ASP.NET WURFL

  • nicroche2002
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 29, 2008
      Hi,

      I noticed that the RedCircle implimentation of WURFL had
      dotNet "Adaptive Control Behavior" awareness.

      Does the wurflNet version also support this feature?

      Regards,
      Nic Roche
    • Miha Valencic
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 29, 2008
        Nic,

        the WURFL .NET API (wurfl.marg.si) is designed to replace the
        browserCaps.config file (the same as RedCircle) implementation. Having said
        that, I would not rely on the server controls for mobile rendering, as they
        are limited in what they offer, espcially when it comes to forms.

        The best aproach at the moment, IMHO, is to go with ASP.NET MVC and Wurfl
        .NET API and adapt the output where you see fit. That way, you can cover
        probably 95% of your users, if you don;t need WML.

        If you need WML, then go with server controls and write some of the adapters
        yourself (you will need them).

        Hope that helps,
        Miha.

        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 30, 2008
          I am only vaguely familiar with the MS .net Mobile Controls. Is there a
          tutorial and/or introduction somewhere?

          I can put support for those in the roadmap for the WURFL .Net API, but I
          would need to be convinced that they are the right way to go first (I
          tend to trust Miha's judgement, and I read between the lines that they
          have become legacy already)

          Luca

          Miha Valencic wrote:
          > Nic,
          >
          > the WURFL .NET API (wurfl.marg.si) is designed to replace the
          > browserCaps.config file (the same as RedCircle) implementation. Having said
          > that, I would not rely on the server controls for mobile rendering, as they
          > are limited in what they offer, espcially when it comes to forms.
          >
          > The best aproach at the moment, IMHO, is to go with ASP.NET MVC and Wurfl
          > .NET API and adapt the output where you see fit. That way, you can cover
          > probably 95% of your users, if you don;t need WML.
          >
          > If you need WML, then go with server controls and write some of the adapters
          > yourself (you will need them).
          >
          > Hope that helps,
          > Miha.
          >
          > 2008/12/29 nicroche2002 <nic.j.roche@...>
          >

          >> Hi,
          >>
          >> I noticed that the RedCircle implimentation of WURFL had
          >> dotNet "Adaptive Control Behavior" awareness.
          >>
          >> Does the wurflNet version also support this feature?
          >>
          >> Regards,
          >> Nic Roche

        • Julio Rabadán González
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 30, 2008
            Hi.

            The Microsoft Mobile Internet Toolkit is really out of date. Microsoft
            hasn't released any update since 3 years ago[4], and the roadmap[1]
            seems to be abandoned. Some info is available at MSDN[2] and
            www.asp.net[3], if you want to take a look.

            Anyway, there is people using this stuff[5], and it works reasonably
            well (let's say "acceptable") with some manual updates. The controls are
            rendered to HTML 3.2, WML 1.1, cHTML and XHTML. Enriching obsolete
            ASP.NET mobile database with WURFL is very helpful and recommendable in
            this case, although I would not make it part of WURFL.Net API. Maybe a
            separate library extension is better to keep WURFL.Net API clean.

            I folllow Miha's suggestion. I think the best approach to create a
            mobile site with ASP.NET is to use a MVC framework (Monorail or ASP.NET
            MVC). Some kind of WALL port can be done for the views, getting all the
            power of WURFL. I have used this idea in one of my projects.

            [1] http://www.asp.net/mobile/road-map/
            [2] http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/asp.net/aa336586.aspx
            [3] http://www.asp.net/mobile/
            [4]
            http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9642963f-7c8d-4b26-a440-400e03ced4cb&DisplayLang=en
            [5] http://forums.asp.net/48.aspx

            Regards

            Julio

            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 31, 2008
              Thanks Julio, very valuable feedback. I'll try to keep an eye on this
              and see if bringing WNG to dotNet might be the way to go.

              Luca

            • Nic Roche
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 31, 2008
                It may be that Adaptive Control Behavior is actually modified with Marge.WURFL.

                On Architectural Overview of Adaptive Control Behavior

                http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/67276kc5.aspx

                it states

                "The default browser definition files are in the
                %SystemRoot%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\versionNumber\CONFIG\Browsers
                directory. Browser definition files that are specified in the
                App_Browsers folder for the application are merged with the default
                definition files."

                If it uses the Browser object rather than the definitions directly,
                and the browserCaps is set to Marge, WURFL may be the lookup for the
                output choice.

                At this moment I cannot verify it, though it would be a worthwhile exercise.

                Thanks,
                Nic Roche

                On Wed, Dec 31, 2008 at 7:21 PM, Luca Passani <passani@...> wrote:

                > Thanks Julio, very valuable feedback. I'll try to keep an eye on this
                > and see if bringing WNG to dotNet might be the way to go.
                >
                > Luca
                >
                > Julio Rabadán González wrote:
                >> Hi.
                >>
                >> The Microsoft Mobile Internet Toolkit is really out of date. Microsoft
                >> hasn't released any update since 3 years ago[4], and the roadmap[1]
                >> seems to be abandoned. Some info is available at MSDN[2] and
                >> www.asp.net[3], if you want to take a look.
                >>
                >> Anyway, there is people using this stuff[5], and it works reasonably
                >> well (let's say "acceptable") with some manual updates. The controls are
                >> rendered to HTML 3.2, WML 1.1, cHTML and XHTML. Enriching obsolete
                >> ASP.NET mobile database with WURFL is very helpful and recommendable in
                >> this case, although I would not make it part of WURFL.Net API. Maybe a
                >> separate library extension is better to keep WURFL.Net API clean.
                >>
                >> I folllow Miha's suggestion. I think the best approach to create a
                >> mobile site with ASP.NET is to use a MVC framework (Monorail or ASP.NET
                >> MVC). Some kind of WALL port can be done for the views, getting all the
                >> power of WURFL. I have used this idea in one of my projects.
                >>
                >> [1] http://www.asp.net/mobile/road-map/
                >> [2] http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/asp.net/aa336586.aspx
                >> [3] http://www.asp.net/mobile/
                >> [4]
                >>
                >> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9642963f-7c8d-4b26-a440-400e03ced4cb&DisplayLang=en
                >> [5] http://forums.asp.net/48.aspx
                >>
                >> Regards
                >>
                >> Julio
                >>
                >> Luca Passani escribió:
                >>
                >>> I am only vaguely familiar with the MS .net Mobile Controls. Is there a
                >>> tutorial and/or introduction somewhere?
                >>>
                >>> I can put support for those in the roadmap for the WURFL .Net API, but I
                >>> would need to be convinced that they are the right way to go first (I
                >>> tend to trust Miha's judgement, and I read between the lines that they
                >>> have become legacy already)
                >>>
                >>> Luca

                >>> Having said

                >>> as they

                >>> Wurfl

                >>> adapters

                >>> <mailto:nic.j.roche%40gmail.com>>

                >>> Groups Links

              • Miha Valencic
                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 31, 2008
                  Nic, that is exactly how it works. We are using that in our own platform.

                  The shortcomings of ASP.NET Mobile Controls are not only that the
                  browserCaps.config file is outdated (we sort-of solved that with Marg WURFL
                  .NET API which includes browserCaps <-> WURFL mapper), but that control
                  adapters are out-of-shape and can't really provide modern markups.

                  That's why we invested a lot of resources into developing our own version,
                  which is not "control" based, but rather XHTML based and we use adapters to
                  render HTML tags to devices. Our control adapters have also specific
                  knowlege of device bugs and also rely on WURFL data to do so (like css
                  specifics, requires <br/> after href, form specifics etc).

                  We also offer more markups than ASP.NET, of which all are valid. But, the
                  platform itself is not free.

                  <shameless plug>
                  Currently, we offer only hosted solution, or a per-project licensing of the
                  platform. The platform itself is much more than just adaptive rendering, as
                  you might imagine, but hosting a small site is on the cheap side (I think it
                  is around 200 EUR/month)
                  http://hosting.mobitel.si/Portal/Mp.aspx?ni=8
                  </shameless plug>

                  Anyhow, I hop that highlits my previous answer: if you want to target most
                  (not _all_) devices, you're IMHO good to go with XHTML markup. Use Marg
                  WURFL API to decide on image sizes, streaming video formats and whatnot and
                  output regular valid XHTML (you can also decide to output XHTML-MP or some
                  other variant of it) -- you can, of course use any other API to do WURFL
                  queries if you prefer it over Marg WURFL API. That will be IMHO the fastest
                  way to a working mobile solution.

                  I also suggest some sort of MVC framework (ASP.NET MVC or some other) as
                  this will give you testability of your app and clean separation of logic and
                  markup (and thus you can easily create multi-trargeted site).

                  Hope that helps.

                  Have a good one,
                  Miha.