RE: [wmlprogramming] A few questions on WAPl

  • Peter Roxburgh
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 1, 2000
      Chris

      >That's true and will be true also with the 3G. The bandwidth of UMTS is up
      >to 2 Mbit, but in practice it will be something between 64 kbit - 384 kbit
      >and even less.
      >Other question is that how much we really need bandwidth to achieve
      >acceptable speed of service.
      >Before WAP supports streaming media, multi-color images, WTA based
      >applications etc. >50 kbit/s is more that we need.

      If WAP was to cease to evolve I'm sure that 50 kb/s would be more than
      adequate. However, streaming video, Java games play and a multitude of other
      services already exist; we can't get them in Europe until our networks
      undergo a quantum leap in throughput. In short the networks are playing a
      game of 'catch-up' and they've only just realised they're playing the game.

      Peter Roxburgh
      Mobile Solutions Developer
      peter.roxburgh@...
      http://www.securetrading.com