Re: [wmlprogramming] external style sheets - why is the gap against them?

  • Miha Valencic
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 2 2:50 PM
      Matt, as always with mobile development... it DEPENDS. :)

      Some devices don't cache the css correctly and will "flicker" (re-render the
      page when the CSS file is retrieved). Almost all of the devices will do that
      on the first request. Be careful to add correct expires headers on css
      files, etc. You don't want the device to issue a http request with
      If-Modified-Since http header, since that introduces a lot of latency.

      Some loose cache when you exit the browser (see above).

      But, all in all, some devices work as expected. If your users will mostly be
      regular ones and with good devices (good = good support for css & caching of
      the css), then go with it. If your population is general, just compact the
      css and be done with it. It's probably relatively small anyhow.

      hth,
      Miha.

      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 3 2:58 AM
        Matt Kime wrote:
        > i'm considering the usage of external style sheets for the site i'm working on. i'm curious why the global authoring practices recommends not using them. while the initial 2k and initial http request costs are slightly annoying, it would make continued use of the site much faster. do some devices not work well with external style sheets? are they a significant portion of the browsing population?

        I don't have anything to add to Miha's excellent analysis.

        If you don't believe us, try for yourself with any not too recent Nokia Series 60 device.

        W3C's BPWG recommends to use external CSS, but they are wrong (practitioners' viewpoint was granted limited weight in crafting that spec).