UserAgentUtils - isDesktopBrowser()

  • sanchik@sbcglobal.net
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 5, 2011
      Hello,

      I'm quite new to wurfl. My objective is to implement wurfl in our mobile application. I'm using latest JAVA API with latest web_browser_patch.xml file. (don't see how this patch is affecting anything)
      One of my task is to determine if upcoming request came from desktop browser.

      I'm using UserAgentUtils.isDesktopBrowser() passing in UA string.
      Results I'm getting are not correct. What am I doing wrong here?
      Does UA string come from httprequest or getUserAgent()?

      Thank you in advance,
      Alex.
    • Steve Kamerman

        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 10, 2011
          Hi Steve,

          Thank you for your prompt response.
          If I'm reading your response correctly, you are suggesting not to use
          UserAgentUtils.isDesktopBrowser() at all and based my decision on the
          is_wireless_device property and/or is_tablet property ,otherwise Desktop. Is that correct?

          Thanks again,
          Alex.
          --- In wmlprogramming@yahoogroups.com, Steve Kamerman <stevekamerman@...> wrote:

          > Hi Alex,
          >
          > Please see the Java API example, available from the same place as the API.
          > You will need to detect the device just like in the example, then check its
          > is_wireless_device property and/or is_tablet property to determine if the
          > device is mobile (not a desktop browser).
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > Steve
          >
          > On Wed, Oct 5, 2011 at 2:33 PM, sanchik@... <sanchik@...
          > > wrote:
          >
          > > **
          > >

          > > Hello,
          > >
          > > I'm quite new to wurfl. My objective is to implement wurfl in our mobile
          > > application. I'm using latest JAVA API with latest web_browser_patch.xml
          > > file. (don't see how this patch is affecting anything)
          > > One of my task is to determine if upcoming request came from desktop
          > > browser.
          > >
          > > I'm using UserAgentUtils.isDesktopBrowser() passing in UA string.
          > > Results I'm getting are not correct. What am I doing wrong here?
          > > Does UA string come from httprequest or getUserAgent()?
          > >
          > > Thank you in advance,
          > > Alex.

        • Steve Kamerman
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 13, 2011
            Hi Alex,

            Correct, you should use the WURFL capabilities.  isDesktopBrowser() is used internally, but the final decision is made in is_wireless_device and is_tablet.

            Thanks,

            Steve