Call for Nominations-Women Environmental Leaders Strategy Meeting

  • WomensGlobalGreenActionNetwork
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 2, 2005
      Greetings! (Please Feel Free To Pass This Email on)

      Call for Nominations
      Grassroots Women Environmental Leaders Strategy
      Meeting
      Mexico City, Mexico
      March 2006

      We are seeking visionary women from around the world
      who are working for sustainable development and
      environmental justice in their communities. We welcome
      environmental advocates, organizers and entrepreneurs
      to join us at the Women’s Global Green Action
      Network’s Grassroots Women Environmental Leaders
      Strategy Meeting. Our meeting will be held in Mexico
      City, Mexico, March 12-16th, 2006. Our group will also
      have an important presence at the Fourth World Water
      Forum in Mexico City
      (http://www.worldwaterforum.org/home/home.asp), which
      will immediately follow our 3-day strategy meeting.
      Our Mission: Women's Global Green Action Network
      empowers and unites grassroots women advocates,
      entrepreneurs and community leaders around the world
      who are working in the areas of environmental,
      economic and social justice. By providing access to
      communication tools, support services and networking
      capabilities, WGGAN helps women strengthen their
      alliances and leadership abilities in order to develop
      a collective agenda for impacting policy at the local,
      regional and global level.

      The Purpose of the Women’s Global Green Action
      Strategy Meeting:

      In women’s efforts to curb the impacts of
      environmental degradation, they work against powerful,
      entrenched social and economic barriers. Often without
      the privileges of social or economic equity, personal
      safety, or political rights, women around the world
      face significant constraints in exercising influence
      over their living conditions. Their central role in
      managing, preserving and healing their natural
      environment is often ignored or exploited, especially
      those working at the grassroots level, where time and
      resources are especially scarce. Too often, women miss
      out on the opportunity to work in coalition, build a
      collective agenda and meaningfully influence policy.

      In March 2006, Women’s Global Green Action Network
      will convene a group of visionary women environmental
      advocates, organizers and entrepreneurs from around
      the world who are working to reverse these trends.
      During our 3-day meeting, our group will:

      1. Develop a platform of action and set of
      recommendations for creating a global network for
      grassroots women environmental leaders;
      2. Share their experiences, successes and challenges
      working on the “frontlines” in their communities;
      3. Build long-term working relationships and strategic
      alliances;
      4. Help identify the on-the-ground needs of women who
      are working at the community level on sustainability
      and environmental, social and economic justice;

      By joining voices, women grassroots environmental
      leaders can become even more effective and influential
      in promoting the ideas and practices of environmental
      stewardship. In so doing, women attendees will pioneer
      a global movement from this emergent powerbase that
      extends far beyond regional borders.

      Nominations for Participants

      Please nominate women who you view as meeting the
      following criteria:

      • Active in grassroots advocacy, entrepreneurship,
      and/or community organizing around issues of
      environmental justice and/or sustainability
      (Grassroots refers to community-based activism, where
      positive change is created through citizen
      participation in the issues that affect them)
      • Recognized by her peers as a leader in her issue
      area
      • Skilled in building networks, and forging
      partnerships within her community (She is in contact
      with several other grassroots organizations in her
      daily work)
      • Willing and able to travel to Mexico City, Mexico
      from 12-19 March 2006 and has a passport that is valid
      through October, 2006.
      Funding
      Every attempt will be made to cover the costs for
      participants. However, if your nominee can identify a
      grant or other source of funding (ie. NGO, government,
      church etc.), it is greatly appreciated. We expect
      that the total cost without airfare will be US$700 per
      person.

      Language
      Given that the official languages of the Mexico 2006
      4th World Water Forum are English and Spanish, your
      nominee will need to speak at least one of these
      languages fluently.

      Selection Process
      To ensure that the conference enjoys a broad and
      balanced representation, we will select women to
      represent key regions around the world, areas of
      expertise and ages.

      Other ways to get involved:
      If you would not like to nominate someone for our
      Mexico meeting but would like to get involved in other
      ways, please consider the following opportunities to
      contribute:
      -Make a financial contribution to the Women’s Global
      Green Action Network
      -Host a houseparty to raise funds for our women
      participants
      -Donate your time and skills by joining one of our
      planning committees
      For more information about any of these options,
      please email melinda@....

      If you know of a woman who should be connected to
      WGGAN but is not able to attend the Mexico Strategy
      Meeting, please email her contacts and your contacts
      to info@.... Please include a brief summary of
      her work. Thank you!

      Joint Application:
      If you would like to nominate a woman, please fill out
      the form below jointly with your nominee and send to
      info@.... Please make the subject of your email:
      ATTN: WGGAN Strategy Session, 2006.
      All nominations must be received by midnight of 30
      November 2005.

      For Nominator

      As the nominator, please provide your own contact
      information:
      Name:
      Postal Address:
      City: State/Province:
      Zip Code/ Country Code
      Country
      Organization/Affiliation (if any):
      Email Address:

      1. Please briefly describe the nominees work in
      sustainable development and/or environmental justice
      qualifying her for the Strategy Meeting.

      2. In what ways does your nominee fulfill the criteria
      listed above?

      3. What is your relationship to the nominee? Why do
      you believe she should represent her region at the
      Strategy Session? What impact has she had in her
      community?

      For Nominee

      As Nominee, please provide your contact information:
      Name:
      Postal Address:
      City: State/Province:
      Zip Code/ Country Code
      Country
      Organization/Affiliation (if any):
      Email Address:

      1. Briefly describe your work in sustainable
      development and/or environmental justice.

      2. In what ways have you taken leadership in your
      community? In what ways do you support other women
      working alongside you?

      3. What tools or programs do you envision as needed to
      strengthen the efforts of grassroots women working to
      protect the environment?

      4. Please provide the names and contacts of 5-10
      grassroots organizations or networks that you work
      with on a regular basis. Please include a brief
      explanation of your relationship with each group.

      5. Please let us know if you will be able to fund all
      or part of you costs in Mexico (US$700-- includes
      meals and housing).

      Redwood Mary (Mary Rose Kaczorowski)
      Co-Founder
      WOMENS GLOBAL GREEN ACTION NETWORK
      P.O. Box 14146
      Berkeley CA 94712
      mobile: 510-459-9448
      email:
      redwoodmary@...
      mary@...
      www.wggan.org (website under construction)
      Empowering women grassroots environmental leaders around the globe

      http://mail.yahoo.com