Two Debates: Civil Society @ Jo'burg / Summit Outcomes: Towards Fair Wealth?

  • Jan Kowalzig
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 3, 2002
      Dear Friends and Colleagues,

      with the World Summit coming to its close, the Heinrich Boell Foundation
      plans two "closing" events to evaluate Civil Society participation at
      the summit and the results of the World Summit. You are cordially
      invited to attend either or both of these events.

      CIVIL SOCIETY ON THE SUMMIT - WHERE DO WE GO FROM HERE?
      September 4
      14h00-16h00
      Boell Forum, Global People's Forum/NASREC

      The World Summit has seen an unprecedented participation of civil
      society organisations from all regions. On the other hand, the
      geographic dispersion of civil society over different venues and the
      lack of strategic coordination in the lead-up to the Summit have lead to
      criticism that the civil society's showing at the Summit was
      disappointing and less effective than it could have been. The Heinrich
      Boell Foundation has invited five discussants from different sectors of
      the international NGO community to share and discuss their observations
      on how civil society did in Jo'burg and where we should go from here. We
      are looking forward to a fruitful discussion. Details at
      http://www.worldsummit2002.org/?boell@wssd/wheredowego.htm

      THE SUMMIT: A CONTRIBUTION TO FAIRNESS IN A FRAGILE WORLD?
      September 4
      18h15-19h45
      Ubuntu Village

      The Jo'burg Memo provided a critical analysis of the 10 years since Rio,
      its merits and failures. It developed a Johannesburg Agenda for fairness
      in a fragile world, and presented a set of proposals for this Summit and
      the years ahead. Now, as the summit has come to an end, we want to
      discuss the outcomes of the summit from the perspective presented in the
      Jo'burg Memo. Did the summit strengthen citizens and livelihood rights?
      How did it contribute to fairness between the globalised rich and the
      localised poor? Did we advance towards "Fair wealth"? Details at
      http://www.worldsummit2002.org/?boell@wssd/memoubuntu.htm

      Regards,
      Jan Kowalzig
      Heinrich Boell Foundation
      http://www.worldsummit2002.org
      http://www.joburgmemo.org

      What's on in Jo'burg: Update on the negotiations at
      http://www.worldsummit2002.org/?guide/whatson.htm