Re: [wmlprogramming] Re: noscript tag

    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 6, 2008
      > regarding document.write, i thought that was the simplest and most
      > supported solution. I can also create the element via DOM, is that
      > recommended?

      document.write() is a hack. It always was. Admittedly it's a hack that's
      relatively easy to support for browser manufacturers. The implication of
      this may well be that it works on more devices than DOM (I have no data
      to confirm or refute this).

      The point that I would like to make, though, is that JavaScript and Ajax
      are much less useful in mobile than they are on the full web in terms of
      actual UX improvements, so if one has to do it, they might at least
      start doing it properly, rather than starting off with a huge luggage of
      legacy devices to support with all sorts of hacks.

      Luca

      PS: I am fully aware that my words above may start a brawl :)

      WhoIsStan wrote:
      > thanks for all the input, i was considering an embedded clear pixel
      > for a tracking solution, i got a solution for dynamic sites i.e. based
      > on java or php that call the clearpixel and submit the URL, referer
      > and so on. for static html sites that is more difficult, there is
      > caching, referer not well working, so i thought rather then embedding
      > the HTML tag for the image to have a javascript alternative that
      > creates the HTML tag on the fly and attaches the URL info, as a
      > fallback i had noscript in mind.
      >
      > but based on your feedback, that seems not a good solution at all.
      >
      > the wall tag solution is a great idea!!
      >
      > regarding document.write, i thought that was the simplest and most
      > supported solution. I can also create the element via DOM, is that
      > recommended?
      >
      > thanks very much,
      > stan
      >
      > --- In wmlprogramming@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Ebert" <chris.ebert@...>
      > wrote:
      >
      >> My experience is phone browsers don't handle script & noscript tags
      >> too well if they don't support scripting. I guess the extra 50 bytes
      >> it would take to ignore it gracefully are too precious.
      >>
      >> Probably best to make a conditional block on the device supporting
      >> javascript: I use JSP, so I'd write a tag to do it (something like a
      >> <wall:script></wall:script><wall:noscript></wall:noscript> pair -- or
      >> does the new lib already have that?) It makes it easy to support that
      >> sort of thing: you could even make it include a javascript or wml
      >> script block depending on the phone type.
      >>
      >> Chris
      >>
      >> On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 3:08 PM, WhoIsStan <whoisstan@...> wrote:
      >>
      >>> hey
      >>>
      >>> i have a question regarding the noscript tag, i want to embedd some
      >>> script tag with a document.write and if this doesn't work embedd what
      >>> is in the noscript tag. Does that work in your experience? I am not
      >>> much concerned about super old phones like a nokia 6600 or so.
      >>>
      >>> thanks very much,
      >>> stan

    • Jason Delport
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 7, 2008
        Using document.write() breaks web pages with a valid xhtml doctype and
        content type. Use the DOM to add data to the document.

        http://www.intertwingly.net/blog/2006/11/10/Thats-Not-Write