Re: [wmlprogramming] WURFL and Google Glass

  • Richard Uren
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 2 9:17 PM
      Hey Luca,

      Its pretty exciting. Can't wait to see what the future holds.
      We've also tracked the XE7 variation as well (as of yesterday).

      Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.0.4; en-us; Glass 1 Build/IMM76L; XE7) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30

      Cheers
      Richard

      --

      Mobile : +61 414 708 406 | USA : +1 (415) 871 0445 | AU : +61 3 9005 8540
    • casays
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 4 6:22 AM
        > Now the question is: is_google_glass anyone?

        Difficult to answer such a question without some more information:

        1) Do you have any idea of the capabilities of Google Glass?

        2) If yes, can "is_google_glass" become a virtual attribute (derived from the capabilities themselves)?

        3) In any case, other firms already have or are planning to introduce similar devices or head-mounted displays. It might be better then to introduce a more abstract device type attribute (similar to is_tablet, is_smarttv, is_console, etc) than the firm-specific is_google_glass.

        Which by association of ideas brings me to the following questions:

        4) Apart from the virtual attributes, is there a fundamental reason why the capability lists at http://www.scientiamobile.com/wurflCapability and at http://wurfl.sourceforge.net/help_doc.php differ?

        5) There are other devices which are not by themselves wireless devices or mobile phones, but do have an embedded Web browser: iPod and Samsung Galaxy Player are the most prominent, but things like car dahsboard browsers are slowly creeping out of labs. No, I do not have a need to support such information -- my point is more to know whether anybody out there is already having to contend with them.

        E.Casais
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 4 7:39 AM

          Thank you for your insight, Eduardo. So, what do you suggest?

          is_glasses? is_wearable_on_head?

          also:

          > 4) Apart from the virtual attributes, is there a fundamental reason why the capability
          > lists at http://www.scientiamobile.com/wurflCapability and at http://wurfl.sourceforge.net/help_doc.php differ?

          because we have done a crappy job at reconciling the two :(  but we are working on it.

          Luca

          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 4 7:47 AM
            --- In wmlprogramming@yahoogroups.com, Luca Passani <luca.passani@...> wrote:

            > Thank you for your insight, Eduardo. So, what do you suggest?
            >
            > is_glasses? is_wearable_on_head?

            In the absence of definite information about their mode of operation that would distinguish glasses from other similar devices, I suspect that something like is_hmd (or is_headedmounteddisplay, or whatever you choose) probably would encompass Google glasses and future i-Glasses.

            E.Casais
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 4 7:50 AM
               is_hmd (or is_headedmounteddisplay, or whatever you choose)

              right. We will introduce the capability with a secret name and adjust along the way :)

              Luca

              On Thu, Jul 4, 2013 at 4:47 PM, casays <casays@...> wrote:

              --- In wmlprogramming@yahoogroups.com, Luca Passani <luca.passani@...> wrote:

              > Thank you for your insight, Eduardo. So, what do you suggest?
              >
              > is_glasses? is_wearable_on_head?

              In the absence of definite information about their mode of operation that would distinguish glasses from other similar devices, I suspect that something like is_hmd (or is_headedmounteddisplay, or whatever you choose) probably would encompass Google glasses and future i-Glasses.

              E.Casais

              <*> Your email settings:
                  Individual Email | Traditional

              <*> To change settings online go to: