FW: Conference announcement

  • minush@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 2, 2002
      Fowarding for your interest - with apologies for cross postings - Minu
      _______________________________

      Subj: FW: Conference announcement--please distribute
      Date: 12/2/2002 6:35:56 AM Eastern Standard Time
      From: Lin McDevitt-Pugh <L.McDevitt-Pugh@...>
      To: KNOWHOWCONF@...
      Sent from the Internet (Details)

      Friday, October 3<Sunday, October 5, 2003

      THEMES: The crises we face daily and over time<poverty, dislocation,
      marginalization, delegitimation, attack, or disenfranchisement<have
      compelled us, in our anti-discriminatory work, to imagine as well as
      enact
      challenges to dominant policies and practices. We have learned about,
      debated, and modified these challenges inside and outside our
      institutions,
      our neighborhoods, our conference halls, and our homes. And we have
      encountered them in diverse and often separate ways, through
      single-issue or
      multi-issue politics that open categories such as gender, race,
      citizenship,
      sexuality, class, religion, and nation to mutual redefinition.

      It is urgent, particularly at this moment in our histories, to review
      and
      re-imagine our diverse and separate engagements. This conference
      invites
      you<artists, scholars, community organizers, educators, policy-makers,
      lawmakers, students, and people who live in more than one of these
      identities. Are we content with divisions such as theorist vs.
      activist,
      inside vs. outside our institutions (educational, legal, political),
      socio-political work vs. intellectual work? It welcomes you to argue
      whether we have already been practicing across such divisions as well as
      across local, national, and international borders. It asks you to
      analyze
      how and why we have created/create such collaborations. It seeks to
      open up
      for discussion how feminisms, and your interpretations of them,
      contribute
      to such collaborations. And it supports conversations on how
      sustainable
      forms of feminisms, through various generations, can tackle the needs of
      our
      times.

      This conference invites proposals from people who have already engaged
      one
      another closely and from those who wish to dialogue for the first time,
      across the various categories mentioned above.

      GOALS:
      *To investigate what legacies we rely upon, where we come from, whether
      there are unexplored connections, and how we can build new templates of
      mutually sustainable theorizing and action.
      *To imagine what the present and future prospects are for
      trans-categorical
      collaboration that materially and conceptually redefines our work to
      address
      the crises of our times, through our acts of scholarship and programming
      objectives.

      Some guiding QUESTIONS:
      *From your perspective, what are the relationships between feminist
      theory
      and practice?
      *Does it serve our purposes/goals to recognize or deny that practice is
      form of theorizing and vice versa?
      *Do historical contexts, economic, or other geopolitical relations
      emphasize
      or suppress the need for such collaborations? And how are such
      collaborations affected by perceived differences of culture, class,
      religion, nation, gender, age, ability?
      *Are we able or even willing to translate across perceived differences
      or do
      we accentuate our separate spheres, and why?
      *What are the factors that facilitate as well as obstruct
      collaborations?
      *How does your work engage knowledge that circulates as ³academic
      theory,²
      ³action research,² or ³public scholarship²?
      * Is ³activism² different from ³action²?
      * Can transformation occur in both theory and practice?
      *How do our agreements and disagreements shape policies and practices in
      women¹s, feminist, gender, and sexuality work?

      Possible ISSUES (you are welcome to propose others):
      * Institutional structures, e.g., social work organizations, liberal
      arts
      colleges, research universities, legislatures, economic and cultural
      policy
      organizations.
      * Immigration and migration
      * Cultural work and art activism for social change
      * Global capitalism and labor organizing: sweatshops; service-workers in
      global cities; unionization
      * Structural adjustment policies and state sovereignty
      * Pan-indigenous organizing
      * Apartheid and ethnic cleansing
      * Health in relation to poverty, social welfare, environmental racism,
      HIV/AIDS prevention work
      * Human rights advocacy
      * Systemic violence: economic, political, military, terrorist, sexual,
      etc.
      * Reproductive politics
      * Redefining sex: cosmetic genital surgery on intersex infants;
      sex-worker
      organizing; intersex and transsexual civil rights
      * Bodily and genital mutilation
      * Tourism
      * Prison activisms
      * Education and curricular transformations
      * Autonomous organizing by women and sexual minorities, including
      two-spirit, intersex, transgender, bisexual, lesbian, and gay people.

      A volume of selected papers from this conference is planned for
      publication.

      FORMATS:
      The conference will feature a variety of roundtables, workshops,
      discussant
      panels, plenaries, and performances. Creative submissions are
      encouraged.

      DEADLINES:
      All proposals, e-mail or otherwise, MUST reach Macalester College by
      Friday,
      February 14, 2003. Please send a 1000-word description, with title, of
      paper or 2000-word panel, roundtable, or workshop. In each case,
      include
      names of participants, affiliation, and current contact information. In
      each case, please also submit a 50-word abstract (strict word-limits for
      all
      of the above).

      NOTE: A small stipend is available to enable travel for small-budget
      groups/individuals, such as non-profit organizations and volunteers in
      informal community social-work groups. Along with your proposal, please
      submit a rationale demonstrating relevance of issue and need for the
      funds,
      also by Friday, February 14, 2003.

      All decisions of selected participants and stipends will be announced by
      Monday, March 11, 2003.

      All full-length submissions, e-mail or otherwise, MUST reach Macalester
      College by Friday, May 9, 2003, for full paper, if submitting for
      consideration of publication. Maximum length of essay: 5000 words.

      The conference website will appear soon at www.macalester.edu/wgs and
      will
      be updated every month. Visit the Macalester WGS website for
      information
      about the program and its initiatives.

      For other details, please contact Sonita Sarker (sarker@...)
      or
      Scott Morgensen (morgensen@...). All proposals and
      submissions
      must be addressed to either Sonita or Scott at their e-mail addresses or
      their postal address: Women¹s and Gender Studies, Macalester College,
      1600
      Grand Avenue, St. Paul, MN 55105, USA.