Recognize a repeat user? (cookie, session) ?

  • Steve
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 6, 2007
      Im working on a new portal and am going to need to recognize a repeat
      user how ever im not 100% sure how to handle this. My main code base
      will be PHP and I have read though some posts that cookies are not a
      good solution to this.

      My thoughts currently would be

      try cookie, if cant submit a cookie do a PHPSISSID but thats not good
      cause that only handles his current session and when the user comes
      back they will have to enter their info again ..

      so if anyone could point me in the right direction with this potential
      problem and how to get around it possibly that would be great.

      steve
    • Marten van Wezel
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 6, 2007
        http://www.thewirelessfaq.com/how_do_i_remember_users
        http://www.passani.it/gap/#BEWARE_OF_COOKIES

        Good luck ;)

        On Tue, Feb 06, 2007 at 09:48:56PM -0000, Steve wrote:
        > Im working on a new portal and am going to need to recognize a repeat
        > user how ever im not 100% sure how to handle this. My main code base
        > will be PHP and I have read though some posts that cookies are not a
        > good solution to this.
        >
        > My thoughts currently would be
        >
        > try cookie, if cant submit a cookie do a PHPSISSID but thats not good
        > cause that only handles his current session and when the user comes
        > back they will have to enter their info again ..
        >
        > so if anyone could point me in the right direction with this potential
        > problem and how to get around it possibly that would be great.
        >
        > steve

      • Andrea Trasatti
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 7, 2007
          A long time ago, when WAP 1 was the reality and cookie were far from
          being reliable, we chose to provide a unique URL for users. Reaching
          that URL would be equivalent to logging in with login and password.

          I can imagine a service sending an SMS or wappush with a URL such as
          http://m.example.org/auto/<md5 of something>

          This is feasible if the security risks are low. For example, I would
          suggest it for a ringtone site and would NOT suggest it for a bank.

          It's also a matter of balancing things. You could send that URL and
          suggest to your users to bookmark that page instead of the homepage.

          If the devices are WAP 2 and you're not struggling with some operator
          like Verizon or Sprint that can be very pesky, then I guess you can
          use cookies with many devices.

          I support Luca's warning about knowing that Cookies might not work,
          but you seem to have already considered an "alternative path" and
          that should be good.

          - Andrea