Re: Fwd: Problem with DRM 2.0 on some phones

  • Melvin D. Protacio
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 29 10:40 PM
      I understand, Luca. Thanks. Going back to the topic, how should the
      WURFL handle this kind of system? i-mode is really a big burden for us
      because of a different way of implementing things. I really have to
      say it.. F*** i-mode! Wahahaha! We thought that i-mode is just a
      different business model. But all of sudden, the consultant from
      nttdocomo told us that mp3 files are not supported on i-mode. They
      have a different file format for truetones which is MFI. Everything is
      a big mess for us now. Aside from DRM and different business model
      focussed on subscription, here comes the incompatibility of files.
      Java MIDP according to the consultant should be compatible with i-mode
      phones but we can't download even a sample MIDP application. It is
      like Doja Applications should be installed. In this case, the
      applications should be converted. We are acquiring MIDP applications
      from the licensors and there's no way that we could edit the source
      codes of the applications to conform to Doja.

      SIS applications and themes are also being studied if i-mode is
      capable of downloading these kinds of content.

      Generally, the user-agent of the i-mode phones uses the string
      portalmmm. I-mode is also an application to be installed on nokia and
      lg phones. It uses netfront browser. If i-mode have a different set of
      capabilities and formats, I think we really have to put additional
      properties for the WURFL to cater these capabilities. According to the
      consultant, and also on the website of nttdocomo, there is around 4
      million or billion (i don't remember really) users of i-mode around
      the globe and it is a pretty good number to consider. I just don't
      really know how many of which are using unique devices.

      In short, i-mode is really a way of restricting the capabilities of
      the phone by implementing its own format on the contents it receives.
      I have many documents for these capabilities please scrutinize if the
      capabilities on the matrix should be included as a capability on
      wurfl. I will upload the file immediately and if anyone would like to
      go into the details of each capability and file format that i-mode is
      imposing, pleas feel free to ask me. For now, in the Philippines, the
      launch of i-mode is on March 15 and it will be deployed to only 5 devices.

      Thanks,
      Melvin

      --- In wmlprogramming@yahoogroups.com, Luca Passani <passani@...> wrote:

> [...]
      >
      > Please accept my apologies. The file is no longer there.
      >
      > Luca
      >
      > Melvin D. Protacio wrote:
      > > DRM encapsulation on the fly is not a problem on our part because it's
      > > as if your just calling echo drm_encapsulation_header; echo file_data;
      > > echo drm_encapsulation_end; for every request to a file. Plus, the
      > > file_data is being cached on our server. By the way, the files are
      > > stored on our database and retrieval of data is done only on the
      > > cache. Essentially, if the data of the file is already cached, then it
      > > is not a very big load to our server. Our system would be more
      > > flexible in terms of functionality if we could accommodate several DRM
      > > methods. But with this flexibility, we have to have the RAW data from
      > > the file so that we could put the correct DRM encoding whichever would
      > > be necessary for the user-agent. With regards to the file for i-mode
      > > DRM, please send me a message via my email address mdprotacio@...
      > > so that I could put much attention to your message if you want a
      > > technical documentation with regards to DRM on i-mode. Then, I will
      > > send you the file in pdf format. But please, don't let anyone know
      > > that I send you the file because this information is disclosed only to
      > > us. I know that I'm crossing boundaries but I have no choice but to
      > > seek help from others. With regards to new capability property, it
      > > would be nice if we have that property since we now consider doja and
      > > other i-mode specific functionality on WURFL. I recommend that the
      > > property be included on the group drm with capability name
      > > doja_v_1_0_forwardlock.
      > >
      > > Luca, I'll be sending you the technical documentation for i-mode DRM
      > > for the benefit of the group or the benefit of WURFL. But please don't
      > > put it on the group files because this information was given to us by
      > > SMART Telecommunications via a consultant from NTT Docomo. I don't
      > > know if there would be a legal issue if there would be leakage of
      > > information.
      > >
      > > Thanks,
      > > Melvin
      > >
      > > --- In wmlprogramming@yahoogroups.com, Max Rozanoff
      > > <perpetum.mobile@> wrote:
      > >
      > >> Hi Melvin
      > >> I cant help you with imode DRM cause i have no experience with it.
      > >>
      > >> But i can give you an advice.
      > >>
      > >> I strongly not recomend you to perfom encode content on-the-fly.
      > >> Encoding process is not easy thing for server. If you have popular
      > >>
      > > content
      > >
      > >> such as mp3 song, think how many times server will encode it to
      send to
      > >> each subscriber who offered it.
      > >>
      > >> In my experience its much easy to encode it one time when you store
      > >> content to your database.
      > >> and then when subscriber ask for a content you will make a decision
      > >> which file from hard disk your
      > >> should sent to him.
      > >>
      > >> And my second advice is:
      > >> Its very bad idea to send content (such as mp3 files or images)
      using
      > >> own scripts, you need to use web servers for this.
      > >> When you sending a file with your script, it will busy with this
      action
      > >> until subscriber browser will not tell you "i got this file".
      > >> Sending even 50Kb can take lot of time, if subscriber mobile
      phone will
      > >> lost network.
      > >> So now think what will happen you will get another request while
      your
      > >> script is sending file,
      > >> in this case web server will start new copy of your script or (if
      > >> failed) answer 503 service unavailable.
      > >>
      > >> Also in my point of view any operation should be done only one time.
      > >> I.e. in your script you always must exclude same piece code into
      > >> separate function.
      > >>
      > >> Regards
      > >> Max

      Please? We