Hear! Hear! Version 1.4 of all WURFL APIs are here!

    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 1, 2012

      People of WURFL, it is with great pleasure that we announce that today ScientiaMobile is officially launching version 1.4 of all our WURFL APIs.

      Version 1.4 represents a vast improvement over previous versions:

      - improved logic for popular families of devices:  Android, iOS, Widows Phone, Series 40 Ovi Browser

      - improved speed and memory consumption

      - improved performance for mixed desktop/mobile traffic.

      - behavior of all APIs has been harmonized

      - removal of web patch

      - Introduction of High-Performance vs High-Accuracy desktop detection.

      All downloads available at the usual place (http://wurfl.sourceforge.net/). Please observe that the WURFL website has been totally redesigned.
      Much more modern look. The previous one was so 1999.

      Enjoy

      ScientiaMobile Team

    • Boris Folgmann
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 2, 2012
        Congratulations! Great stuff!!
        The website relaunch was overdue. ;-)

        --
        Dipl.-Inf. Boris Folgmann

        TeamForge GmbH http://www.teamforge.com
        Friedrichstrasse 7 Management board: Dipl.-Inf. Boris Folgmann
        71546 Aspach Register: Amtsgericht Stuttgart, HRB 271778
        Germany VAT Reg.No.: DE813818959
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 2, 2012
          I know, it was one of the hundreds urgent things on the table when you start a company. As you can see, though, things are taking shape. The merit goes to the awesome ScientiaMobile team.

          One aspect that should NOT go unnoticed is the fact that all 1.4 APIs (DB, Java, PHP and .NET) now behave the same. The old versions had diverged in consistent ways. Reconciliation wasn't as simple as some might assume, but we can say that Standard WURFL now looks more like a platform than it ever did in the past.

          Of particular importance the High-Performance vs High-Accuracy configuration with which APIs can be fine-tuned to better address use in mixed web/mobile context.

          Finally, we also created a WURFL C++ API. That API will not be released publicly (either as open-source or in binary format), but will be sold commercially to enterprise customers who need raw speed. Those interested will need to contact ScientiaMobile for licensing options.

          Thanks

          Luca

          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 4, 2012
            Hi Luca,

            Luca Passani schrieb/wrote:
            > Of particular importance the High-Performance vs High-Accuracy
            > configuration with which APIs can be fine-tuned to better address use in
            > mixed web/mobile context.

            How do I choose one of these modes? I did not find something about this in
            your blog post.

            You mentioned in your blog post thatdesktop browsers are not accurately
            matched in HP mode. And what does this mean for mobile device detection? Is
            this always acurate?

            cu,
            boris
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 4, 2012
              On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 3:31 AM, Boris Folgmann <boris@...> wrote:
              Hi Luca,

              Luca Passani schrieb/wrote:
              > Of particular importance the High-Performance vs High-Accuracy
              > configuration with which APIs can be fine-tuned to better address use in
              > mixed web/mobile context.

              How do I choose one of these modes? I did not find something about this in
              your blog post.

              Hi Boris. You are of course right. We will update the respective documentations and FAQ to provide detailed information about this. The way to achieve this is slightly different across platforms (same old question about whether we should impose a "WURFL way" across platforms or adhere as much as possible to something that feels native). Stay tuned.

              You mentioned in your blog post thatdesktop browsers are not accurately
              matched in HP mode. And what does this mean for mobile device detection? Is
              this always acurate?

              yes. In practice, we apply some heuristics to determine whether a UA is absolutely, positively 100% Desktop. In that case, matchers are bypassed and "generic_web_browser" is what you get.
              Certain Desktop web browsers (like Opera which is installed on all kind of funny devices, with several patternless incarnations of its UA strings) still require the matchers, which is why yoiu'll get opera_11 .
              also in HP mode...

              Luca

              cu,
                     boris