RE: [wmlprogramming] show russian letters?

  • Alex Kriegel
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 30, 2000
      Ivo,

      Set encoding iso-8859-5 at the header level (for Bulgarian,Serbian,Ukranian
      etc), for Russian koi-8-r or iso-8859-5
      And, of course, the phone has to have support for the characters.

      Alex Kriegel
      Psion Teklogix International Inc.
      www.psion-teklogix.com

      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 1, 2000
        Hello, Ivo!

        At the moment almost every Russian wap site uses Unicode tables, using
        references to the table's cells.

        The phrase 'Welcome to my page' would look like this:

        Добро
        пожаловат�
        44c; на мою
        страницу

        The side effect of using the Unicode table (0400-04FF) is that each symbol
        uses more bytes and as a result the amount of information displayed per deck
        is considerably less than using Latin 1. For example the length of 1 SMS
        message, written in Russian is 80 characters only (instead of 160 in Latin).

        Thus a number of Russian sites provide the user with 3 options:
        1. Russian
        2. English
        3. Transliteration

        The last option is for those, who have old 'user agents' (phones), not
        supporting Cyrillic alphabet. The phrase 'Welcome to my page' using option
        #3 would be 'Dobro pozhalovat na moyu stranitsu'

        Best regards,
        Vyacheslav Chichikin

        <?xml version="1.0"?>
        <!DOCTYPE wml PUBLIC "-//WAPFORUM//DTD WML 1.1//EN"
        "http://www.wapforum.org/DTD/wml_1.1.xml">
        <wml>
        <card id="Card1" title="Language">
        Welcome to my page
        Добро
        пожаловат�
        44c; на мою
        страницу
        Dobro pozhalovat na moyu stranitsu
        </card>
        </wml>

        PS. I also tried using Ericsson WapIDE SDK v2.1, setting input encoding as
        System default (cp 1251) and Unicode as the output one. As far as I remember
        it didn't lead to 100% correct representation in all emulators.