XP's IE6 Showing Wrong Result

  • Christopher Haslage
    Message 1 of 23 , Feb 2, 2010
      Here is the User Agent for IE6 on XP:
      Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.04506.30; .NET CLR 3.0.04506.648; .NET CLR 3.5.21022; .NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152; .NET CLR 3.5.30729)

      I added it to my Tera-WURFL exceptions, but wanted to let you all know it shows completely wrong. :)

      Thanks,

      Chris

      On 1/29/2010 9:01 AM, Luca Passani wrote:

      Chris Abbott wrote:
      > Also, how about a 1.92 million pound iphone?
      >
      > http://www.stuarthu ghes.com/ newdawn/product_ info.php? products_ id=57

      when it comes to iPhones, we cannot (programmatically) tell 3G and 3GS
      apart (nor 2.5G Edge phones for that matter).

      I doubt Stuart Hughes has fixed the firmware to send a "x-user-income:
      loaded" extra header with each request :)

      Chris Haslage
      Programmer
      Delta Media Group
      tel: 1.866.233.9833 x205
      web: http://www.deltagroup.com/
    • Steve Kamerman
      Message 2 of 23 , Feb 2, 2010
        Hi Chris, thanks for the heads-up, I will put it in my list of misbehaving User Agents!  I think you've got enough ".NET CLR" references in there!

        Thanks,

        Steve Kamerman

        Message 3 of 23 , Feb 2, 2010

          As an aside, this case is handled by the regular APIs which will strip those .Net CLR references and proceed to match the web browser beneath

          Luca

          Message 4 of 23 , Feb 3, 2010
            Luca, my API detects the .NET CLR and sends the UA to the Internet Explorer matcher, but the current problem is that some non-IE UAs are finding there way into the IE Matcher table as well, and Cris' problem is a result of this.  I suppose I should also strip the same UA parts like .NET CLR like you are doing in the regular API so we will get similar results.  I'm assuming the .NET CLRs and other similar phrases are removed from the UAs in the desktop web browser patch file?

            Thanks,

            Steve Kamerman

            Message 5 of 23 , Feb 3, 2010
              exactly, this is why one of the reasons why the web browser patch got a lot smaller a few months back.

              One side effect of the choice is that funny spiders and bots may be detected as browsers, but we figured that trying to match all of those was a red herring...if one is serious about those UAs (which shouldn't be the case for the vast majority of mobile sites), the logic to filter them out should be implemented independently of WURFL, using techniques which go beyond the UA string alone (IP and IP range, for example).

              Luca

              Chris Abbott wrote:
              > Also, how about a 1.92 million pound iphone?
              >
              > http://www.stuarthughes.com/newdawn/product_info.php?products_id=57

              when it comes to iPhones, we cannot (programmatically) tell 3G and 3GS
              apart (nor 2.5G Edge phones for that matter).

              I doubt Stuart Hughes has fixed the firmware to send a "x-user-income:
              loaded" extra header with each request :)

              Chris Haslage
              Programmer
              Delta Media Group
              tel: 1.866.233.9833 x205
              web: http://www.deltagroup.com/

            • jwalkerrrd
              Message 6 of 23 , Feb 12, 2010
                I'm also having this problem when using the wurfl-1.0.1-rc3 Java API.

                My user agent for IE6 on XP is "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.04506.30; .NET CLR 3.0.04506.648; .NET CLR 3.5.21022; InfoPath.2)"

                However, it is matching to the HTC Pure mobile device, which is defined in the wurfl XML as:
                <device id="htc_st6356_ver1_submsie" user_agent="Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; Windows Phone 6.5)" fall_back="htc_st6356_ver1">...</device>

                I'm not sure how my user agent would be mapping to the HTC, as the HTC user agent shows "Windows Phone 6.5" which is not in my user agent.

                I added the following to my patch file and it worked. But my user agent only applies for Windows XP SP2+ (see here for IE User Agents explained: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms537503%28VS.85%29.aspx)

                Patch:
                <device user_agent="Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1;" fall_back="msie_6" id="msie_6_xpsp2"/>

                But if I leave the "SV1;" out of the user agent in my patch, it still shows up as the HTC phone. Since the SV1 only indicates a service pack on the OS, if a user without that service pack comes in, I fear it will be improperly recognized. Adding my "device" to the patch seems like a hack, and I'm not sure it's correct.

                Any suggestions? How is my user agent being matched to the HTC since the HTC contains information not in my User Agent?

                Thanks,

                Jon

                --- In wmlprogramming@yahoogroups.com, Luca Passani <luca.passani@...> wrote:

                > exactly, this is why one of the reasons why the web browser patch got a lot
                > smaller a few months back.
                >
                > One side effect of the choice is that funny spiders and bots may be detected
                > as browsers, but we figured that trying to match all of those was a red
                > herring...if one is serious about those UAs (which shouldn't be the case for
                > the vast majority of mobile sites), the logic to filter them out should be
                > implemented independently of WURFL, using techniques which go beyond the UA
                > string alone (IP and IP range, for example).
                >

                > Luca
                >
                > On Wed, Feb 3, 2010 at 10:16 AM, Steve Kamerman <stevekamerman@...>wrote:
                >

                > > Luca, my API detects the .NET CLR and sends the UA to the Internet Explorer
                > > matcher, but the current problem is that some non-IE UAs are finding there
                > > way into the IE Matcher table as well, and Cris' problem is a result of
                > > this. I suppose I should also strip the same UA parts like .NET CLR like
                > > you are doing in the regular API so we will get similar results. I'm
                > > assuming the .NET CLRs and other similar phrases are removed from the UAs in
                > > the desktop web browser patch file?
                > >
                > > Thanks,
                > >
                > > Steve Kamerman
                > >

                > > On Wed, Feb 3, 2010 at 10:38 AM, Luca Passani <luca.passani@...>wrote:
                > >

                > >> As an aside, this case is handled by the regular APIs which will strip
                > >> those .Net CLR references and proceed to match the web browser beneath
                > >>
                > >> Luca

              • Steve Kamerman
                Message 7 of 23 , Feb 12, 2010
                  Jon, you are correct.  I've spent about a month looking at 10,000 IE UAs and I've got the detection down for IE and Firefox in Tera-WURFL 2.1.0 (released on Wednesday).  Here's why the result is/was unpredictable:  your UA was reduced to this via Reduction in String:

                  Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1;

                  then it was compared to all the other UAs - in Tera-WURFL, this results in about 10 devices.  With no other information to go off of, the library has no choice but to make an arbitrary choice and the device it's choosing is mobile in your case.

                  The solution in Tera-WURFL was to create a list of keywords that *only* exist in mobile user agents and one that *only* exists in desktop user agents, then only direct UAs that aren't mobile to the MSIEUserAgentMatcher.  I used this method to pre-filter the  results going to each of the UserAgentMatchers.  This process has proven very effective and improves performance noticably.

                  Note: it's showing up as Generic Web Browser because I have a new feature called "SimpleDesktop Matching Engine" turned on and the exact details of desktop browsers are intentionally not determined in order to increase performance.
                  Luca, if you are interested in the new logic that I'm using to increase accuracy of desktop detection let me know, although I think you'll find that it will stray from the pure WURFL logic that you have been focused on.

                  Thanks,

                  Steve Kamerman

                  Message 8 of 23 , Feb 13, 2010
                    Which API? with ot without web patch?

                    Luca

                    jwalkerrrd wrote:
                    > I'm also having this problem when using the wurfl-1.0.1-rc3 Java API.
                    >
                    > My user agent for IE6 on XP is "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.04506.30; .NET CLR 3.0.04506.648; .NET CLR 3.5.21022; InfoPath.2)"
                    >
                    > However, it is matching to the HTC Pure mobile device, which is defined in the wurfl XML as:
                    > <device id="htc_st6356_ver1_submsie" user_agent="Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; Windows Phone 6.5)" fall_back="htc_st6356_ver1">...</device>
                    >
                    > I'm not sure how my user agent would be mapping to the HTC, as the HTC user agent shows "Windows Phone 6.5" which is not in my user agent.
                    >
                    > I added the following to my patch file and it worked. But my user agent only applies for Windows XP SP2+ (see here for IE User Agents explained: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms537503%28VS.85%29.aspx)
                    >
                    > Patch:
                    > <device user_agent="Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1;" fall_back="msie_6" id="msie_6_xpsp2"/>
                    >
                    > But if I leave the "SV1;" out of the user agent in my patch, it still shows up as the HTC phone. Since the SV1 only indicates a service pack on the OS, if a user without that service pack comes in, I fear it will be improperly recognized. Adding my "device" to the patch seems like a hack, and I'm not sure it's correct.
                    >
                    > Any suggestions? How is my user agent being matched to the HTC since the HTC contains information not in my User Agent?
                    >
                    > Thanks,
                    >
                    > Jon
                    >
                    > --- In wmlprogramming@yahoogroups.com, Luca Passani <luca.passani@...> wrote:
                    >
                    >> exactly, this is why one of the reasons why the web browser patch got a lot
                    >> smaller a few months back.
                    >>
                    >> One side effect of the choice is that funny spiders and bots may be detected
                    >> as browsers, but we figured that trying to match all of those was a red
                    >> herring...if one is serious about those UAs (which shouldn't be the case for
                    >> the vast majority of mobile sites), the logic to filter them out should be
                    >> implemented independently of WURFL, using techniques which go beyond the UA
                    >> string alone (IP and IP range, for example).
                    >>

                    >> Luca
                    >>
                    >> On Wed, Feb 3, 2010 at 10:16 AM, Steve Kamerman <stevekamerman@...>wrote:
                    >>

                    >>> Luca, my API detects the .NET CLR and sends the UA to the Internet Explorer
                    >>> matcher, but the current problem is that some non-IE UAs are finding there
                    >>> way into the IE Matcher table as well, and Cris' problem is a result of
                    >>> this. I suppose I should also strip the same UA parts like .NET CLR like
                    >>> you are doing in the regular API so we will get similar results. I'm
                    >>> assuming the .NET CLRs and other similar phrases are removed from the UAs in
                    >>> the desktop web browser patch file?
                    >>>
                    >>> Thanks,
                    >>>
                    >>> Steve Kamerman

                  • Steve Kamerman
                    Message 9 of 23 , Feb 13, 2010
                      I was specifically referring to the PHP WURFL API, but either may benefit.  I include the web patch with Tera-WURFL and it is enabled by default, but only a small percentage of web browsers end up being detected via the web patch because of the other logic I have in place.  RIS operations are very expensive for desktop browsers since their UAs tend to be very long.

                      Thanks,

                      Steve Kamerman

                      jwalkerrrd wrote:
                      > I'm also having this problem when using the wurfl-1.0.1-rc3 Java API.
                      >
                      > My user agent for IE6 on XP is "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.04506.30; .NET CLR 3.0.04506.648; .NET CLR 3.5.21022; InfoPath.2)"
                      >
                      > However, it is matching to the HTC Pure mobile device, which is defined in the wurfl XML as:
                      > <device id="htc_st6356_ver1_submsie" user_agent="Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; Windows Phone 6.5)" fall_back="htc_st6356_ver1">...</device>
                      >
                      > I'm not sure how my user agent would be mapping to the HTC, as the HTC user agent shows "Windows Phone 6.5" which is not in my user agent.
                      >
                      > I added the following to my patch file and it worked. But my user agent only applies for Windows XP SP2+ (see here for IE User Agents explained: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms537503%28VS.85%29.aspx)
                      >
                      > Patch:
                      > <device user_agent="Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1;" fall_back="msie_6" id="msie_6_xpsp2"/>
                      >
                      > But if I leave the "SV1;" out of the user agent in my patch, it still shows up as the HTC phone. Since the SV1 only indicates a service pack on the OS, if a user without that service pack comes in, I fear it will be improperly recognized. Adding my "device" to the patch seems like a hack, and I'm not sure it's correct.
                      >
                      > Any suggestions? How is my user agent being matched to the HTC since the HTC contains information not in my User Agent?
                      >
                      > Thanks,
                      >
                      > Jon
                      >
                      > --- In wmlprogramming@yahoogroups.com, Luca Passani <luca.passani@...> wrote:
                      >
                      >> exactly, this is why one of the reasons why the web browser patch got a lot
                      >> smaller a few months back.
                      >>
                      >> One side effect of the choice is that funny spiders and bots may be detected
                      >> as browsers, but we figured that trying to match all of those was a red
                      >> herring...if one is serious about those UAs (which shouldn't be the case for
                      >> the vast majority of mobile sites), the logic to filter them out should be
                      >> implemented independently of WURFL, using techniques which go beyond the UA
                      >> string alone (IP and IP range, for example).
                      >>

                      >> Luca
                      >>
                      >> On Wed, Feb 3, 2010 at 10:16 AM, Steve Kamerman <stevekamerman@...>wrote:
                      >>

                      >>> Luca, my API detects the .NET CLR and sends the UA to the Internet Explorer
                      >>> matcher, but the current problem is that some non-IE UAs are finding there
                      >>> way into the IE Matcher table as well, and Cris' problem is a result of
                      >>> this. I suppose I should also strip the same UA parts like .NET CLR like
                      >>> you are doing in the regular API so we will get similar results. I'm
                      >>> assuming the .NET CLRs and other similar phrases are removed from the UAs in
                      >>> the desktop web browser patch file?
                      >>>
                      >>> Thanks,
                      >>>
                      >>> Steve Kamerman

                    • Jose
                      Message 10 of 23 , Feb 15, 2010
                        Luca,

                        This is exactly the same problem I am having with desktop browsers. Firefox also has problems being recognized correctly. Granted our code is still using WALL and the old wurfl implementation.

                        But if this issue is now appearing on people using the new wurfl implementation then maybe there is something more inherit that needs to be taken into consideration. Maybe treating web_browsers as a patch (and hence not having pre-filters specific for desktop detection) is an approach running out of steam. Maybe we need to embrace web_browsers on the main WURFL and have specific algorithms to deal with them.

                        Some food for thought.

                        Jose Alberto
                        PS: Maybe Terra-WURFL will be willing to donate some of the experience on dealing with this problem. As it looks like he has successfully address this issue.

                        --- In wmlprogramming@yahoogroups.com, Steve Kamerman <stevekamerman@...> wrote:

                        > I was specifically referring to the PHP WURFL API, but either may benefit.
                        > I include the web patch with Tera-WURFL and it is enabled by default, but
                        > only a small percentage of web browsers end up being detected via the web
                        > patch because of the other logic I have in place. RIS operations are very
                        > expensive for desktop browsers since their UAs tend to be very long.
                        >
                        > Thanks,
                        >
                        > Steve Kamerman
                        >
                        > On Sat, Feb 13, 2010 at 7:01 PM, Luca Passani <luca.passani@...>wrote:
                        >

                        > > Which API? with ot without web patch?
                        > >
                        > > Luca
                        > >

                        > > jwalkerrrd wrote:
                        > > > I'm also having this problem when using the wurfl-1.0.1-rc3 Java API.
                        > > >
                        > > > My user agent for IE6 on XP is "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0;
                        > > Windows NT 5.1; SV1; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR
                        > > 3.0.04506.30; .NET CLR 3.0.04506.648; .NET CLR 3.5.21022; InfoPath.2)"
                        > > >
                        > > > However, it is matching to the HTC Pure mobile device, which is defined
                        > > in the wurfl XML as:
                        > > > <device id="htc_st6356_ver1_submsie" user_agent="Mozilla/4.0 (compatible;
                        > > MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; Windows Phone 6.5)"
                        > > fall_back="htc_st6356_ver1">...</device>
                        > > >
                        > > > I'm not sure how my user agent would be mapping to the HTC, as the HTC
                        > > user agent shows "Windows Phone 6.5" which is not in my user agent.
                        > > >
                        > > > I added the following to my patch file and it worked. But my user agent
                        > > only applies for Windows XP SP2+ (see here for IE User Agents explained:
                        > > http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms537503%28VS.85%29.aspx)
                        > > >
                        > > > Patch:
                        > > > <device user_agent="Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1;
                        > > SV1;" fall_back="msie_6" id="msie_6_xpsp2"/>
                        > > >
                        > > > But if I leave the "SV1;" out of the user agent in my patch, it still
                        > > shows up as the HTC phone. Since the SV1 only indicates a service pack on
                        > > the OS, if a user without that service pack comes in, I fear it will be
                        > > improperly recognized. Adding my "device" to the patch seems like a hack,
                        > > and I'm not sure it's correct.
                        > > >
                        > > > Any suggestions? How is my user agent being matched to the HTC since the
                        > > HTC contains information not in my User Agent?
                        > > >
                        > > > Thanks,
                        > > >
                        > > > Jon
                        > > >
                        > > > --- In wmlprogramming@yahoogroups.com <wmlprogramming%40yahoogroups.com>,

                        > > lot

                        > > detected
                        > > for
                        > > be
                        > > UA

                        > > Explorer
                        > > there
                        > > like
                        > > UAs in

                        > > references in

                        > > 3.0.04506.648;
                        > > know

                        > > http://www.stuarthughes.com/newdawn/product_info.php?products_id=57

                        > > 3GS

                        > > "x-user-income:

                      • Nitin Gupta
                        Message 11 of 23 , Feb 26, 2010

                          Hi Group,

                          I tested WAP pages of my app on Firefox browser by sending the UA request parameter as that of some random devices from wurfl.xml file. I am getting following exception for some devices.

                          java.lang.ClassCastException: net.sourceforge.wurfl.wng.component.Document cannot be cast to net.sourceforge.wurfl.wng.component.Head

                          Devices:

                          SAMSUNG-SGH-I320N

                          Samsung-SPHA580

                          Samsung-SPHA560

                          Please help me to resolve this.

                          Rgds

                          Nitin

                          P.S. I have not tested the pages on a real microbrowser. These tests were carried out on Firefox.

                        • Fantayeneh Asres Gizaw
                          Message 12 of 23 , Feb 26, 2010
                            Can you please tell us a little bit about

                            wng version

                            and possibly the jsp page.

                            Fanta

                              Message 14 of 23 , Feb 26, 2010

                                Luca, I understand. I thought if someone else faced this issue they can tell me upfront. We are using the rc1 release of WNG but one of my colleague has made a local release, possibly with some changes. Currently, we are using this modified version.

                                I shall rather check for this issue with my colleague first and will update the group on the cause of this problem.

                                Thks

                                Message 15 of 23 , Jun 7, 2010
                                  I am using the new Java AP with version 1.0.1rc3. I am using the latest patch, with the one addition I mentioned before:

                                  <device user_agent="Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1;" fall_back="msie_6" id="msie_6_xpsp2"/>

                                  However, as I feared, there are other UA strings coming in that are falsely being detected as HTC phones. Here's a few examples:

                                  Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 2.0.50727) is being detected as htc_st6356_ver1_submsie

                                  Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1) is being detected as htc_st6356_ver1_submsie

                                  Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; HCSC Custom IE 6 build HCSC20020522a; SV1; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.04506.30; .NET CLR 3.0.04506.648; MS-RTC LM 8) is being detected as htc_st6356_ver1_submsie

                                • fanta
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Jun 7, 2010
                                    Try Using the 1.0.1 release.

                                    Fanta