[wmlprogramming] passwords

  • David Martin
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 31, 2000
      A point someone raised with me recently was the way in which passwords were
      used with WAP phones. They had very little previous experience with WAP, but
      have mobile phone experience. The point was that when they were entering a
      password from the keypad, they often lost track of what letters they had
      inputed because only *'s appeared on the screen.

      Have any thoughts or ideas on this subject come up before?

      David.

      http://profiles.msn.com
    • Nigel Wade
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 31, 2000
        seems to me the only choice is to choose text rather than password as the
        input type.

        either that or choose smaller password (s)

        nigel@...
        http://www.nigelwade.com ( 30/08/00 )

        > A point someone raised with me recently was the way in which passwords
        were
        > used with WAP phones. They had very little previous experience with WAP,
        but
        > have mobile phone experience. The point was that when they were entering a
        > password from the keypad, they often lost track of what letters they had
        > inputed because only *'s appeared on the screen.
        >
        > Have any thoughts or ideas on this subject come up before?
        >
        > David.

        > http://profiles.msn.com
        >

        > Please read the FAQ before you ask questions:
        > http://wap.colorline.no/wap-faq/

      • David Martin
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 31, 2000
          From a logical point of view that(text instead of password) would seem to be
          the best choice, but you would be surprised how many people would be against
          that. Users, especially ones that have been using the internet, are very
          keen on protecting their passwords and don't want to have them shown on a
          screen (even with their hands cupping the phone to block anyone else's view
          :)).

          Apart from that option, i can only think of three other ways and all have
          their drawbacks.

          1. get users to use numeric passwords
          2. Use passwords the same way that those 1-800 numbers use the letters on
          the button, ie., press the 2 button for either a, b or c.
          3. When the password is being recorded in teh database, only record the
          number that is pressed, so that if someone enters no. 2 three times to
          represent 'c', that is still only recognised as one entry of "2"

          I know this is more of a design problem than a programing one, but I thihnk
          the closer that design and programming is linked then the better all round

          David.

          >From: "Nigel Wade" <nigel@...>
          >To: <wmlprogramming@egroups.com>
          >Subject: Re: [wmlprogramming] passwords
          >Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 15:55:34 +0300
          >
          >seems to me the only choice is to choose text rather than password as the
          >input type.
          >
          >either that or choose smaller password (s)
          >

          >nigel@...
          >http://www.nigelwade.com ( 30/08/00 )

        • Iain Campbell
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 31, 2000
            Would it be possible to add a line of numbers under the text box?
            This would give them and idea of which letter of the word is being typed.

            Jon (using Iains account)

            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 1, 2000
              Use PIN numbers instead, and set the test formatting to be numeric only -
              problem solved

              James.