280validForms: hating#v -> hate#v hat#v

  • beata_b_bk
    May 24, 2005
      Hi, Jason and everybody,

      I wonder if the following is the intended behaviour:

      query with validForms(hating#v)
      returns
      hate#v hat#v

      Now, there happens to be a verb "hat" (put on or wear a hat); however,
      hating cannot be its -ing form - should be hatting, as in patting,
      hitting, etc.

      This creates a problem for me, since I am defaulting to the last
      element for the base form. This idea derives from the noun pattern:
      years#n -> years#n year#n
      where the first member is the actual full form, and not the best guess
      for the base form.

      WordNet online produces the page for "hate" when queried on "hating".
      It could be that the "hate" version just happens to be first in line...

      Similar problems surface up for:
      dotes#v -> dote#v dot#v
      tapes#v -> tape#v tap#v
      dines#v -> dine#v din#v