HTML5 in WURFL

  • Steve Kamerman
    Message 1 of 3 , May 31, 2010
      Has a discussion/decision already been made regarding support for
      HTML5 and it's feature set?

      We could consider this an extension of XHTML (xhtml_support_level = 5)
      or create a new group if it support seems to be fragmented enough
      (html5_support, html5_sqlite, html5_svg, etc...)

      Thanks,

      Steve Kamerman
      http://www.tera-wurfl.com
    • Idel Fuschini

        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 1, 2010
          I am looking into HTML5 myself and I am not against the general idea of
          adding an HTML5 specific group in WURFL.

          I would just like the name (and meaning) of the capabilities to come up
          in a controlled fashion, based on actual issues that people are having
          with doing things differently for different HTML5 enabled devices.

          As a general observation, my feeling is that:

          - What people call HTML5, is actually made up of Ajax, DOM, XHR, CSS,
          with new HTML5 features only representing about 29% of the total value.

          - HTML5 support is very fragmented, with a browser implementing this and
          another browser implementing that.

          Also, let's not forget that WURFL tracks browser and version, so those
          capabilities are enough to get going with HTML5 for the time being.

          Luca