Re: [wmlprogramming] Hear! Hear! Version 1.4 of all WURFL APIs are here!

    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 4 5:22 AM
      On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 3:31 AM, Boris Folgmann <boris@...> wrote:
      Hi Luca,

      Luca Passani schrieb/wrote:
      > Of particular importance the High-Performance vs High-Accuracy
      > configuration with which APIs can be fine-tuned to better address use in
      > mixed web/mobile context.

      How do I choose one of these modes? I did not find something about this in
      your blog post.

      Hi Boris. You are of course right. We will update the respective documentations and FAQ to provide detailed information about this. The way to achieve this is slightly different across platforms (same old question about whether we should impose a "WURFL way" across platforms or adhere as much as possible to something that feels native). Stay tuned.

      You mentioned in your blog post thatdesktop browsers are not accurately
      matched in HP mode. And what does this mean for mobile device detection? Is
      this always acurate?

      yes. In practice, we apply some heuristics to determine whether a UA is absolutely, positively 100% Desktop. In that case, matchers are bypassed and "generic_web_browser" is what you get.
      Certain Desktop web browsers (like Opera which is installed on all kind of funny devices, with several patternless incarnations of its UA strings) still require the matchers, which is why yoiu'll get opera_11 .
      also in HP mode...

      Luca

      cu,
             boris