BIGGEST ANNOUNCEMENT EVER: ScientiaMobile Open For Business

    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 6, 2011
      Hi everyone, Luca and Steve here.

      We have a big announcement to make today. A few months back, we decided
      to join forces and start a new company:

      ScientiaMobile ( http://www.scientiamobile.com ).

      The point of the new company is easily explained: as WURFL gains
      popularity and more and more companies are requesting professional support,
      there was no way this could be achieved while we were developing and
      supporting WURFL as a side activity to our regular jobs. ScientiaMobile
      is the roof under which Luca and Steve are bringing 100% of the
      WURFL intellectual property and fire power. The days of juggling WURFL
      with a ton of other tasks are gone. Now we are totally committed to making
      WURFL an even greater resource for mobile developers than it has ever been.
      As we say in our tagline:

                    WURFL has graduated

      The core offering will evolve around the following:

      -    Dual Licensing of the WURFL APIs: Java, PHP, .Net and
      Database API (the artist previously known as Tera-WURFL)

      -    WURFL Cloud Services. I know the name "buzzes", yet it accurately
      describes what many have been requesting repeatedly: a highly-available
      central repository serving updated WURFL information at all times.
       At this point, the service is still in alpha, but we gladly accept early birds,
      ready to bargain a substantial discount for the service with the fine-tuning of
      the WURFL Cloud client component.

      -    Some other tools that are too early to announce.

      We know you have some questions at this point. Let's see if we can
      address some before you ask:

      Will WURFL remain an Open Source project?

      The answer is: Yes. It will.

      We are totally aware that much of WURFL's success is based on adoption by you,
      the great WURFL community, and we want things to stay that way. Having said this,
      now that previous jobs are quit, and houses are mortgaged, we also need to make
      ScientiaMobile a profitable enterprise, which means that some of the previous
      completely free, no-strings attached "offerings" may now be limited for
      certain organizations, unless they cover for part of the value they are getting.
      One way to put it is that the model where WURFL would rely on people's gratitude
      was not very sustainable economically. If you work for a commercial company or
      any other organization with a budget, you will have a good reason to walk
      into your manager's office and say: "Boss, I got good news and bad news.
      The good news is that WURFL has a company behind it, offering support and
      better tools. The bad news is that we will need to make some space for
      it in our budget"

      There is an elephant in the room. But we won't make-believe that it is
      not there. The elephant is the new FOSS license we are placing on the APIs.
      We are switching from GPL to Affero GPL (AGPL)  Version 3 from
      the Free Software Foundation:

      http://www.gnu.org/licenses/agpl.html

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Affero_General_Public_License

      In a nutshell, AGPL is a strong copyleft, just like GPL, but with
      one big difference: using your WURFL application on a web server constitutes
      distributions and triggers the GPL copyleft provisions. Many organizations
      will perceive AGPL compliance as a restriction. Such restrictions can be lifted
      by purchasing a commercial license from ScientiaMobile.

      Of course, the data will still be distributed freely, which means that,
      while companies pay for the API license once, they'll benefit from our
      continued effort to enrich and organize device data for the years to come.

      That's pretty much it for the first announcement.

      Looking forward to your continued encouragement and support.

      Steve and Luca

    • Maximiliano Firtman
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 6, 2011
        Congratulations Luca and Steve for this new step in WURFL!

        I believe a lot of people were waiting for this new level of support to the framework and timing can not be better.

        It's great to have you both working now full-time on WURFL and having a company giving full support while being still an open source project. I've just realized that Tera-WURFL is now part of the official APIs (Database API I believe), +1 for that too!

        I believe big changes will happen now to WURFL for better. I hope everybody can join forces to help you guys in this new step.

        My best wishes for the company!

        Maximiliano Firtman

        mobile + web   @firt   firt.mobi
        author speaker trainer developer

        Adobe Community Champion | Forum Nokia Champion | O'Reilly author

        Skype: maximiliano.firtman | Google Chat: firtman@... | Blog

      • Alejandro Guerrieri

          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 6, 2011
            Congrats buddies!!!

            Sounds very cool to me!!!
            All the best wishes on this new era!!!

            Regards,

            Juan

            On Monday, June 6, 2011, Alejandro Guerrieri
            <alejandro.guerrieri@...> wrote:

> [...]
            > the Free Software Foundation:
            >
            > http://www.gnu.org/licenses/agpl.html
            >
            > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Affero_General_Public_License
            >
            > In a nutshell, AGPL is a strong copyleft, just like GPL, but with
            > one big difference: using your WURFL application on a web server constitutes
            > distributions and triggers the GPL copyleft provisions. Many organizations
            > will perceive AGPL compliance as a restriction. Such restrictions can be lifted
            > by purchasing a commercial license from ScientiaMobile.
            >
            > Of course, the data will still be distributed freely, which means that,
            > while companies pay for the API license once, they'll benefit from our
            > continued effort to enrich and organize device data for the years to come.
            >
            > That's pretty much it for the first announcement.
            >
            > Looking forward to your continued encouragement and support.

          • Idel Fuschini
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 6, 2011
              Congratulation!!!! In bocca al lupo !
              Idel
              =====================
              Mobile: +39 349 442 2668
              E-Mail: idel.fuschini@...
              Web Site: http://www.idelfuschini.it
              OpenSource Project: Apache Mobile Filter - http://www.idelfuschini.it/apache-mobile-filter-v2x.html
              Test Page:  http://www.apachemobilefilter.org/test/php_test.php
              Mobile Test Page:  http://www.apachemobilefilter.org
              ------
              La presente comunicazione ed i suoi allegati e' destinata esclusivamente
              ai destinatari. Qualsiasi suo utilizzo, comunicazione o diffusione non autorizzata
              e' proibita. Se ha ricevuto questa comunicazione per errore, la preghiamo di darne
              immediata comunicazione al mittente e di cancellare tutte le informazioni
              erroneamente acquisite. (Rif. D.Lgs. 196/2003). Grazie

              This message and its attachments are intended only for use by the addressees. Any use,
              re-transmission or dissemination not authorized of it is prohibited. If you received
              this e-mail in error, please inform the sender immediately and delete all the material.
              (Rif. D.Lgs. 196/2003). Thank you.

            • mobilemercenary
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 6, 2011
                Hi Luca and Steve,

                Congratulations on taking this step! I have been waiting for this for about 7 years and am very excited by your new offering!

                I wish every success to ScientiaMobile!

                With kind regards,

                Tom

                --- In wmlprogramming@yahoogroups.com, Luca Passani <luca.passani@...> wrote:

> [...]
                > the Free Software Foundation:
                >
                > http://www.gnu.org/licenses/agpl.html
                >
                > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Affero_General_Public_License
                >
                > In a nutshell, AGPL is a strong copyleft, just like GPL, but with
                > one big difference: using your WURFL application on a web server constitutes
                >
                > distributions and triggers the GPL copyleft provisions. Many organizations
                > will perceive AGPL compliance as a restriction. Such restrictions can be
                > lifted
                > by purchasing a commercial license from ScientiaMobile.
                >
                > Of course, the data will still be distributed freely, which means that,
                > while companies pay for the API license once, they'll benefit from our
                > continued effort to enrich and organize device data for the years to come.
                >
                > That's pretty much it for the first announcement.
                >
                > Looking forward to your continued encouragement and support.

              • Christopher M. Logan
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 7, 2011
                  Congratulations!
                  Very nice move.