Re: [wmlprogramming] Re: IE9’s UA & Windows Phone IE UA Strings

  • David Rubin
    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 1, 2010
      On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 5:40 PM, Luca Passani <luca.passani@...> wrote:

      James,

      We have had this for some time:

      http://db.wurflpro.com/device/show/27658

      is it good enough? do those devices come with a UAProf?

      Luca

      Sorry for only replying to this now. This information doesn't seem correct. It says

      device_os : Windows Mobile OS
      defined in: generic_ms_mobile_browser_ver1

      Where the actual device_os is something like WP7 they have completely redone and revamped it ie the whole os is different that is like comparing meego to Android since they both run the similar kernel.

      David

      On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 10:30 AM, jwrosewell <jwrosewell@...> wrote:
      We've got the following UAs for Windows Phone 7.

      Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows Phone OS 7.0; Trident/3.1; IEMobile/7.0; LG; GW910)

      Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows Phone OS 7.0; Trident/3.1;
      IEMobile/7.0; LG; LG-C900B)

      Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows Phone OS 7.0; Trident/3.1; IEMobile/7.0; Microsoft Corporation; XDeviceEmulator)

      Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows Phone OS 7.0; Trident/3.1; IEMobile/7.0; Microsoft; XDeviceEmulator)

      Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows Phone OS 7.0; Trident/3.1; IEMobile/7.0; SAMSUNG; OMNIA7)

      Has a base device been defined yet, or should we add one?

      Thanks,

      James

      Message 2 of 17 , Nov 1, 2010
        Dave I am not following.

        http://db.wurflpro.com/device/show/27658  is generic_mobile_browser_ver1_winmo7

        so, OS and OS version will be inherited right.

        What's the problem?

        Luca

        Message 3 of 17 , Nov 1, 2010
          Sorry my last if my last email wasn't clear.

          The device OS is for the fallback device is  "device_os : Windows Mobile OS " I am suggesting that these devices aren't "Windows Mobile OS" any more they are WP7.

          It isn't only a marketing thing but also a logical thing since they are supported in completely different ways and Windows Mobile is now completely dead platform. None of the fall back properties should carry over.

          Hope this makes sense else I can send some supporting documentation.

          David

          Message 4 of 17 , Nov 1, 2010
            So, you are basically saying that you would like to see WP7 as

            generic_xhtml -> generic_windows_mobile_wp7 or something like that?

            comments anyone?

            BTW, I think I heard someone from MS say that Winmo 6/6.5 will be around for
            some time. Apparently, the hardware specs for WP7 are high enough that moving
            all OEMs to the new OS wasn't feasible

            Luca

            Message 5 of 17 , Nov 1, 2010
              Actually I would personally be happy for you to change the OS name.

              device_os : WP7 (or something similar)
              device_os_version : 7.0

              From the UA "Windows Phone OS 7.0; Trident/3.1;" it makes sense that
              even the UA has moved away from Windows Mobile.

              BTW I don't mind so much if the browser inherits from Windows Mobile
              but I do think it justifies having a different OS since my motives
              relate more to device detection then browser detection.

              Thanks

              David

              PS has any implemented the windows phone 7 matcher? if I was to go by
              by helping submit a patch what would be the process?

              On Mon, Nov 1, 2010 at 5:09 PM, Luca Passani <luca.passani@...> wrote:

              > So, you are basically saying that you would like to see WP7 as
              >
              > generic_xhtml -> generic_windows_mobile_wp7 or something like that?
              >
              > comments anyone?
              >
              > BTW, I think I heard someone from MS say that Winmo 6/6.5 will be around for
              > some time. Apparently, the hardware specs for WP7 are high enough that moving
              > all OEMs to the new OS wasn't feasible
              >
              > Luca
              >

              > On 01/11/2010 15.55, David Rubin wrote:
              >> Sorry my last if my last email wasn't clear.
              >>
              >> The device OS is for the fallback device is  "device_os : Windows Mobile OS
              >> " I am suggesting that these devices aren't "Windows Mobile OS" any more
              >> they are WP7.
              >>
              >> It isn't only a marketing thing but also a logical thing since they are
              >> supported in completely different ways and Windows Mobile is now completely
              >> dead platform. None of the fall back properties should carry over.
              >>
              >> Hope this makes sense else I can send some supporting documentation.
              >>
              >> David
              >>
              >> On Mon, Nov 1, 2010 at 4:49 PM, Luca Passani <luca.passani@...> wrote:
              >>

              >>> Dave I am not following.
              >>>
              >>> http://db.wurflpro.com/device/show/27658  is
              >>> generic_mobile_browser_ver1_winmo7
              >>>
              >>> so, OS and OS version will be inherited right.
              >>>
              >>> What's the problem?
              >>>
              >>> Luca

            • jason.delport
              Message 6 of 17 , Nov 1, 2010
                Here are all the Windows Phone 7 UA's I have.

                Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows Phone OS 7.0; Trident/3.1; IEMobile/7.0) LGE;GW910
                Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows Phone OS 7.0; Trident/3.1; IEMobile/7.0; SAMSUNG; OMNIA7)
                Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows Phone OS 7.0; Trident/3.1; IEMobile/7.0; LG; LG-E900)
                Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows Phone OS 7.0; Trident/3.1; IEMobile/7.0; HTC; 7 Trophy)
                Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows Phone OS 7.0; Trident/3.1; IEMobile/7.0; HTC; HD7 T9292)

              • David Rubin
                Message 7 of 17 , Nov 1, 2010
                  Take note of
                  http://blogs.msdn.com/b/iemobile/archive/2010/03/25/ladies-and-gentlemen-please-welcome-the-ie-mobile-user-agent-string.aspx

                  "The platform token is now "Windows Phone OS 7.0"

                  David

                  Message 8 of 17 , Nov 1, 2010
                    So, I'll go for:

                    Device OS: Windows Phone OS

                    OS version: 7

                    Luca

                    Message 9 of 17 , Nov 1, 2010
                      While I am here, what should we call the browser mounted by WP7?

                      Mobile Explorer? Trident? which version numbers should we refer to?

                      if we agree on this, I'll make sure it stays standard in the data and the docs
                      (and avoid that different contributors make different choices along the way)

                    • Rok
                      Message 10 of 17 , Nov 8, 2010
                        I think David has a point here. WP7 is a completely new platform, no connections to Windows Mobile really.

                        BR, Rok

                        Message 11 of 17 , Nov 8, 2010
                          So, the only connection to Windows Mobile left is the fallback into win6.5.

                          I can make the fallback go into generic_xhtml. This is no big deal as long as you define all the right capabilities at the family level (after all, also generic_android falls back into generic_xhtml)

                          Luca

                          <*> Your email settings:
                             Individual Email | Traditional

                          <*> To change settings online go to:
                             (Yahoo! ID required)

                          <*> To change settings via email:
                             wmlprogramming-digest@yahoogroups.com
                             wmlprogramming-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                             http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                        • Idel Fuschini
                          Message 12 of 17 , Nov 8, 2010
                            I have met one of Microsoft engineers and he told me that Windows Phone 7 has no relation with Windows Mobile, it's a new OS (this is the reason that it's a good OS)
                            Idel
                            =====================
                            Mobile: +39 349 442 2668
                            E-Mail: idel.fuschini@...
                            Web Site: http://www.idelfuschini.it
                            OpenSource Project: Apache Mobile Filter - http://www.idelfuschini.it/apache-mobile-filter-v2x.html
                            Test Page:  http://www.apachemobilefilter.org/test/php_test.php
                            Mobile Test Page:  http://www.apachemobilefilter.org
                            ------
                            La presente comunicazione ed i suoi allegati e' destinata esclusivamente
                            ai destinatari. Qualsiasi suo utilizzo, comunicazione o diffusione non autorizzata
                            e' proibita. Se ha ricevuto questa comunicazione per errore, la preghiamo di darne
                            immediata comunicazione al mittente e di cancellare tutte le informazioni
                            erroneamente acquisite. (Rif. D.Lgs. 196/2003). Grazie

                            This message and its attachments are intended only for use by the addressees. Any use,
                            re-transmission or dissemination not authorized of it is prohibited. If you received
                            this e-mail in error, please inform the sender immediately and delete all the material.
                            (Rif. D.Lgs. 196/2003). Thank you.