[women-csd] mountain women

  • Jeannette Gurung
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 5, 2000
      I have become aware of this Caucus only recently, and so have missed
      many opportunities to participate in discussions. I am part of a global
      network of several women who are working in the mountain areas of the
      world, and concerned about the gender blindness of mountain development
      and its representation in international fora. We are looking for ways
      to get mountain women's interests represented in meetings such as the
      CSD meetings, as well as Beijing Plus 5. 2002 has been declared by the
      UN as the International Year of the Mountains, and we would like to be
      ready to make use of such a global forum as well.

      I myself am a forester now working in gender and organisational change
      for sustainable development in mountain-related organisations through
      my employment at ICIMOD (International Centre for Integrated Mountain
      Development) in Kathmandu, Nepal. I have many years of experience in
      agriculture, forestry and other land use related sectors in Nepal and
      other countries of the Hindu Kush Himalayan region. Although I realise
      that my offer may be too late, I wonder if there is any need for
      contributions to position papers dealing with these subjects. As ICIMOD
      has consultative status with the U.N. , I also wonder if there would be
      a way for us to contribute to the meetings in APril. ANy thoughts on
      this are most welcome.