I'd like to make something happen this summer

  • Don Lovelace
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 27, 2006
      Geetings:

      My thought to is hand out thousands(yes THOUSANDS!) of FSP flyers
      this summer. There is a captive audience available, thanks to Darien
      Lake concert traffic.

      I was a Police Officer with the Village of Corfu. Corfu is the
      Village on the way to Darien Lake at the intersection of routes 33 &
      77. I have personally experienced the amount of traffic going to and
      leaving from Darien Lake when they host a concert. I live "right
      around the corner", about three miles from I90(thruway) exit 48a.

      Darien Lake traffic is usually backed up from the thruway exit to
      the venue. That's about 5 miles of stand still traffic.

      With enough volunteers we ought to be able to hand a FSP flyer to
      just about every vehicle waiting in line.

      There are at least two possibile senarios to go about this. Each
      one involves setting up a small "booth" or base of operation.

      The first is to set up at the intersection of rts. 5 & 77. There is
      a vacant lot on the sw corner that's been for sale forever. Usually
      used by someone in a pickup truck selling produce or shrimp or
      something.

      The second is at the intersection of rts. 33 & 77. I know the guy
      who owns the property/building on the nw corner and If he hasn't
      sold it yet, would probably allow us to set up there (restroom).

      From this (or these, if we get enough help) booths we could walk up
      and down the highway handing out flyers. We wouldn't be interfering
      with traffic as they are sitting still anyway and we would be
      introducing them to the FSP.

      I will also volunteer to travel the route the next day to collect
      any discarded FSP materials to ensure good community relations.
      (note to self: check out NYS adopt a highway program. We might be
      able to get a "free" sign ;-D from the state to advertise the FSP)

      If you guys feel as though this is a wothwhile project, let's get
      together and go look the area over.

      I've lived in this town for about fifty years and pretty much know
      the ins and outs. So bring on the questions.

      I'll be right here listening for your thoughts.

      Don
    • Jason Sorens
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 30, 2006
        Interesting idea, Don. Last summer we had a table at one of the Darien
        Lake concerts and handed out hundreds of flyers, bumper stickers, and
        matchbooks. My only concern about distributing flyers to stopped traffic
        is that some people might either consider it a nuisance or be afraid to
        roll down their windows to take a flyer. This kind of appeal is also
        untargeted - in other words, only a small percentage of those people are
        likely to be liberty-loving, and only a small percentage of those would be
        willing to participate in the FSP. On the upside, there isn't much
        financial outlay for something like that. If we had an event to go along
        with it, something we could hold for local people to attend, that might
        make something like this more worthwhile.

        Jason
      • Don Lovelace
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 31, 2006
          Ok
          I'm still going to look into some sort of signage for along the
          route.

          "Liberty in our lifetime" is ok, but I don't think everyone
          understands what "liberty" is.
          The msg. needs to be targeted like some of the flyers Keith and
          Steve sent me . Reduce your taxes, end victimless crime laws and
          such would probably catch someones eye.

          The Town Board of Pembroke are real pricks about signs. I guess they
          are pricks about everything. For example: election was on a tues.,
          on wed, the very next day, they voted themselves a raise. Now that's
          balls.

          Don

          --- In wnyfsp@yahoogroups.com, Jason Sorens <jsorens@b...> wrote:

          > Interesting idea, Don. Last summer we had a table at one of the
          Darien
          > Lake concerts and handed out hundreds of flyers, bumper stickers,
          and
          > matchbooks. My only concern about distributing flyers to stopped
          traffic
          > is that some people might either consider it a nuisance or be
          afraid to
          > roll down their windows to take a flyer. This kind of appeal is
          also
          > untargeted - in other words, only a small percentage of those
          people are
          > likely to be liberty-loving, and only a small percentage of those
          would be
          > willing to participate in the FSP. On the upside, there isn't much
          > financial outlay for something like that. If we had an event to go
          along
          > with it, something we could hold for local people to attend, that
          might
          > make something like this more worthwhile.
          >
          > Jason

        • barbara hughes
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 1, 2006
            don
             be interested in your table idea,not much for walking. perspective time/date? concert days, or maby opening weekend.
             by the way im vbe75 on the message board.

            --- In wnyfsp@yahoogroups.com, Jason Sorens wrote:

            > Interesting idea, Don. Last summer we had a table at one of the
            Darien
            > Lake concerts and handed out hundreds of flyers, bumper stickers,
            and
            > matchbooks. My only concern about distributing flyers to stopped
            traffic
            > is that some people might either consider it a nuisance or be
            afraid to
            > roll down their windows to take a flyer. This kind of appeal is
            also
            > untargeted - in other words, only a small percentage of those
            people are
            > likely to be liberty-loving, and only a small percentage of those
            would be
            > willing to participate in the FSP. On the upside, there isn't much
            > financial outlay for something like that. If we had an event to go
            along
            > with it, something we could hold for local people to attend, that
            might
            > make something like this more worthwhile.
            >
            > Jason

            Yahoo! Groups Links

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • Don Lovelace
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 2, 2006
              Barbara:

              Thanks for your interest!

              I have signed up at darien lake web site to be notified about the
              concert schedule. The schedule isn't posted yet.

              I need to get in touch with the owner of the building I was refering
              to in my previous post(at rts. 33 & 77). To see how thing are going
              with him.

              There is a railroad bridge over rt. 77, that could use a nice FSP
              sign hanging over it. I think our sign would look better than the
              graffiti that's there now.

              Any ideas or thoughts you or any one else can come up with, please
              share with the rest of us.

              I tend to be a procrastinator, thinking "oh we have plenty of time
              for this". Then I run around at the last minute putting out fires.
              So it would be nice to work on a project that is planned out for a
              change.

              Nice to "meet" you vbe75.

              Don

              --- In wnyfsp@yahoogroups.com, barbara hughes