Re: Carrier and Speed/Latency Detection

  • monterey86
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 1, 2008
      For Carrier detection you might be able to grab the "x-up-subno"
      header. I'm not sure if all US carrier gateways provide this though.

      Jim

      --- In wmlprogramming@yahoogroups.com, "agoel96@..." <agoel96@...> wrote:

      > Anyone know how it may be possible to detect US carriers/operators? My
      > thought was to use an IP address mapping, but I have not be able to
      locate a
      > comprehensive database for this anywhere.
      >
      > Also can anyone offer advice on how to detect connection speed and
      latency
      > of a mobile visitor?
      >
      > Thanks!
      >
      > Abhi

    • kenneth gf brown
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 1, 2008
        only carriers using open wave as a gate way
        display that header.

        and if you sort by ips it misses whole swaths
        of carriers that "share"
        gateways

        kenneth gf brown
        ken@... http://www.shadowplay.net
        Phone: 416.342.0114 Toll Free: 866.590.0023
        Mobile: 647.227.0114

        FOR CLIENT SUPPORT PLEASE CALL 416.342.0114
        or email support@...

      • agoel96@gmail.com
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 2, 2008
          so is there no surefire way to get this information for US carriers?

          Are there many carriers in the US that use the OpenWave gateway? My
          understanding was the IP may identify a large majority of visitors.

          Abhi

          On 1/1/08, kenneth gf brown <ken@...> wrote:

          > only carriers using open wave as a gate way
          > display that header.
          >
          > and if you sort by ips it misses whole swaths
          > of carriers that "share"
          > gateways
          >
          > kenneth gf brown
          > ken@... <ken%40shadowplay.net> http://www.shadowplay.net
          > Phone: 416.342.0114 Toll Free: 866.590.0023
          > Mobile: 647.227.0114
          >
          > FOR CLIENT SUPPORT PLEASE CALL 416.342.0114
          > or email support@... <support%40shadowplay.net>

        • Gordon Scott
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 2, 2008
            Last I saw that header was really only available on Cingular, the CDMA
            networks didn't have it.

            >>My understanding was the IP may identify a large majority of visitors.
            You might be able to 'approximate' this for the large carriers like Verizon
            and Sprint, but I think you'll find that many of the smaller carriers such
            as Alltel or Midwest etc will being sharing IPs with the large carriers.

            >>so is there no surefire way to get this information for US carriers?
            If you inspect the raw headers of the request you'll see some strings that
            may help indicate the carrier such as
            'cingular', 'sprintpcs', 'vzw' but they aren't always in the same header.

          • agoel96@gmail.com
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 2, 2008
              Thanks Gordon. Now how about speed detection? Does anyone have experience
              with this? I have created a small 60k image download to estimate speed which
              will only be performed once in a session. Does anyone have any better ideas
              for this?

              Abhi

              On 1/2/08, Gordon Scott <gscott2112@...> wrote:

              > Last I saw that header was really only available on Cingular, the CDMA
              > networks didn't have it.
              >
              > >>My understanding was the IP may identify a large majority of visitors.
              > You might be able to 'approximate' this for the large carriers like
              > Verizon
              > and Sprint, but I think you'll find that many of the smaller carriers such
              > as Alltel or Midwest etc will being sharing IPs with the large carriers.
              >
              > >>so is there no surefire way to get this information for US carriers?
              > If you inspect the raw headers of the request you'll see some strings that
              > may help indicate the carrier such as
              > 'cingular', 'sprintpcs', 'vzw' but they aren't always in the same header.

            • Nigel Choi
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 2, 2008
                IP address ranges is a good way to detect carriers. I've used IP
                address ranges collected over time and verified by running whois using
                the IP addresses. There is a WURFL-like database of IP address range
                to carrier called GURFL. It's a good starting point. http://www.whirlymobile.com/resources/gurfl/operator.csv

                And I think some carriers, like AT&T, publish their gateway IP ranges
                in their developer web site. I haven't checked since they change their
                name from Cingular however.

                But yeah, it'll be nice if carriers are more friendly like those in
                Japan, who publish their IP address and keep them up to date.

                AU by KDDI, AKA EZWeb
                http://www.au.kddi.com/ezfactory/tec/spec/ezsava_ip.html

                NTT DoCoMo
                http://www.nttdocomo.co.jp/service/imode/make/content/ip/

                SoftBank, formerly Vodafone Japan
                http://developers.softbankmobile.co.jp/dp/tech_svc/web/ip.php

                Nigel.

              • agoel96@gmail.com
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 2, 2008
                  Thanks Nigel, I have seen that link and the list is acutally quite limited
                  for US. Would you be willing to share the list you have pulled together
                  over time?

                  I dont know when US carriers will get their act in gear and start providing
                  this sort of basic "stuff"

                  Abhi

                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 3, 2008
                    I am pretty busy with all the new WURFL stuff, but once it has
                    stabilized, I would like to take up GURFL as a project again: providing
                    the API and giving the community a simple way to provide the data.
                    Which conclusion did we reach about how to best describe IP ranges?

                    Luca

                  • Jose Alberto Fernandez
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jan 3, 2008
                      Hi Lucca,

                      A good IP based operator detection is something that would be great to
                      have.

                      On my dealings with operators they really are used to describe their
                      ranges using the "/" notation. You know: 123.456.789.0/15 meaning only
                      the first 15 bits are significative. Can't recall its proper name.

                      It is the most compact way and in much common use as IP ranges get
                      narrower and narrower and people get stuck with things like /27 which
                      do not match to any neat range in any other notation.

                      BTW, I have some Java code that to check if an IP belongs to a range
                      specified that way. Not difficult to do, so you may probably write one
                      yourself. But if you need one I can ask about donating my humble code
                      to the cause.

                      On another matter, do you have a date in mind on when the new WURFL NG
                      will be available? We are a Spring shop and having a more Spring
                      friendly implementation of WURFL/WALL is quite appealing. That besides
                      getting all your new improvements on device detection.

                      Will WALL have improved support for CSS? Like being able to specify
                      the class of a WALL TAG and WALL deciding what to do with the
                      information? This is one of the reasons there are some other WALL
                      variants floating around.

                      Inquiring minds want to know....

                      Jose Alberto

                      Message 10 of 12 , Jan 3, 2008
                        > On another matter, do you have a date in mind on when the new WURFL NG
                        > will be available? We are a Spring shop and having a more Spring
                        > friendly implementation of WURFL/WALL is quite appealing. That besides
                        > getting all your new improvements on device detection.

                        the new WALL is ready and I am only waiting to find the time to write
                        proper documentation before I release it.
                        Right now I am dedicating 100% of my time to WURFLDB, because I believe
                        it's more important!

                        if you contact me offline, I can send you the new WALL NG packages, but
                        you'll need to figure stuff out from the examples.
                        And yes, CSS support is much improved now...

                        Luca

                        PS: Lucca is a city, not a guy's name