iPad and Apple: let me share a thought

    Message 1 of 8 , May 1, 2010

      Guys, I am in the US so I bought an iPad (it has not shipped in italy yet).

      I upgraded my itunes. It recognised my iPad and everything was going smooth.

      Not many apps installed by default, though, so I hit the appstore:

      "The AppStore is not available in your country" (I am registered as an italian user)

      i.e. I was not allowed to install any apps. :(

      So, I'm screwed until the day the iPad ships in Italy. But this is not the point: the point is that developers and everyone else in the ecosystem should beware of Apple. This stuff is as closed as it gets. Give Steve Jobs more power and he will keep the whole industry (+end-users) by the balls faster than you can say WURFL

      Let's hope it does not become an Apple-only world.

      Luca

    • Alessandro Pace
      Message 2 of 8 , May 1, 2010
        Ciao,

        Why on hearth would you choose Italian ? :) can't believe an Italian got screwed !!! :)

        Not sure how many of you read this:
        http://www.apple.com/hotnews/thoughts-on-flash/

        the interesting part is:
        "We cannot be at the mercy of a third party deciding if and when they will make our enhancements available to our developers."

        Alessandro

        On Sat, May 1, 2010 at 7:55 PM, Luca Passani <luca.passani@...> wrote:

        Guys, I am in the US so I bought an iPad (it has not shipped in italy yet).

        I upgraded my itunes. It recognised my iPad and everything was going smooth.

        Not many apps installed by default, though, so I hit the appstore:

        "The AppStore is not available in your country" (I am registered as an italian user)

        i.e. I was not allowed to install any apps. :(

        So, I'm screwed until the day the iPad ships in Italy. But this is not the point: the point is that developers and everyone else in the ecosystem should beware of Apple. This stuff is as closed as it gets. Give Steve Jobs more power and he will keep the whole industry (+end-users) by the balls faster than you can say WURFL

        Let's hope it does not become an Apple-only world.

        Alessandro Pace
        Mobile Architect
        Blogs: www.biskero.org www.flashlite4nokia.com www.flashlite4se.com
        Site: www.biskero.com
        Email:  biskero@...
        Skype/Gtalk/Jaiku/Twitter: biskero
        LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/biskero
        Forum Nokia Champion
        Samsung Mobile Innovator Star
        Manager of the Boston Adobe Mobile and Devices User Group: www.flashmobilegroup.org
        Adobe Community Professional Mobile
        Co-Founder of Mobile Monday Boston www.momoboston.com
      • Anders Magnus Andersen

          Message 4 of 8 , May 1, 2010
            Guys, thanks for the advices. The point I was trying to make is not that I cannot by-pass Apple restrictions if I really want (I am sure that it will be possible to jailbrak the iPad soon, if not already).

            My point was about the general point that regular users will need to endure the limitations imposed by Apple and so will the rest of the industry.

            This feels unfair and particularly so if one has forked out $800 for the holy gadget.

            In other words, let's be careful when we sanctify Steve Jobs and the Apple religion. They are not doing this because of their good heart. If Apple had their way, that would mean large pie for Apple, crumbles for everyone else.

            Luca

            On Sat, May 1, 2010 at 9:55 PM, Anders Magnus Andersen <ama@...> wrote:

[...]

          • Steve Kamerman
            Message 5 of 8 , May 2, 2010
              If it makes you feel better, I am a US citizen deployed with the US Army in Iraq and I can't even download non-Apple podcasts because of my location!  I wonder why Apple must impose these restrictions on third parties?  Shouldn't the content owners be in charge of their export restrictions?

              Thanks,

              Steve Kamerman

              Sent from my iPhone

              Message 6 of 8 , May 4, 2010
              • Idel Fuschini
                Message 7 of 8 , May 10, 2010
                  Hi,
                  another info for who want to buy an iPad.
                  I just now have bought an iPad directly for apple store, and I discover for only italian region, we need to pay an overtax of 1,90 Euro for SIAE (artistic rights).

                  Idel
                  =====================
                  Mobile: +39 349 442 2668
                  E-Mail: idel.fuschini@...
                  Web Site: http://www.idelfuschini.it
                  OpenSource Project: Apache Mobile Filter - http://www.idelfuschini.it/apache-mobile-filter-v2x.html
                  Test Page:  http://www.apachemobilefilter.org/test/php_test.php
                  Mobile Test Page:  http://www.apachemobilefilter.org
                  ------
                  La presente comunicazione ed i suoi allegati e' destinata esclusivamente
                  ai destinatari. Qualsiasi suo utilizzo, comunicazione o diffusione non autorizzata
                  e' proibita. Se ha ricevuto questa comunicazione per errore, la preghiamo di darne
                  immediata comunicazione al mittente e di cancellare tutte le informazioni
                  erroneamente acquisite. (Rif. D.Lgs. 196/2003). Grazie

                  This message and its attachments are intended only for use by the addressees. Any use,
                  re-transmission or dissemination not authorized of it is prohibited. If you received
                  this e-mail in error, please inform the sender immediately and delete all the material.
                  (Rif. D.Lgs. 196/2003). Thank you.

                • Alessandro Pace