goals of the Second International Decade of the World’s Indigenous People, which aims to strengthen cooperation for finding solutions to problems faced by indigenous peoples. The participants of the Conference will work to raise awareness about indigenous people and their contributions to society globally, highlighting the significance of this action towards achieving a just and non-discriminatory international human rights policy.

      For more information, log on http://www.cyberschoolbus.un.org/student/2007/about.asp.

      UN Special Session/World Fit for Children + 5

      The year 2007 marks the mid decade point for the Plan of Action of the “A World Fit for Children". The main events include the Children's Forum on 9-10 December, the commemorative high-level plenary meeting of the General Assembly and Roundtable discussions on 11 and 12 December 2007 in New York.

      For more information, log on http://www.unicef.org/worldfitforchildren

      UN Informal Meeting on
      ‘Global Counter-Terrorism Strategy’

      On 4 December 2007, the United Nations General Assembly will convene an informal meeting to discuss ongoing and future activities of Member States and the United Nations system for the implementation of the UN's Global Counter-Terrorism Strategy.

      =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

      Youth Information is published by

      Indian Committee of Youth Organizations (ICYO)

      194-A, Arjun Nagar, Safdarjang Enclave

      New Delhi 110029, India

      Phone: 91 9811729093  / 91 11 26183978 Fax 91 11 26198423

      Email: icyoindia@... / icyo@...

      Web:  www.icyo-india.org

      =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

      Indian Committee of Youth Organizations (ICYO) is a registered non-profit, non-governmental network organization, committed in developing areas of mutual cooperation and understanding among different youth voluntary agencies, youth groups, clubs and individuals working in the field of youth welfare in India.

      ICYO functions as an umbrella organization of youth NGOs in India. It's family consists of
      over 356 organizations spread in 122 districts of 22 states from different corners of India.

      Our goal:
      To improve and extend the youth work and services through Youth Organizations;
      To enhance and demonstrate youth work in the society;
      To promote effective youth programmmes;
      To organize network of civil society organizations working towards the development of youth work;
      To organize seminars, conferences, workshops, trainings;
      To maintain international relation with organizations promoting young people in their programmes and activities

      Affiliation

      Consultative (Roster) Status with ECOSOC, United Nations;
      Consultative Status with Commission on Sustainable Development;
      Full Member of World Assembly of Youth (WAY); Asian Youth Council (AYC);
      Youth for Habitat International Network (YFHIN); CRIN, South Asia Youth
      Environment Network (SAYEN), Affiliate group of ECPAT International, Thailand;
      ATSECE-DELHI, Indian Partner of AIDS Care Watch Campaign;
      Steering Committee member of World Bank's YDP Network;
      Working relation with Indian Association of Parliamentarians (IAPPD);
      International Medical Parliamentarians Organizations (IMPO);
      Asian Forum of Parliamentarians on Population and Development (AFPPD);
      World Youth Foundation, Malaysia.

    • ICYOIndia
      Message 2 of 5 , May 26, 2008
        In this Issue of ICYO-Youth Information:

        In this Issue of ICYO-Youth Information:

        - Voices of Youth: National Youth Peer Convention

        - Ekta Parishad will Organize the Youth Camp

        - Children Festival at Garbhanga Held

        - National Integration Youth Camp Started in Hyderabad

        - Govt of India: Awareness Campaign Against Drug Abuse

        - Our Young People as Agents of Change (Commonwealth Youth Ministers Meeting)

        - Int. Youth Day: Youth and Climate Change: Time for Action

        - Training Workshop for Youth held in Singapore

        - United Nations meets Web 2.0 and ICT Entrepreneurs

        - Ibero-American Convention ‘Youth Rights’ Entered into Force

        - UNESCAP Develops a Toolkit to Help Young Drug Users

        - New MDG Target on Youth Employment

        - YEN Youth Guide Launched on Three Continents

        - Youth Training for Trainers

        - World United through ART

        - Executive Development Programme

        - World Urban Youth Forum

        - Junior8 Summit 2008 to be held in Japan

        - World Youth Congress 2008 in Quebec

        ICYO – Youth Information Newsletter

        Indian Committee of Youth Organizations

        Platform of 356 Youth Organizations in India

        India’s largest network of urban and rural youth

        No. 2008/51

        Voices of Youth: National Youth Peer Convention

        A National youth convention is planned in partnership with UNICEF and other youth organizations in India from 28th to 30th in Bangalore.  The purpose of this convention is to create a Platform to Voice of Youth to fight against HIV and AIDS along with take up issues that affecting young people in the country.  The program is being organized in association with organizations such as ICYO (Indian Committee of Youth Organizations), New Delhi, CARDTS, Bangalore, CYDA Pune and other youth organizations and networks from different parts of India.

        This youth convention will bring together over 400 youth from different parts of the country to reemphasize the importance of youth and community mobilization and explore and bring about a greater understanding of roles and responsibilities of youth in society: how youth can be a strong force for change, both internal (Self) and external (community); how youth can link with other members of society; mobilizing youth for action in the community; services and information needs of youth with a special focus on HIV/AIDS. This will be done through plenary, panel discussions and skill workshops and exhibitions.

        In the Convention the peer educators from all the DISHA programme districts of UNICEF can come together along with peers from youth networks led by other UN agencies (UNFPA, UNDP, UNODC) and non governmental organizations as well as peers from Red Ribbon Clubs supported by the national program on a common platform to share experiences and lessons learnt and answer some critical questions on peer education and

        Aims of the convention

                                1. To bring together peer educators from different parts of the country to reemphasize the importance of youth and community mobilization, and the power of team work with regard to HIV/AIDS

                                2. To explore and bring about a greater understanding of roles and responsibilities of youth in society: how youth can be a strong force for change, both internal (Self) and external (community); how youth can link with other members of society; mobilizing youth for action in the community; services and information needs of youth with a special focus on HIV/AIDS (will be done through plenaries, panel discussions and workshops)

                                3. To provide a platform for young people to voice opinions, exchange ideas and learn from each others’ experiences in working for sexual and reproductive health including HIV/AIDS (done through an exhibit area, a market place)

        The Youth Convention is a further step to the capacity building process as well as towards ensuring a safe and enabling environment for the youth to discuss sexual and reproductive health issues and HIV/AIDS.

        Ekta Parishad will Organize the Youth Camp

        P. V. Rajagopal, president of Ekta Foundation Trust, worries that the poor of that country are being left behind. In his interview in Canadian newspaper during his Canadian speaking tour, he said  "Such conditions breed violence," he said. "The kind of prosperity you see in cities like Bombay, Delhi and Chennai now is being bought at the cost of the poor people."

        He added forty per cent of Indians are landless and 23% live in abject poverty.

        "On one side, you see massive industrialization, steel factories are coming up, mining is happening, the airports are getting bigger and bigger and the Chinese, Japanese and Koreans are all travelling in to invest. But on the other side, there is ancient poverty and mothers selling their children and growing violence."

        "We're trying to train young people to stand up for themselves," Mr. Rajagopal said, Ekta Parishad have launched intense community leadership training programs and work-sharing camps to teach thousands of young people the strategies of non-violent protest and community development.

        A typical camp could bring as many as 4,000 of them together to dredge and rehabilitate a region's irrigation canals, while building their solidarity, confidence and negotiating skills, and teaching them their rights.

        Children Festival at Garbhanga Held

        A one day Children Festival was organized by Parijat Academy on 22nd March, 2008 at Garbhanga to make awareness and promotion  of education for underprivileged  tribal children of Garbhanga area. The literacy rate is very very poor. Children especially girls are required to take care of household works. Garbhanga is 17 kms from Lokhra Chariali and is remote tribal area Assam- Meghalaya border.

        National Integration Youth Camp Started in Hyderabad

        The National Youth Project is conducting National Integration Youth Camp Started in Hyderabad from May 23 to 30. 2008. More than 500 youth from all over India are participating. The participants also organize the ‘all religious prayer’ at five different places in Hyderabad to spread the message of harmony and peace. Dr S. N. Subba Rao, Director of NYP (Chairman, ICYO) is conducting the camp.

        Govt of India: Awareness Campaign Against Drug Abuse

        The Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment has been implementing the Scheme of Prevention of Alcoholism and Substance (Drugs) Abuse through De-addiction Centres, which are working as Integrated Rehabilitation Centre for Addicts. Under the Scheme of Prevention of Alcoholism and Substance (Drug) Abuse is providing financial assistance to Non-Government Organizations for running Counseling Centres and De-addiction centers for drug abuse awareness generation for all categories of people including youth.

        A National Drug Awareness Campaign is launched every year on the occasion of International Day against Illicit Trafficking and drug abuse on 26th June and special camps are organized for making people aware about the ill effects of drug abuse. Similarly, information, education and communication materials have been developed to impart knowledge about drugs through radio, television, newspapers and other mass media.

        Commonwealth Youth Ministers Meeting

        Our Young People as Agents of Change

        27 April 2008. Commonwealth Secretary-General Kamalesh Sharma’s statement to the 7th Commonwealth Youth Ministers Meeting, which is being held in Colombo, Sri Lanka, between 27 and 30 April 2008

        One of the "absolute priorities" for Kamalesh Sharma as Commonwealth Secretary-General is "trying to better young people's lives."

        In his statement to the 7th Commonwealth Youth Ministers Meeting, which is being held in Colombo, Sri Lanka, between 27 and 30 April 2008, Mr Sharma said that neglecting young people is not an option.

        "If today's challenges are to be solved, they will be solved by today's young people," he observed.

        Youth and Climate Change: Time for Action

        - Theme for Int. Youth Day

        This year’s theme of this year’s commemoration is “Youth and Climate
        Change: Time for Action”. The Day provides a great opportunity to rally
        support and get key actors - Governments, non-governmental organizations,
        academic institutions, businesses, and young people - to act on climate
        change. Email your plans so that we can showcase ideas on how partnering
        with Governments, organizations and communities can lead to change.

        Training Workshop for Youth held in Singapore

        The Commonwealth Secretariat organized the Training workshop for youth in partnership with the National Youth Council of Singapore, SEI, and the Tata Energy Research Institute in India. This three-day workshop  held in singapore in late March.

        17 young leaders (from Bangladesh, Brunei Darussalam, India, Malaysia, Maldives, Singapore and Sri Lanka. ) discuss what they can do to reverse climate change.

        The Assistant Director of the National Youth Council of Singapore, Ng Guan Ing, opened the workshop and described it as a timely initiative that would improve youth knowledge of climate change and what they can do to help.

        Mr. Raj K Mishra, Regional Director, Commonwealth Youth Programme (Asia), called upon the youth to take urgent action and to take the lead in their communities.

        “As future leaders of the nation and the world, you have the power to help shape and transform the mindsets of the population-at-large to adopt more climate-friendly lifestyles,” he said.

        United Nations meets Web 2.0 and ICT Entrepreneurs

        The Global Alliance for ICT and Development of the United Nations
        Department of Economic and Social Affairs (UNDESA-GAID) organized an event entitled "United Nations Meets Web 2.0 - New Media, New Entrepreneurs and New ICT Opportunities in Emerging Markets", on 25-26 March 2008 in New York at UN Headquarters.

        This event is second in a series of interactive and action-oriented meetings organized by UNDESA-GAID with ICT leaders, who create new and innovative technologies. The event consisted of a series of policy dialogues and panel sessions showcasing a variety of perspectives on key issues, including the use of technology to drive development and how the new media and content are shaping the landscapes of business and economics in developing countries, as well as presentations on creative financing solutions from a range of well-known investment firms.

        Ibero-American Convention ‘Youth Rights’ Entered into Force

        On 1 March, the Ibero-American Convention on the Rights of Youth (ICRY)
        entered into force. The ICRY is the only international treaty in the world
        that specifically recognizes the rights of young people. It was developed
        and promoted by the Ibero-American Youth Organization, also known by its
        Spanish acronym, OIJ.

        The Ibero-American Convention on the Rights of Youth includes 44 articles
        which establish a series of civil and political rights (such as the right
        to life, to conscious objection, to justice, freedom of thought and religion, freedom of speech, freedom of assembly and association) and of economic, social and cultural rights (including the right to education, to sexual education, to culture and art, to employment, and to shelter). The Convention also includes articles detailing mechanisms for its implementation (participatory processes, ratification, amendments, infringement of the Convention).

        UNESCAP Develops a Toolkit to Help Young Drug Users

        The UN Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (UNESCAP)
        developed the “Toolkit for Building Capacity for Community-based Treatment
        and Continuing Care of Young Drug Users in the Greater Mekong Subregion” at the request of young people.

        The toolkit uses accessible web-based resources and templates and examples from the area to enhance an understanding of the problems young people face regarding substance use and related risks. The toolkit aims to provide “how to” guides for assessment of individual, group and family counselling interventions that can be applied in community or residential settings. For more information, see

        http://www.unescap.org/publications/detail.asp?id=1267.

        New MDG Target on Youth Employment

        A revised MDG monitoring framework, recently adopted, includes a new target on achieving full and productive employment and decent work for all, including women and young people, under Goal 1.  The inclusion of this new target is a major achievement as it establishes the importance of decent and productive work as an effective anti-poverty instrument.

        The previous target on developing decent and productive work for youth under Millennium Development Goal 8 is to be encompassed by the new target. In his 2007 Report of the Work of the Organization (A/62/1), the Secretary-General presented the revised monitoring framework to the General Assembly and indicated that all MDG targets and indicators would be renumbered.

        YEN Youth Guide Launched on Three Continents

        Building on their global work, the YEN’s Youth Consultative Group, with the support of the YEN (Youth Employment Network) Secretariat, has produced a guide: Joining Forces with Young People:

        (Message over 64 KB, truncated)

      • ICYOIndia
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 22, 2008
          ICYO – Youth Information Newsletter

          ICYO – Youth Information Newsletter

          Indian Committee of Youth Organizations

          Platform of 356 Youth Organizations in India

          India’s largest network of urban and rural youth

          No. 2008/57

          Asia-Europe Youth Interfaith Dialogue:

          Mr. Vijay Bharatiya will represent ICYO.

          Text Box:
Vijay Bharatiya

          The Asia-Europe Foundation and the Indonesian Ministries of Foreign Affairs and Religious Affairs and others are going to organize the Second Asia-Europe Youth Interfaith Dialogue in Bandung, West Java, Indonesia from the June 23 – 27, 2008.

          The main objective of the Youth Interfaith Dialogues is to create and foster human networks among young people by encouraging tolerance and mutual acceptance; and to increase initiatives in the field of Asia-Europe Youth co-operation through the development of action-oriented Youth organizations and networks.

          Text Box:
D K Bhagat
During this 5-day event, 100 young representatives of Churches, Faiths and Youth religious organizations and networks, together with guest-speakers and experts in inter-religious dialogue from the 43 ASEM countries and 2 institutions1, will reflect on how religions can assist in facing critical issues that concern our societies.

          ICYO is represent by Mr Vijay Bharatiya in the Dialogue. Mr D. K. Bhagat is attending on behalf of Kendriya Arya Yuvak Parisad, New Delhi.

          UNESCO Asian Youth Forum:

          ICYO nominated Ms Pratiksha from India

          2nd UNESCO Asian Youth Forum will be held from June 26-30, 2008 in Gwangju City, Republic of Korea. The Section for Youth, Sport and Physical Education at UNESCO (YSPE) and the Korean National Commission for UNESCO (KNCU) are co-organizers of this Forum with the theme of Sustainable Community in Asia.

          The objectives of the Asian Youth Forum are to create opportunities for exchange, allowing the participants of the forum to discuss regional issues and their experiences with young people, youth organizations, and relevant partners concerned with youth; to reinforce concrete strategies and initiatives aimed at enhancing youth capacity and their substantial partnership based upon mutual respect for sustainable community in Asia; to promote the UNESCO’s ideal and far-reaching youth cooperation in the Asian region; to review and recommend youth-led pilot projects to implement the theme, “Sustainable Community in Asia.”

          Ms Pratksha will represent the Indian Committee of Youth Organizations (ICYO).

          National Integration Youth started in Kurukshetra, Haryana

          National Youth Project is conducting the National Integration Youth Camp in Kurukshetra from June 21- 27, 2008. 500 youth from all over India are participating.

          =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 2, 2008
            In this Issue of ICYO-Youth Information:

            In this Issue of ICYO-Youth Information:

            -         Youth Camp for Asia’s Future 2008 held in Seoul

            -         Indian Govt to set-up Skill Development Corporation for Youth: PM

            -         WC III: South Asia Regional Preparatory Consultation held

            -         South Asian Children set their agenda for WC III

            -         Youth Plea for More Action to Combat Climate change

            -         Young India to search for role models by rail: Tata Jagriti Yatra 2008

            -         Fourth World Youth Congress held in Quebec

            -         UNFPA re-organization functional

            -         Brief Report of Commonwealth Asia Regional workshop on Respect and Understanding

            -         Up-coming events: list

            -         Acknowledgement of publications and reports received at ICYO secretariat

            ICYO – Youth Information Newsletter

            Indian Committee of Youth Organizations

            Platform of 356 Youth Organizations in India

            India’s largest network of urban and rural youth

            No. 2008/85

            Youth Camp for Asia’s Future 2008 held in Seoul

            AYC President Emphasizes  'One Asia'

            The Asian Youth Camp 2008 with the theme ‘Asia’s Future’ was held from 29 July to 18 August 2008 in Seoul, South Korea and attended by 230 youth from 23 Asian countries including 7 youth from India.

            The camp was organized by the National Council of Youth Organizations and hosted by the Ministry for Health, Welfare and Family Affairs, Govt of Korea in cooperation with Ministry of Foreign affairs and Trade, Republic of Korea and Asian Youth Council.

            “Asia must become unified and share cultural values to gain influence in international society” said Mohamad Khir Toyo, President of the Asian Youth Council (AYC), he further said diversity existing in Asian countries must be treated as an asset and it should be used as a tool to map out the future of Asia.

            Indian Govt to set-up Skill Development Corporation for Youth: Prime Minister

            NEW DELHI: With a view to provide better employment opportunities, the government will set up a special Skill Development Corporation for the youth with active participation of the private sector. Addressing the nation on the occasion of the 62nd Independence Day, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh said, "a Skill Development Corporation will be created by the Government with the active participation of the private sector to give special training to our young men and women, our workers and our technicians".

            Singh said the government has established a new Skill Development Mission, which will work under the supervision of the Prime Minister. Continuing to focus on the education sector, the Prime Minister said the government was implementing several new scholarship schemes for the educational development of children. Schemes for pre-matric and post-matric scholarships for children hailing from SC, ST, OBC and minority families are being implemented, he said adding special scholarships for meritorious students from these communities have also been launched. "Scholarships for overseas studies are being given to SC and ST students.

            National merit-cum means scholarships for children hailing from economically weaker sections and children with disabilities have also been approved," he said. Singh asserted that the government was sincerely implementing most of the recommendations of the Justice Sachar Committee report on social, economic and educational empowerment of the Muslim community. (Economic Times)

            World Congress III against Sexual Exploitation of Children and Adolescents: South Asia Regional Preparatory Consultation held

            The South Asia Regional Preparatory Consultation for the WC III against Sexual Exploitation of Children and Adolescents was held in Katmandu, Nepal on August 27-29, 2008 hosted by the Ministry for Women, Children and Social Welfare, Government of Nepal and South Asia Coordinating Group against Violence against Children (SACG) jointly.

            World Congress III against Sexual Exploitation of Children and Adolescents to be held in Rio de Janerio, Brazil, hosted by Government of Brazil from November 25 to 28, 2008.

            The three day consultation was address the areas on sexual exploitation of children (regional progress and challenges on SAF/SACG priority issues for the region); promote the common understanding on issues; government accountability. The youth presented their recommendations in the Consolation. The consultation also drafted the draft recommendations and urged the government delegate to forward their respective government for endorsement.

            The ECPAT International played the key role in organizing the event as the host of SACG.

            The Consultation was attended by south Asian government officials including Afghanistan, representative of international organizations, representative of prominent NGOs of region and youth representatives.

            Indian Committee of Youth Organizations (ICYO) attended the Consultation and represented by Mr Ravi Narayan, Secretary General.

            South Asian Children set their agenda for WC III

            The eighteen Children and Youth from South Asian countries gathered in from August 24-27, 2008 in Kathmandu, Nepal to participate in Children’ Forum. This forum was organized to set the children and youth recommendations for South Asia Regional Preparatory Consultation for the WC III against Sexual Exploitation of Children and Adolescents.

            Later they presented the recommendations at the opening session as well as during the thematic discussions and in-group discussion.

            Youth Plea for More Action to Combat Climate change

            A new United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) report showcases the voices of young people worldwide on how they view climate change and what they believe are the best means to tackle the issue.

            The publication, launched on August 11, 2008 in New York, was produced entirely by young people between the ages of 16 and 25 worldwide and is a companion to UNDP's Human Development Report (HDR).

            The title, "Two Degrees of Separation Between Hope and Despair," refers to the HDR's warning that temperatures must not rise more than 2 degrees Centigrade above pre-industrial levels, meaning that greenhouse gas emissions must be slashed.

            The report points out every day steps youth can take - such as recycling and conserving electricity.

            The youth version of the HDR highlights the importance of engaging young people to promote "good governance in order to have good citizenship that is well-informed at a very young and early age," Cecilia Ugaz, Acting Director of the UNDP's Human Development Report Office, told reporters at the publication's launch.

            Tata Jagriti Yatra 2008

            Young India to search for role models by rail

            Tata Jagriti Yatra '08 started from Mumbai ( 24th December 2008 - 8th January 2009) is a train journey that will take 350 of India’s highly motivated youth  between the ages of 18-25 on a sixteen day national odyssey, introducing them to unsung heroes of India.

            The aim is to awaken the spirit of entrepreneurship - both social and economic - within India’s youth by exposing them to individuals and institutions that are developing unique solutions to India’s challenges. Through this national event we will inspire them to lead and develop institutions nationally and within their communities.

            According to organizer the Tata Jagriti Yatra '08 aims to showcase inspiring success stories by taking young Indians to meet these “real heroes”.  These role models, located around the country particularly in rural and semi-urban India will demonstrate how social and economic enterprise has succeeded.

            The train journey for eighteen days and will cover the 8,000 kilometers with 13 stopovers. This experience will help them connect with some of their role models,’’ says Mani.    While 75% of the passengers will travel free of cost, 25% will have to pay the passage money of Rs 32,000. About 20% of the travelers will be NRIs

            Fourth World Youth Congress held in Quebec

            The Fourth World Youth Congress "Regénération 2008" aimed to honour the achievements of those who make youth-led development a reality and to supply participants with the skills and support needed to contribute to the achievement of the Millennium Development Goals more effectively. The 4th World Youth Congress held in Québec City from 10 to 21 August 2008 attended by 500 young people from 110 countries.

             The Congress was divided into three main parts. The "Celebration" segment encompassed the opening ceremony, the celebration of International Youth Day and the presentation of the 'Champion of Youth' award to a number of distinguished adults in recognition of their support to youth issues. One of these was Dr. Kandeh Yumkella, Director-General of UNIDO who received the award for pioneering the Mano River Union Youth Employment Programme.

            On International Youth Day, the Congress participants joined together with other youth from Québec for the World Youth Walk. Armed with musical instruments, flags of their countries and posters calling for an end to war, HIV/AIDS and environmental destruction, the colourful procession marched the 7 kilometres.

            The second part of the Congress was a capacity-building segment, in which participants participated in a wide variety of workshops to further their knowledge and skills to assist them in contributing to the achievement of the MDGs. During the final segment of the Congress, delegates participated in action projects around the Province of Québec to put their newly acquired skills into practice.

            UNFPA re-organization functional

            The UN Fund for Population (UNFPA) has recognized itself to face new challenges and new realities.  The regional offices of UNFPA will now be based in the region. Ms. Thorya Obaid, Executive Director of UNFPA in letter to International NGO’s informed that the Asia-pacific Division will be based in Bangkok with two sub-regional offices in Nepal and Fiji. Similarly, East Europe and Central Asia will move to Bratislava, Slovakia and there will be separate Division for Arab States.

            Ms. Nobuko Horibe is the new director of UNFPA’s Asia-Pacific Regional office. Before this appointment, Ms. Horibe had served as UNFPA Representative in Lao DPR and Deputy Director of UNFPA’s Division of Oversight Services.

            Report

            Commonwealth Asia Regional workshop on Respect and Understanding

            33 Youth representatives from 8 countries assembled in Chandigarh, India for a Commonwealth Asia Regional workshop on ‘Respect and understanding’ from August 11 to 14.2008. Over 30 youth representatives including Youth Caucus representatives also participated including Mr Vijay Bharatiya represented Indian Committee of Youth Organizations (ICYO).

            This workshop was organized Commonwealth Youth Programme Asia Centre, Chandigarh in the context of Commonwealth Commission on Respect and Understanding - Civil Paths to Peace.

            Gen. (Retd.) S.F Rodrigues, Governor Punjab inaugurated the workshop by lighting lamp called upon youth to take up challenges. He also narrated about the efforts being undertaking in Punjab for the promotion of values of non-violence and peace among young people.

            Dr.Sudarshan Presents The Gandhian Perspective On Civil Path To Peace

            Keynote speaker at the workshop was Dr.Sudarshan Iyengar, Vice Chancellor of the Gujarat Vidhyapith. He said that commonwealth has embarked on a pious project of promoting Respect and Understanding between different communities and groups, including the faith groups so that fear, intolerance, terror and violence is minimized in the world in general and the member countries particular.

            We cannot expect from this lot of youth to be tolerant. Competition and tolerance do not go together. Success gained out of competition also leads invariably to greed; desire to win again and again. Making his point he said that youth not being homogenous group in any society and there are youth groups that would be working at cross-purposes, said Dr Sudarshan.

            The workshop was designed so as to have interactive dialogue among young. The workshop set the scene by discussing the Respect and Understanding (R & U) its context, rationale, definition & mandate.

            During the discussion human rights perspectives to Respect & Understanding came up sharply. There were country presentations on Inequality, grievances and history, Participation, media and Education and third on Education & young people.

            The youth representatives made it a point that social injustices, unequal distributions of wealth and land disputes were major cause of conflicts in the region. So youth visualized just society where rights of people are recognized. India made a country presentation of Education & young people.

            Up-coming Events

            Title: Int. Conference on RIGHTS AND REALITIES in promoting sexual and reproductive health and rights

            Date: 10 - 11 November 2008,

            Place: Rotterdam, the Netherlands

            Organizer: World Population Foundation and Youth Incentives

            For more information log on www.wpf.org /  www.youthincentives.org

            Title: SAARC 2nd Conference on TB, HIV/AIDS & Respiratory disease

            Date: 15th – 18th December 2008,

            Place: Kathmandu, Nepal

            For more information log on www.saarctb.com.np

            Or Contact: saarctb@...

            Title: World Urban Youth Forum

            Date: 3-7 November2008

            Place: Nanjing, China

            Organizer UN Habitat

            For more information log on

            www.unhabitat.org/content.asp?typeid=19&catid=535&cid=5581.

            Title: 8th IANYS Global Conference on National Youth Service

            Date: 19-22 No

            (Message over 64 KB, truncated)