Re: [wmlprogramming] Mini HOWTO: Content downloading (including iPhone - preview)

  • Juan Nin
    Message 1 of 22 , Sep 2, 2008
      yes, that's a good one

      I'm not using sessions on the content download site, but if you're
      it's a good idea to do this
      I think it was mentioned a couple of years ago on the list

      good catch!

      Juan Nin
      3Cinteractive / Mobilizing Great Brands
      http://www.3cinteractive.com
    • Juan Nin
      Message 2 of 22 , Sep 2, 2008
        Verizon does not support direct content download.
        They use a kind of mix between Wap Push and MMS.

        You send a Wap Push to the phone, and then a Verizon Proxy connects to
        the URL with a fake user-agent emulating the phone (it's not the real
        user-agent, it's a user-agent by verizon, but most are already in
        WURFL), the proxy downloads the content and then pushes it to the
        phone.

        On this case you can and SHOULD use the "Content-Disposition" header
        to specify the filename.

        Regards,

        --

        --
        Juan Nin
        3Cinteractive / Mobilizing Great Brands
        http://www.3cinteractive.com
      • hertanto_i
        Message 3 of 22 , Sep 2, 2008
          Thanks so much! I will use "Content-Disposition" like you said.

          --- In wmlprogramming@yahoogroups.com, "Juan Nin" <juanin@...> wrote:

          > Verizon does not support direct content download.
          > They use a kind of mix between Wap Push and MMS.
          >
          > You send a Wap Push to the phone, and then a Verizon Proxy connects to
          > the URL with a fake user-agent emulating the phone (it's not the real
          > user-agent, it's a user-agent by verizon, but most are already in
          > WURFL), the proxy downloads the content and then pushes it to the
          > phone.
          >
          > On this case you can and SHOULD use the "Content-Disposition" header
          > to specify the filename.
          >
          > Regards,
          >
          > --
          > Juan Nin
          > 3Cinteractive / Mobilizing Great Brands
          > http://www.3cinteractive.com
          >

          > On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 3:17 PM, hertanto_i <hertanto_i@...> wrote:
          > >> So no "Content-Disposition" header must be sent, or some phones
          > > won't > work.
          > >> And you need a URL like "http://wap.mydomain.tld/get/ringtone.mp3"
          > >> where you include the filename and extension, or some won't work
          > >> either.
          > >
          > > How do you include the filename and extension for delivering binary
          > > content, like for Verizon?
          > >
          > > Btw, thanks for all your help.
          > >
          > > Hertanto
          > >

          > --
          > Juan Nin
          > 3Cinteractive / Mobilizing Great Brands
          > http://www.3cinteractive.com

        • hertanto_i
          Message 4 of 22 , Sep 23, 2008
            I'm using .NET so I added this before setting the content-type and
            finally binarywrite-ing it:

            Response.AddHeader("Content-Disposition",
            "attachment;filename=""song.mp3""")

            but it didn't work. Do you have any idea where could i have messed up?

            Hertanto

          • copluk@gmail.com
            Message 5 of 22 , Sep 24, 2008
              what about mime type? are you sending it too?

              hertanto_i wrote:

              > I'm using .NET so I added this before setting the content-type and
              > finally binarywrite-ing it:
              >
              > Response.AddHeader("Content-Disposition",
              > "attachment;filename=""song.mp3""")
              >
              > but it didn't work. Do you have any idea where could i have messed up?
              >
              > Hertanto
              >
              > --- In wmlprogramming@yahoogroups.com
              > <mailto:wmlprogramming%40yahoogroups.com>, "Juan Nin" <juanin@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Verizon does not support direct content download.
              > > They use a kind of mix between Wap Push and MMS.
              > >
              > > You send a Wap Push to the phone, and then a Verizon Proxy connects to
              > > the URL with a fake user-agent emulating the phone (it's not the real
              > > user-agent, it's a user-agent by verizon, but most are already in
              > > WURFL), the proxy downloads the content and then pushes it to the
              > > phone.
              > >
              > > On this case you can and SHOULD use the "Content-Disposition" header
              > > to specify the filename.
              > >
              > > Regards,
              > >
              > > --
              > > Juan Nin
              > > 3Cinteractive / Mobilizing Great Brands
              > > http://www.3cinteractive.com <http://www.3cinteractive.com>

              > > > won't > work.
              > <http://wap.mydomain.tld/get/ringtone.mp3>"
              > > >
              > > > How do you include the filename and extension for delivering binary
              > > > content, like for Verizon?
              > > >
              > > > Btw, thanks for all your help.
              > > >
              > > > Hertanto
              > > >

              > > --
              > > Juan Nin
              > > 3Cinteractive / Mobilizing Great Brands
              > > http://www.3cinteractive.com <http://www.3cinteractive.com>

            • Sayuti Chow
              Message 6 of 22 , Sep 24, 2008
                hi all,

                I'm not sure whether this is appropriate, just wanna share.
                got the idea from this mailing list saying it's not a good practical
                to serve content by echoing as it will consume more server resources.
                I instead create a short pickup code that do detection about supported
                content type & sizes, then send a redirection header.
                Let the apache (web server) serve the file directly. So there's no
                issue on any http header that need to pass to client (handset).
                Of course before user can hit the pickup program, must pass some check
                point (like wap charging & msisdn detection).

                This techniques proven effective to speed up the file transmission
                also freed up some resoruces (processor & memory).

                On Wed, Sep 24, 2008 at 2:33 PM, copluk@... <copluk@...> wrote:
                > what about mime type? are you sending it too?
                >
                > hertanto_i wrote:
                >>
                >> I'm using .NET so I added this before setting the content-type and
                >> finally binarywrite-ing it:
                >>
                >> Response.AddHeader("Content-Disposition",
                >> "attachment;filename=""song.mp3""")
                >>
                >> but it didn't work. Do you have any idea where could i have messed up?
                >>
                >> Hertanto
                >>
                >> --- In wmlprogramming@yahoogroups.com
                >> <mailto:wmlprogramming%40yahoogroups.com>, "Juan Nin" <juanin@...> wrote:
                >> >
                >> > Verizon does not support direct content download.
                >> > They use a kind of mix between Wap Push and MMS.
                >> >
                >> > You send a Wap Push to the phone, and then a Verizon Proxy connects to
                >> > the URL with a fake user-agent emulating the phone (it's not the real
                >> > user-agent, it's a user-agent by verizon, but most are already in
                >> > WURFL), the proxy downloads the content and then pushes it to the
                >> > phone.
                >> >
                >> > On this case you can and SHOULD use the "Content-Disposition" header
                >> > to specify the filename.
                >> >
                >> > Regards,
                >> >
                >> > --
                >> > Juan Nin
                >> > 3Cinteractive / Mobilizing Great Brands
                >> > http://www.3cinteractive.com <http://www.3cinteractive.com>

                >> <http://wap.mydomain.tld/get/ringtone.mp3>"

                >> > --
                >> > Juan Nin
                >> > 3Cinteractive / Mobilizing Great Brands
                >> > http://www.3cinteractive.com <http://www.3cinteractive.com>

                --
                http://says-story.blogspot.com/
                just say what you want to say
                Message 7 of 22 , Sep 24, 2008
                  some times you have to use server side scripting to serve the content.
                  i.e leach protection
                  or protection against re-download of paid content etc.

                  Message 8 of 22 , Sep 24, 2008
                    use wurfl database, as it is "worldwide supporting" every updates of new UA.

                    tq

                    Message 9 of 22 , Sep 24, 2008
                      What do you mean by mime type? If you're referring to content-type,
                      then yes, i am setting the content-type header too. Btw, to be clear,
                      the content delivery worked but when i tried to save the audio and it
                      went to the file name saving page, it defaulted to this weird numbers
                      instead of "song.mp3" like i wanted.

                      Hertanto Lie

                      Message 10 of 22 , Sep 24, 2008
                        i use server side code to deliver content all the time and my exprience
                        is that file name header doesnt get picked up with some phone browsers .
                        if thats the case usually scripts name gets used as fielname. to pass
                        tha i usually do urlrewrite to fake file extention
                        ie instead of download.asp?file=1.zip /download/file/b.zip

                        here is the classic asp code im using.notice hte ";" after filename . in
                        some cases it helps especially on mobile phones

                        Set objStream = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Stream")
                        Response.ContentType="image/png"
                        response.addheader "Content-Disposition",
                        "attachment;filename=ufym.net_"& myfilename & ";"
                        objStream.Open
                        objStream.Type = 1
                        objStream.LoadFromFile strFilePath
                        Response.BinaryWrite objStream.Read
                        objStream.Close
                        Set objStream = Nothing

                        or for chunked download for big files (over 4 mb iis limitation)

                        Response.Buffer = False
                        Server.ScriptTimeout = 30000

                        Response.ContentType = "application/zip"
                        FPath = strFilePath
                        Response.AddHeader "Content-Disposition", "attachment; filename=b.zip"

                        Set adoStream = CreateObject("ADODB.Stream")
                        chunk = 1048576
                        adoStream.Open()
                        adoStream.Type = 1
                        adoStream.LoadFromFile(FPath)

                        iSz = adoStream.Size

                        Response.AddHeader "Content-Length", iSz

                        For i = 1 To iSz \ chunk
                        If Not Response.IsClientConnected Then Exit For
                        Response.BinaryWrite adoStream.Read(chunk)
                        Next

                        If iSz Mod chunk > 0 Then
                        If Response.IsClientConnected Then
                        Response.BinaryWrite adoStream.Read(iSz Mod chunk)
                        End If
                        End If

                        adoStream.Close
                        Set adoStream = Nothing

                        Response.End

                        Message 11 of 22 , Sep 24, 2008
                          Thanks for the reply but I'm actually talking about sending binary
                          content to Verizon phones which, like Juan Nin said on previous posts,
                          is a little bit different. For other carriers that don't do it this
                          way, i was pretty successful. I was able to deliver the audio and it
                          recognized the file name I specified by using the url trick of adding
                          the file name + extension in the back.

                          Message 12 of 22 , Sep 24, 2008
                            sorry i have no exprience with verizon but as far as i can see from my
                            server logs there are many users from verizon that can access and
                            download, but again, i can not say if user exprience was normal as expected.
                            what sort of request made by the proxy? can you see server logs?may be
                            you might want to look at their developer forums.

                            Message 13 of 22 , Oct 1, 2008
                              why do you have so many quotes around song.mp3?
                              should be:

                              Response.AddHeader("Content-Disposition","attachment;filename=\"song.mp3\"");

                              or something like:

                              Response.AddHeader("Content-Disposition","attachment;filename=\"" +
                              filename +"\"");

                              Message 14 of 22 , Oct 7, 2008
                                It's because I'm using VB .NET and to have " inside a string in VB
                                .NET, you need to use "". \" is for C#.

                                Then again, are you sure HTTP headers is not being ignored in this
                                case? I think somebody actually told me that HTTP headers are not
                                being passed through using WAP PUSH?

                                Thanks Juan,
                                Hertanto