Re: [wmlprogramming] iPhone 3 & iPhone 4 -> different resolution

  • Idel Fuschini
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 31, 2011
      If is a mobile there is Javascript API to know the resolution.
      Idel
      =====================
      E-Mail: idel.fuschini@...
      Web Site: http://www.idelfuschini.it
      OpenSource Project: Apache Mobile Filter - http://www.idelfuschini.it/apache-mobile-filter-v2x.html
      Test Page:  http://www.apachemobilefilter.org/test/php_test.php
      Mobile Test Page:  http://www.apachemobilefilter.org
      ------
      La presente comunicazione ed i suoi allegati e' destinata esclusivamente
      ai destinatari. Qualsiasi suo utilizzo, comunicazione o diffusione non autorizzata
      e' proibita. Se ha ricevuto questa comunicazione per errore, la preghiamo di darne
      immediata comunicazione al mittente e di cancellare tutte le informazioni
      erroneamente acquisite. (Rif. D.Lgs. 196/2003). Grazie

      This message and its attachments are intended only for use by the addressees. Any use,
      re-transmission or dissemination not authorized of it is prohibited. If you received
      this e-mail in error, please inform the sender immediately and delete all the material.
      (Rif. D.Lgs. 196/2003). Thank you.

      On 31 January 2011 20:37, Filip Cooreman <filip.cooreman@...> wrote:

      Dear all,

      For the moment, we do a lot of tests with the iPhone 3 and iPhone 4, because it is the most popular mobile device that is used for our project.

      Now, when I do a search with the userAgent of a iPhone 4 in the latest wurfl.xml, I will get the capabilities of a iPhone 3, but the iPhone 4 has a higer resolution then the iPhone 3.
      Is there another way to have the right resolution of the device based on the userAgent ?

      Thanks,

      Filip

      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 1, 2011
        On 31/01/2011 20.37, Filip Cooreman wrote:
        > Dear all,
        >
        > For the moment, we do a lot of tests with the iPhone 3 and iPhone 4, because it is the most popular mobile device that is used for our project.
        >
        > Now, when I do a search with the userAgent of a iPhone 4 in the latest wurfl.xml, I will get the capabilities of a iPhone 3, but the iPhone 4 has a higer resolution then the iPhone 3.
        > Is there another way to have the right resolution of the device based on the userAgent ?

        the problem is that Steve Jobs, in his infinite wisdom, has decided that
        developers should not be able to tell iPhone 3 and 4 programmatically by looking
        at HTTP headers alone.

        I think Max Firtman had found a trick to recognize the difference client-side
        with JavaScript. Have you looked at the WMLProgramming archive?

        Luca
      • David Rubin
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 1, 2011
          On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 12:14 PM, Luca Passani <luca.passani@...> wrote:
          On 31/01/2011 20.37, Filip Cooreman wrote:
          > Dear all,
          >
          > For the moment, we do a lot of tests with the iPhone 3 and iPhone 4, because it is the most popular mobile device that is used for our project.
          >
          > Now, when I do a search with the userAgent of a iPhone 4 in the latest wurfl.xml, I will get the capabilities of a iPhone 3, but the iPhone 4 has a higer resolution then the iPhone 3.
          > Is there another way to have the right resolution of the device based on the userAgent ?

          the problem is that Steve Jobs, in his infinite wisdom, has decided that
          developers should not be able to tell iPhone 3 and 4 programmatically by looking
          at HTTP headers alone.

          I am starting to think the only people that have gotten UA's remotely correct is Windows Phone 7 and possibly blackberry.

          I think Max Firtman had found a trick to recognize the difference client-side
          with JavaScript. Have you looked at the WMLProgramming archive?

          <*> Your email settings:
             Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
             (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
             wmlprogramming-digest@yahoogroups.com
             wmlprogramming-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

             http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • Filip Cooreman
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 1, 2011
            I use the userAgent to look up in the WMLprogramming archive.

            Filip

            On 31/01/2011 20.37, Filip Cooreman wrote:
            > Dear all,
            >
            > For the moment, we do a lot of tests with the iPhone 3 and iPhone 4, because it is the most popular mobile device that is used for our project.
            >
            > Now, when I do a search with the userAgent of a iPhone 4 in the latest wurfl.xml, I will get the capabilities of a iPhone 3, but the iPhone 4 has a higer resolution then the iPhone 3.
            > Is there another way to have the right resolution of the device based on the userAgent ?

            the problem is that Steve Jobs, in his infinite wisdom, has decided that
            developers should not be able to tell iPhone 3 and 4 programmatically by looking
            at HTTP headers alone.

            I think Max Firtman had found a trick to recognize the difference client-side
            with JavaScript. Have you looked at the WMLProgramming archive?

            Luca

          • Maximiliano R. Firtman
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 2, 2011
              You can determine if its an iPhone 4 (or iPod touch 4) using  -webkit-device-pixel-ratio in CSS Media queries or using window.devicePixelRatio on JavaScript. If the value is 2 then it's a Retina Displayl

              BR

              Lic. Maximiliano Firtman
              Developer | Trainer | Author | Consulting
              Mobile | Rich Internet Applications | Performance | Training

              Twitter  LinkedIn  Nokia Champion  Personal Page  Adobe User Group Manager
              Skype: maximiliano.firtman | Chat: firtman@... | Live MSN: firtman@...

              On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 11:14, Luca Passani <luca.passani@...> wrote:

              On 31/01/2011 20.37, Filip Cooreman wrote:
              > Dear all,
              >
              > For the moment, we do a lot of tests with the iPhone 3 and iPhone 4, because it is the most popular mobile device that is used for our project.
              >
              > Now, when I do a search with the userAgent of a iPhone 4 in the latest wurfl.xml, I will get the capabilities of a iPhone 3, but the iPhone 4 has a higer resolution then the iPhone 3.
              > Is there another way to have the right resolution of the device based on the userAgent ?

              the problem is that Steve Jobs, in his infinite wisdom, has decided that
              developers should not be able to tell iPhone 3 and 4 programmatically by looking
              at HTTP headers alone.

              I think Max Firtman had found a trick to recognize the difference client-side
              with JavaScript. Have you looked at the WMLProgramming archive?

              Luca

            • Andrea Trasatti
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 10, 2011
                On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 12:19 PM, David Rubin <davidrub@...> wrote:

                On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 12:14 PM, Luca Passani <luca.passani@...> wrote:
                On 31/01/2011 20.37, Filip Cooreman wrote:
                > Dear all,
                >
                > For the moment, we do a lot of tests with the iPhone 3 and iPhone 4, because it is the most popular mobile device that is used for our project.
                >
                > Now, when I do a search with the userAgent of a iPhone 4 in the latest wurfl.xml, I will get the capabilities of a iPhone 3, but the iPhone 4 has a higer resolution then the iPhone 3.
                > Is there another way to have the right resolution of the device based on the userAgent ?

                the problem is that Steve Jobs, in his infinite wisdom, has decided that
                developers should not be able to tell iPhone 3 and 4 programmatically by looking
                at HTTP headers alone.

                I am starting to think the only people that have gotten UA's remotely correct is Windows Phone 7 and possibly blackberry.

                What is in a User-Agent string that makes it "right"?

                Andrea
              • David Rubin
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 10, 2011
                  On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 4:40 PM, Andrea Trasatti <andrea@...> wrote:

                  On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 12:19 PM, David Rubin <davidrub@...> wrote:

                  On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 12:14 PM, Luca Passani <luca.passani@...> wrote:
                  On 31/01/2011 20.37, Filip Cooreman wrote:
                  > Dear all,
                  >
                  > For the moment, we do a lot of tests with the iPhone 3 and iPhone 4, because it is the most popular mobile device that is used for our project.
                  >
                  > Now, when I do a search with the userAgent of a iPhone 4 in the latest wurfl.xml, I will get the capabilities of a iPhone 3, but the iPhone 4 has a higer resolution then the iPhone 3.
                  > Is there another way to have the right resolution of the device based on the userAgent ?

                  the problem is that Steve Jobs, in his infinite wisdom, has decided that
                  developers should not be able to tell iPhone 3 and 4 programmatically by looking
                  at HTTP headers alone.

                  I am starting to think the only people that have gotten UA's remotely correct is Windows Phone 7 and possibly blackberry.

                  What is in a User-Agent string that makes it "right"?

                  Well since there isn't a "spec" it is hard to say, but looking at both Blackberry and Windows Phone 7 UA's you can see the exact
                  1) Browser version
                  2) Os Version
                  3) Device make and model

                  It makes it very easy to "detect" and thus figure out exactly what is going on.

                  With the other devices out there there is even less of a standard and it makes it almost impossible to detect that is why at first Wurfl started it was doing *exact* matches on UA's as apposed to algorithmicly pulling out relevant data as it is doing now.

                  David
                • Andrea Trasatti
                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 10, 2011
                    On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 4:46 PM, David Rubin <davidrub@...> wrote:

                    On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 4:40 PM, Andrea Trasatti <andrea@...> wrote:

                    On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 12:19 PM, David Rubin <davidrub@...> wrote:

                    On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 12:14 PM, Luca Passani <luca.passani@...> wrote:
                    On 31/01/2011 20.37, Filip Cooreman wrote:
                    > Dear all,
                    >
                    > For the moment, we do a lot of tests with the iPhone 3 and iPhone 4, because it is the most popular mobile device that is used for our project.
                    >
                    > Now, when I do a search with the userAgent of a iPhone 4 in the latest wurfl.xml, I will get the capabilities of a iPhone 3, but the iPhone 4 has a higer resolution then the iPhone 3.
                    > Is there another way to have the right resolution of the device based on the userAgent ?

                    the problem is that Steve Jobs, in his infinite wisdom, has decided that
                    developers should not be able to tell iPhone 3 and 4 programmatically by looking
                    at HTTP headers alone.

                    I am starting to think the only people that have gotten UA's remotely correct is Windows Phone 7 and possibly blackberry.

                    What is in a User-Agent string that makes it "right"?

                    Well since there isn't a "spec" it is hard to say, but looking at both Blackberry and Windows Phone 7 UA's you can see the exact
                    1) Browser version
                    2) Os Version
                    3) Device make and model

                    It makes it very easy to "detect" and thus figure out exactly what is going on.

                    So that's what Nokia and many other vendors have been doing for 10+ years ;)
                    iPhone is definitely a milestone in mobile devices, but let's not compare everything past and present to it.

                    Android devices also have those 3 elements, at least as a guideline. OEMs can then take a different route.

                    Andrea